High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Radeon HD6870 not working detecting second monitor.

Hey,

I recently built up my shiny and beautiful new PC but the Radeon HD6870 graphics card will not detect my second monitor when I use the bottom DVI port.

I've tried switching the top DVI with the bottom DVI too see if it was the cable but it works fine, so I know it isn't the cables.

Some information that you might find helpful in this problem:

Monitors I use are: 2 x BenQ G2420HD 24 inch Widescreen LCD Monitor
    The DVI ports are both using DVI to VGA converters and then VGA cables into the monitors.

One more thing, I have also tried using a HDMI cable with a DVI port but it seems that both of the monitors just cut out when I do that and then the top DVI connected one will come back on the second I remove the HDMI cable.

Thanks for any help, it is really driving me nuts.
    REPUBLIC
    <Insomnia> @ EU
    16-man Nightmare Raiding
    Ranged DPS and Healers needed

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The reason is only one DVI port has analog output.

DVI Output Single-Link DVI-D x1, Dual-Link DVI-I x1
    D-SUB Output 1 (optional, via DVI to D-Sub adaptor)

I had the same problem.
    I ended up buying a DVI cable instead of using the adapters, but I don't think that's an option for you.
    Like this guy ^ said, you only have one analog ouput, and you need to get the right DVI to VGA adapter for it to work.
    I found this very helpful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface
    Scroll down and you'll see the different DVI ports because you'll hate to fuck up like and buy a different one that I needed :/

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dupin View Post
    I had the same problem.
    I ended up buying a DVI cable instead of using the adapters, but I don't think that's an option for you.
    Like this guy ^ said, you only have one analog ouput, and you need to get the right DVI to VGA adapter for it to work.
    I found this very helpful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface
    Scroll down and you'll see the different DVI ports because you'll hate to fuck up like and buy a different one that I needed :/
    DING DING DING, you have won the internet.

Thank you very much.
    REPUBLIC
    <Insomnia> @ EU
    16-man Nightmare Raiding
    Ranged DPS and Healers needed

Hello,

I am having this same problem. My alike monitors will not work in the bottom port.

What did you end up having to buy and how did you ultimately set it up?

Right now I have the top DVI going to a monitor and the HDMI going to the other monitor. Unfortunately, this caps me at 1920x1080 res, and I would like to go higher.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!