Poll: how big is guild wars 2 compared to wow

Thread: world size

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

world size

So I was just wondering, how big is the world compared to Azeroth, Outlands or dont we know yet?

If Azeroth/Outlands were 5 on a scale of 1-10 what would guild wars 2 be?

Quote Originally Posted by Epuration View Post
    So I was just wondering, how big is the world compared to Azeroth, Outlands or dont we know yet?

If Azeroth/Outlands were 5 on a scale of 1-10 what would guild wars 2 be?
    We don't know really, only 5-6 area's have been seen and an area is approx the size of Durotar/Northern+Southern Barrens with a large part of Mulgore.

Enjoy that thought.

Deleted
    Well, it is pretty easy to estimate that GW2 at launch will be larger than Azeroth, Outland and Northrend combined all together. The question is, how much larger. I voted 10, cause I believe the difference will be huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    Well, it is pretty easy to estimate that GW2 at launch will be larger than Azeroth, Outland and Northrend combined all together. The question is, how much larger. I voted 10, cause I believe the difference will be huge.
    It's not easy, though, as we don't know the size.
    However, even if it is only the size of Azeroth, it will FEEL larger than Azeroth, Outlands and Northrend combined. Mounts lower the overall feel of the scale of the world, and GW2 will have no mounts. Ground or flying. May get ground mounts in the future, who knows, but for now there will be none of either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is there a poll for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Why is there a poll for this?
    I was just thinking that, lol.

OT: GW2 world will be larger (or at least feel so) because there are no mounts on release (or at all)

10+ Year Old Account
    If gw1 is a reference, the size was absolutely enormous. Now gw2 won't be as big as GW1 + 2 campaigns + expansion, but it will be quite big. We'll know soon enough
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Anet keep saying its massive and such so i choose 10..

10+ Year Old Account
    Polls are to judge opinion, yet you're asking for a factual response.

hmm going by how big GW:nightfall was compared to Vanilla WoW (almost double size) i would say, compared to todays WoW, GW2 will be even bigger in land size

Full map of Tyria - http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/2/2...oBG_Medium.jpg

Now if they really allow us to free roam everywhere in GW2, i think its pretty "Massive" as they keep saying ^^
    Last edited by Lusitan; 2012-02-16 at 11:42 AM.

Deleted
    Came, saw the poll lacked >9000 option. Was sad.

I am expecting it to be absolutely huge. Damn you evil hype!

10+ Year Old Account
    no to sound like an ass but this is a very lame poll.
    this is about a fact, not an opinion and therefor i do not vote.

Big worlds are cool and all...
    but i prefer a small world with many things to do and great detail!! ... then vast landscapes with little detail and little things to do ...

don't get me wrong im an explorer at heart, but if there's nothing interesting to see then exploring becomes lame
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
    hmm going by how big GW:nightfall was compared to Vanilla WoW (almost double size) i would say, compared to todays WoW, GW2 will be even bigger in land size

Full map of Tyria - http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/2/2...oBG_Medium.jpg

Now if they really allow us to free roam everywhere in GW2, i think its pretty "Massive" as they keep saying ^^
    Um based on the size of that thing, i change my vote to er 100? LOL

yeah.. tyria is freakin massive (thats what she said)

10+ Year Old Account
    I chose 8 because you included outland in the comparison (and because I'm a realist). 10 if you don't include WoW's expansion content; but who knows, looking at the map of GW1 Tyria is a fucking juggernaut of a world.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Its important to note that not every part of that map had content in it though. I have a map that is absolutely enormous that Im using to try and figure out where the last 0.3% of my cartographer needs to come from () but I think its probably relevant to this discussion:

http://www.theamazonbasin.com/gw/fil...etaLabeled.jpg (Big file. No really. BIG)

Thats Tyria only and it doesnt include the Eye of the North areas, so what you wont see in there is the Asura city. Remember also that Elona (Nightfall) and Cantha (Factions) are intended to be distant lands, so theyre on entirely seperate maps, its only Prophecies and EOTN that share the same map.
    Last edited by Leben; 2012-02-16 at 04:56 PM.

Deleted
    Check about 2:46

Also... check WvW blog post and what they say about map
    Last edited by mmocf89c8b0f36; 2012-02-16 at 05:14 PM.

Deleted
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/306052

Take that as you will. The sources aren't really indisputable, to say the least...but it should give you an idea.

I'm expecting something close to what Guild Wars 1 had, which was more than enough, and perhaps a little bigger than what WoW currently has.

The poll, tbh, is pointless. Nobody who posts here will know anything close to the real thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Chrno View Post
    Big worlds are cool and all...
    but i prefer a small world with many things to do and great detail!! ... then vast landscapes with little detail and little things to do ...

don't get me wrong im an explorer at heart, but if there's nothing interesting to see then exploring becomes lame
    That's why I'm excited that there are no mounts in GW2. Since movement speed is comparatively low, things need to be put closer together, meaning a more packed world.

By comparison, a zone like Uldum in WoW is massive, but trying to do it on foot it will take you forever and you will be bored out of your skull.

One last note : in most games, water on the map is pretty much just a blank space with nothing to do. In GW2 they are putting in a lot on underwater content (about 20% of events).
    [quote author=ðεrfεℓ † καðαrηε link=topic=158876.msg2123362#msg2123362 date=1265649724]
    And who are you?
    Â A two-feet-tall midget dual wielding 5ft long two-handed swords?
    Â Or a blue-skinned half-squid-half-goat uncorrupted demon of light from outer space who is a wild shaman?
    Â Or are you a killed, then raised, then liberated, then killed, then raised, then liberated again human whose eyes used to glow not, then glow yellow, and now glow blue (I'm not even talking of your spine portruding through your skin, your armor and your cloak)(and the ability to speak without lower jaw)?
    Â Or are you an elf who can turn into a cat, bear, seal, cheetah, eagle and tree, but still has to use ground mounts which you magically conjure from thin air? [/quote]