Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    BTW, is there a limit on the mastery DKs can have? Does it only go up to a certain % or what?

Also, I got 3 +50 mastery gems, should I put em on any piece or what? If so, which ones would you put em on first?
    Last edited by Bryce; 2012-02-16 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by galook View Post
    BTW, is there a limit on the mastery DKs can have? Does it only go up to a certain % or what?
    Not anything realistically achievable.

Also, I got 3 +50 mastery gems, should I put em on any piece or what? If so, which ones would you put em on first?
    Gloves/Bracers/Feet, as you should be replacing those much later than the rest of your gear.

I was in about 391 gear when I first killed 25m H Yor'sahj.

My tips are as follows:

Rune = Spellshattering
    Meta gem = Spell damage reduction
    Use prismatic elixir instead of a stam flask
    Mirror of Broken Images (trinket from Tol Barad) is awesome on this fight, use it if you have it.

In 25m H I was taking with a druid tank, I would take the first 4 stacks and the druid would take the last two.

All beacons should be on the DK, call out for hand of sacrifice (if you have it) at 2 stacks, call out for pain suppression (if available) at 3 stacks, always use your AMS at 4 stacks. Sometimes the shield will break early, so if you have mirror, be sure to use it with 2s remaining on AMS.

When external cooldowns are not available use your icebound (3 stacks) and dancing rune.

You may have to edit this for your raid comp as I am not familiar with 10m version, but this fight is mostly magic damage so timing your deathstrikes and other cooldowns is key.

Good luck.

Deleted
    I geared very stamina-heavy for out Yor-kill, I realized mastery was a touch worthless since I was always capping my blood shield during the oozes (We had such good DPS that I didn't need to go and help on them) and by the time the shield went out, Void Bolt had become the real threat. So my recommendation is to gear Stam-heavy for Yor (i.e gem Solid/Puissant/Defenders for Blue/Yellow/Red)

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was iLvl 378 when I used my alt to tank HM Yor'sahj (10man) for our first 3 kills. Certainly in 10 man HM we (as in blood DKs) trivialise the encounter. In fact I'd say the main problem with my item level at that time was not my survivability but the lack of DPS output which would have been helpful.
    This one girl...

You should be able to tank Yor'sahj just fine in your current gear. Just a few tips:
    After he starts channeling to summon new oozes, refresh your Bone Shield then.
    Make sure to build up a max Blood Shield before he gets done channeling his summon. He doesn't hit hard so you'll be able to maintain Blood Shield pretty much the entire fight as long as you don't mess up.
    Epidemic doesn't effect Scarlet Fever so if Black adds are lasting more than 20 seconds don't forget to debuff them again.
    Mastery hardly does anything for you on this fight so if you are using Mastery trinkets swap to double Stam to give your healers that extra buffer.

Good luck.
    -Estra

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    We're going to run through HM Firelands this weekend to farm for a staff, so I'm going to bring my DK in there to hopefully to a stam trinket, one off beth, etc. How is the HM greataxe off shannox?

Is it that DKs basically take no physical damage that makes them so good on this fight? I'm trying to find out why DKs are so good for it. Because I can build up a blood shield for the melee and take next to no damage from that, then I have good cooldowns for the void bolts, etc?

We're going to run through HM Firelands this weekend to farm for a staff, so I'm going to bring my DK in there to hopefully to a stam trinket, one off beth, etc. How is the HM greataxe off shannox?
    Better than anything you'll get until Yor'sahj's Axe.

Is it that DKs basically take no physical damage that makes them so good on this fight?
    Not entirely, but partly. If you look at the other tanks, look at what cooldowns they have that work against magic. Not a ton, and they're not all that powerful either. The closest competition would be glyphed DP. That doesn't compete with AMS on a 45s CD.

On top of that, and most importantly, you can "block" magical damage. You take 'x' amount of magical damage, and you'll heal 29% of it back. No other tank can compete with that. His melee hits aren't really that threatening, which is why nobody talks about his melee swings. His magical damage is insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Extropian View Post
    I was in about 391 gear when I first killed 25m H Yor'sahj.

