Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

MoP Demonology as tank spec?

I'm looking through new talent calc. And what I noticed is that:
    -Metamorphosis doesn't need Demonic Fury (or other resource) to last. It just lasts till canceled.
    -Meta gives crit immunity and big boost to armor
    -While in meta most of our spells become instant cast. curses, corruption, Hand of Guldan, shadowflame, Demonc Slash (which replaces Shadow Bolt and is instant).
    -We can spec into petless warlock that gains boost to HP

A crazy idea, but it starts to look promising that we're either getting more mele oriented Demo warlock, or even a possible tank role?
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

Deleted
    Without a taunt ability we'll never be tanks.

Without taunts, defensive CDs, Vengence, etc, etc, etc

I see it more as a PvP survival spell more than anything

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DemoBytom View Post
    I'm looking through new talent calc. And what I noticed is that:
    -Metamorphosis doesn't need Demonic Fury (or other resource) to last. It just lasts till canceled.
    -Meta gives crit immunity and big boost to armor
    -While in meta most of our spells become instant cast. curses, corruption, Hand of Guldan, shadowflame, Demonc Slash (which replaces Shadow Bolt and is instant).
    -We can spec into petless warlock that gains boost to HP

A crazy idea, but it starts to look promising that we're either getting more mele oriented Demo warlock, or even a possible tank role?
    I don't think it works this way. You can use Meta at any time but the length depends on how much demonic fury you have when it's activated.

But I'd love to see a more deverse roll of the warlock. Being a "melee caster" was a concept that I really like for demo, but there are to many problems in some encounters, so you couldn't always stick to the boss...

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPyramid View Post
    I don't think it works this way. You can use Meta at any time but the length depends on how much demonic fury you have when it's activated.
    It doesn't say it anywhere, plus you constantly generate demonic fury from corruption (+12 per tick), shadowflame etc.. so you shouldn't really run out of it (unless Meta consumes sick amounts of demonic fury)

But I'd love to see a more deverse roll of the warlock. Being a "melee caster" was a concept that I really like for demo, but there are to many problems in some encounters, so you couldn't always stick to the boss...
    If they change demo into more mele spec - you'll just act like any other mele character.

As for the tank abilities - adding taunt is just adding 1 more spell. For defensive CDs we already have Unending Resolve giving 50% dmg reduction. With voidwalker out we get a shield etc...

I'm not telling they are doing it, but the really could without many further changes.
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

Nope, not going to happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    Would be awesome though, with a caster tank. More classes that can go tank, means more tanks over, which in turn means less wait time on tanks. If possible, and at all reasonable for that class, they should strive to give pure DPS classes an offspec.
    Cerunnir - Frost/Blood Death Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    Quoted for truth. I really wish posts about Demotanks would cease. There was a really good post made detailing EVERYTHING (and there was a lot) that would need to be given to Demo in order to tank effectively; it's more than just needing a taunt. The spec has no pushback protection, no increased threat, no taunts, no mitigation outside of Demoform itself (i.e. no dodge or parry), etc.
    Those who you know as Warlocks are your Salvation through Destruction. You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowygoodness View Post
    Quoted for truth. I really wish posts about Demotanks would cease. There was a really good post made detailing EVERYTHING (and there was a lot) that would need to be given to Demo in order to tank effectively; it's more than just needing a taunt. The spec has no pushback protection, no increased threat, no taunts, no mitigation outside of Demoform itself (i.e. no dodge or parry), etc.
    Which doesn't mean it cannot be done.
    I've given up on my warlock a patch ago because I was tired of only having 3 ranged caster specs avaible. I've played all three specs, and in the end - it was nearly the same.. And that is the biggest problem with "pure" classes in wow.. When you want a change you have to reroll (which I did).. Shamans can be mele/ranged DPS and healers - there's so many possibilities for different playstyles.
    If they change at least one lock spec into either mele spec or even a tank spec - I'd go back playing it.
    ^------True story!!

Deleted
    Warlocks have taunt, remember that stats, healing and damage are shared to your pet with soul link. And Voidwalker have taunt. Also, Unending Resolve is now a very hard damage reduction (50%). Last the agro thing. Thats weird but...

Btw i dont like the idea of Demon warlocks being tanks, i love dps and demon is my fav spec.
    Last edited by mmoc5ada70423c; 2012-02-16 at 08:55 AM.

Deleted
    I love the idea and some changes realy make "additional sense" if you look at them that way, but I can't see Blizzard spending the effort to go there.
    If they don't remove the DPS aspect of Demonology, which I hope they won't, it will be hard to balance in pve and even more so in pvp.
    But perhaps it could be good enough for dungeons ^^

It has been clarified previously that Meta will have a duration based on the amount of demonic fury you had at its activation.
    So without a cooldown potentially yes, but will last only for shorter periods of time the more frequently it is used.
    Actually meta having potential for short-lived trash, something it simply wasn't viable for previously.

Warlocks are NOT going to be tanks.
    When are people going to get their heads around that.

Hey we don't know the gylphes yet... maybe there'll be a Glyph like "More aggro as demon" "Shadowflame no longer knocks back but taunts"
    And who says there are no wtf-buttons. What about Dark regeneration, Mortal coil, heal stone and Dark bargain? You won't need soullink since you would skill Grimoire of sacrifice

Tanks are based on avoiding damage as well as soaking it.
    Warlocks are simply not that and instead have selected options to reduce it rather than parry or dodge it.
    There are simply no avoidance mechanisms for warlocks.

However it does seem to be getting pvp options, from the snare and the potential to go into meta and leap far more often for nice mobility.
    Depending on how the destro embers self-damage works out then potentially demo could be a competitor for it and affliction in pvp.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2012-02-16 at 09:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tanks have abilities that use resources to mitigate damage in MoP. None of those exist in the Warlock talent trees. Furthermore, there is nothing in there to say we get any ability to parry or dodge while casting; and while so many of our attacks require a cast time this would be a major problem. Quit with the wishful thinking; what other tanking stance offers a DPS increase?

As Penguin says: Not gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Tanks have abilities that use resources to mitigate damage in MoP. None of those exist in the Warlock talent trees.
    Things are still in development and we're before the press news. They might announce something at press conference in march. Lot of talent trees and abilities are not yet finished (shammies don't even have lv 90 talents).

Furthermore, there is nothing in there to say we get any ability to parry or dodge while casting; and while so many of our attacks require a cast time this would be a major problem.
    In Meta form the only cast time spell is 2sec soulfire and drain life as channeled spell. Everything else is instant cast.
    ^------True story!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Malady isn't instant cast, and Meta is not a permanent state. I think it would be a major oversight to miss out abilities analogous to Death Strike or Shield Block if we were intended as tanks. Like I say, it's wishful thinking on your part, there's absolutely nothing in there that suggests tanking other than the already existing on live defensive features of Meta.

Demonology Warlock = Demon Hunter, and thats as far as it goes.

...and no without an addition of additional healers and dps, adding in a 6th tanking spec is not logical for balance issues.

I know alot of warlocks would love this.. But then we would either need.. Cloth with defensive stats, like parry/dodge etc.. Or somthing that converts intellect to dodge or somthing simuler lol..

Personally i would LOVE to see this.

I think they'll can do fine in Heroics as a Tank. WLs don't miss dodge/parry. WLs have a -30% dmg aura and enough wtf buttons.
    What really is missing is the mastery I think. But I'm not sure, they said they'll add more Skills for the Demon in Future.
    Last edited by Inukashi; 2012-02-16 at 10:18 AM.