Poll: how big is guild wars 2 compared to wow

Thread: world size

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    It's going to be smaller for one obvious, and several less obvious reasons.

Obvious reason being that it's just the initial release versus a game that had three expansions.

Less obvious reason is populating the world. Original WoW was a desert. You could go for a while without seeing anything of particular interest. Perhaps the best example of this is issue the zone of Silithus.
    On the other hand, from what we've seen GW2 took the same approach that blizzard took in TBC, WotLK and Cataclysm. Smaller sized, but densely populated world.

Deleted
    Hard to believe that everyone (including me) forgot about this :

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roudene View Post
    Hard to believe that everyone (including me) forgot about this :
    Good point.
    Also:

Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    Well, it is pretty easy to estimate that GW2 at launch will be larger than Azeroth, Outland and Northrend combined all together
    What??

I doubt it'll be that large. That would be absolutely massive for a release game.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-02-16 at 09:33 PM.

Bigger the better!

Deleted
    Here is a hint, allthough GW2 is not present.
    http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/read/16920
    According to this GW Nightfall is abut 200 times larger than WoW (15,000squaremiles comparred to WoWs 80 squaremiles).
    Last edited by mmoc410448ef5d; 2012-02-16 at 09:36 PM.

Take a look at this video, it's the Human starting zone of Queensdale. After 15 min of straight running around, he didn't even put a dent into the parts of the zone we can see on the map, nor even touch on any content.

Also, in terms of playable space, ANet has said that GW2 has more space than all of GW1 combined. They've said single zones are larger than all of pre-searing(and the catacombs) combined.
    Last edited by omlech; 2012-02-17 at 05:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leben View Post
    Its important to note that not every part of that map had content in it though. I have a map that is absolutely enormous that Im using to try and figure out where the last 0.3% of my cartographer needs to come from () but I think its probably relevant to this discussion:
    Have you used the Cartographer mod? It makes getting those titles considerably easier.

Quote Originally Posted by studkaw View Post
    Here is a hint, allthough GW2 is not present.
    http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/read/16920
    According to this GW Nightfall is abut 200 times larger than WoW (15,000squaremiles comparred to WoWs 80 squaremiles).
    I heard this map is simply wrong, 200 times larger than WoW is simply not true either, I wonder if Nightfall is larger than WoW at all.

It's not a fair comparison, WOW & Nightfall. You can't travel continuously through Nightfall or explore all the landmass. Nightfall is just connected fishbowl zones. Nightfall might be mapped larger, but it's smaller to the player in-game than walking from east to west in Northrend or north to south in Kalimindor.

Deleted
    Depends what you define as size. If you translate the virtual size into real life meassurements based on lore, than the comparison might be correct. If you on the other hand define size as the space you can actually travel on. Than we might have another result.

Here is an example:
    In WC3RoC it take Arthas one day to travel from Daggercap Bay to DrakTharon Keep. Let's say they traveled for 1-6 hours (1 to 6 hours). Meanwhile in WoW it takes like 5 min to walk.
    So the Loresize of this distance is (60 to 360)/5 = 12 to 72 times larger than the same distance in WoW.
    Last edited by mmoc410448ef5d; 2012-02-17 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    I heard this map is simply wrong, 200 times larger than WoW is simply not true either, I wonder if Nightfall is larger than WoW at all.
    Please remember that this map is about 2-3 years old now.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    A crave to Poll and yet do not understand poll.

For what shall I do.

I look to hands and cry.

Damn poll I say, and to sleep I go.

It will definitely feel larger because you get a proper sense of scale again thanks to the lack of flying mounts. I think that's more important than the actual size of the world.

When I drove around Jamaica, it felt like a huge place to me because of the mountains (which I hadn't experienced before at the time). Is Jamaica such a large place? No, not really. But while flying over it you realize it's not all that big.

I never minded it when TBC came about. But I noticed it a little at wotlk, and a lot during Cataclysm but flight really diminished the times I looked at a large construction at awed at its significance. Naxx felt like a huge, unreachable temple of doom in Vanilla vs. a stack of lego blocks floating in the sky in wotlk.

It'll be fine. By looks of things you will get the sense that the world is huge with lots of stuff to do so look forward to it.

Deleted
    It all depends on how you measure it. Using ingame measurements will yields some pretty bad results, for example Eve Online would be a ridiculous amount larger than WoW for example. But on the other hand there's almost nothing in those maps in Eve, and you move at hundreds of meters per second. In WoW almost every patch of land is detailed somehow, and you move much slower, so the world really doesn't feel an infinite times smaller than in Eve.

Deleted
    Wow's world size: Og/Sw + the relevant instances
    And a whole lot of space that is hardly ever used :P Gw2 will feel bigger no matter how small the world is from this perspective

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

I'd like to point out that the immersion in Guild Wars 2 will be different than WoW as well.

Let's point out Durotar.

It's a bald wasteland, with a few big rocks and a cliff. If you walk through it from Orgrimmar to the Troll Town (atleast) I'm 95% sure you hit auto run and alt tab it.

Following reasons;

Nothing will happen anyway
    It's a long run and it's boring anyway

Why will this be different in Guild Wars 2?

Where ever you are, whatever you're doing, you might run into a DE which bring you/someone or something to danger
    As I said in some other topic I can't remember and Colin mentioned it in the video; What the dev's love about GW2. All the small things in the world

Now let's bring to mind that WoW is 7 years old and GW2 will obviously be fresh. Leaving no real comparison between the 2 games.
    But in terms of filling the world, livability and size. Guild Wars 2 will have game.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's been posted before, but I don't think it gives any indication how big GW2 might be. I mean, Daggerfall is ridiculously huge, but most of that world is either randomly generated terrain or repetitive towns/dungeons, making it large but relatively "empty" as other posters have said about other games. In comparison, the other Elder Scrolls games have much smaller explorable maps, but with higher quality content per square mile, and more densely packed content so traveling isn't (a) boring or (b) a chore. They might very well choose to shrink the world slightly for Guild Wars 2 if it means they can make better content with which to fill that world. That said, obviously the best solution would be a huge world without repetition or large areas of no content, but that will probably only happen as new areas are added in expansions, etc.

Also,

Quote Originally Posted by fullygeneric001 View Post
    A crave to Poll and yet do not understand poll.

For what shall I do.

I look to hands and cry.

Damn poll I say, and to sleep I go.
    This is so true and oddly poetic that I just have to quote it.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    at Freehoof - lol yup, that's 4:30am brain processing for ya.