My tips are as follows:

Rune = Spellshattering
    Meta gem = Spell damage reduction
    Use prismatic elixir instead of a stam flask
    Mirror of Broken Images (trinket from Tol Barad) is awesome on this fight, use it if you have it.

In 25m H I was taking with a druid tank, I would take the first 4 stacks and the druid would take the last two.

All beacons should be on the DK, call out for hand of sacrifice (if you have it) at 2 stacks, call out for pain suppression (if available) at 3 stacks, always use your AMS at 4 stacks. Sometimes the shield will break early, so if you have mirror, be sure to use it with 2s remaining on AMS.

When external cooldowns are not available use your icebound (3 stacks) and dancing rune.

You may have to edit this for your raid comp as I am not familiar with 10m version, but this fight is mostly magic damage so timing your deathstrikes and other cooldowns is key.

Good luck.
    very similar in every way cept the 4 stacks. while im pretty sure i could survive that, we found it much easier for him to take 2, me (DK) taunt, take 3, him (druid) taunt and take the last one. neither of us ever takes too deadly of a DoT at that point

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ive farmed HoT every day, every chance I can get. Ive ran randoms until I've got it and that trinket WILL NOT DROP for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth View Post
    I solo tanked it yesterday and my average ilvl was only 377, which included some dps plate and no set bonuses. DK tanks seems to have a much easier time of it than our warrior tanks.

Discussing runeforges:

I'm not completely convinced that 2% stam on SSG is better than 4% parry on Swordshattering, but everyone keeps insisting that the unavoidable damage is high so the stam is better for blood shielding. My question is: why don't we use the Spellshattering runeforge to reduce spell damage by 4%?
    Spellshattering is better for this fight, I just use SSG since you can quite easily tank the whole of DS with it and not have to go out to runeforge between fights.

---------- Post added 2012-02-17 at 08:47 PM ----------

Is it that DKs basically take no physical damage that makes them so good on this fight? I'm trying to find out why DKs are so good for it. Because I can build up a blood shield for the melee and take next to no damage from that, then I have good cooldowns for the void bolts, etc?
    The four main reasons that DKs are so good at this fight are:

No physical damage due to capping blood shield during slime spawns.
    AMS every phase.
    4 set VB every phase.
    Self healing with DS/RT which doesn't stack debuffs. (you can also give a bit of party healing with glyphed RT).

The 4 set VB isn't essential, but, depending on the ooze combos, it's excellent. Helping healers with it is always a bonus.

i dont have access to the numbers atm, but iirc DKs take 2% less magical damage than warriors/paladins all passives considered. another HUGE part: bone shield.
    the only things that take away from your bone shield are: melee hits (lol those happen? all are fully blocked by blood shield so its a non issue), the chain thing for red phase, and the application of the bolt itself. so you can keep bone shield up 95-100% of the time, making EVERYTHING in the fight hit 20% softer.

before we switched to the 2-3-1 strat we had myself and a warrior tanking. on one wipe i took 21 applications, he took 15 (just taking them at 3-3) his block and my blood shield considered, i had taken 66% of the damage he had from the bolt/DoT as he had. i personally take the first bolt. just before the second i pop the TB trinket (mirror of somethingness), then just before the 3rd i pop AMS. the DoT still applies but there is no spike damage as the bolt only hits for like 5000 damage, then the next 2-3 ticks hit for about the same.

most purple phases i'd have 2 stacks or so of deep corruption per application, the rest i can keep myself healed (using icebound for the first, and if we get 2 purples back to back adding in whatever the ability that turns me undead is called so i can deathcoil myself).

vampiric blood is not my own i have to use it as a raid CD each phase

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    So, should I have my VT glyphed or unglyphed for this fight with a 4 set?

And do I not use heart strike any since it eats up the runes for death strikes? Bascially rune strike, rune strike, ds, ds, etc?

Just to mention the reccomendation usage of IBF while getting yellow ooze.
    You are only mentioning how to deal with the debuffs, there are more mechanics to worry about like purple and green oozes, i would like to get an explanation what do you do in order to deal with them or when healers under mana voids.

Quote Originally Posted by eijin View Post
    the only things that take away from your bone shield are: melee hits (lol those happen? all are fully blocked by blood shield so its a non issue), the chain thing for red phase, and the application of the bolt itself. so you can keep bone shield up 95-100% of the time, making EVERYTHING in the fight hit 20% softer.
    The actual Void Bolt cast will eat one of the charges but not the DoT itself because Blood Shield doesn't absorb magic damage. Last week I was able to keep around 66% uptime on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JackTheLad View Post
    Just to mention the reccomendation usage of IBF while getting yellow ooze.
    You are only mentioning how to deal with the debuffs, there are more mechanics to worry about like purple and green oozes, i would like to get an explanation what do you do in order to deal with them or when healers under mana voids.
    The only time I use IBF is when we get Red, Black, Yellow to allow healers to focus more on keeping the raid up.
    In our 10 man we prioritize Green > Yellow.
    If the oozes are Red/Black/Yellow/x, we kill x and either cooldown or Heroism through it.
    Mana Voids generally aren't an issue because when the first one goes out everyone uses their mana regen abilities and leaves the Void up so when a 2nd one is spawned they can kill the old one and get mana back.
    Generally I'll use DRW whenever Black adds spawn to do more AoE damage but if damage intake is an issue during Yellow save it for those.
    AMS should be used every time he's active. After the first 5 stacks go out you can generally use it whenever and get the full absorb value from it.
    Bone Shield I recast every time he starts channeling oozes. Reason being is I'll get 20% damage reduction for the remainder of the DoT then I can get it on CD early, so if we get a high tank damage ooze comp Bone Shield will be available to use if needed when the old one fades off.

Hope that helps.
    -Estra

Quote Originally Posted by learntotank View Post
    The actual Void Bolt cast will eat one of the charges but not the DoT itself because Blood Shield doesn't absorb magic damage. Last week I was able to keep around 66% uptime on it.
    -Estra
    thats what i ment, may not have said it clearly. my bone shield only drops -ever- durring phases with red, and usually even then it dosnt drop. other than that i just lose 3 charges every 90 seconds. on my kill i only lost my bone shield twice, blood shield had about a 90% uptime (i took melee hits im a bad DK <hangs head> )

Quote Originally Posted by Rukif View Post
    I was in the same situation with you, I had to reroll my prot pala to a blood dk.
    I geared an alt dk for heroic madness instead of my paladin, but I don't see why you would need to for Yor'sahj. With glyphed divine protection + tol'barad trinket it's not at all hard to stay alive.

Anyways, I tanked it on my DK in probably 388 gear or so without a TB trinket. It's rather hard to die as long as you use cooldowns + deathstrike intelligently.

Well tbh this fight is all about not to get your BS drop from my recall.
    Other stuff can be handle with soft/healer cds (IBF on the deadly yellow and red combo probably). Don't lose concentration which lead to a BS lose or the melee and the magical attacks will slice you appart. Nice thing i found out for emergency BS stack is bursting DS with ERW under Vortex trinket procs.
    10 man tanking is WAY easier than 25 xD at the begining of the phases i rarely need any CDs, and on higher stacks of debuff DS heals harder if timed correctly.
    Well i guess it due the fact i'm 397 ilvl xD
    BTW the tip with the Bone shield really helps, although i'd cast it after 3 stacks because usually i ended up with 9 stacks.

Anyways, mainly this fight designed for DPS and healing focus, sometimes i feel like falling asleep on the keyboard ><

Deleted
    It's quite easily done. Stack stamina and mastery, go for the spell runeforge which I forgot the name of. Most of the damage is magical, therefore the stamina and runeforge. Make sure you spread your dots to the adds, so they deal less damage.