Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to keep the muscle you have and burn fat, I recommend boosting your protein intake and cutting your carb and fat intake.

One other thing, I also found that doing cardio in the morning on an empty stomach really helped. Your body doesn't have any carbs to burn, so it goes straight for the fat, and since it is cardio/aerobic, it shouldn't start to burn muscle for fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Your body doesn't have any carbs to burn, so it goes straight for the fat, and since it is cardio/aerobic, it shouldn't start to burn muscle for fuel.
    You have to be really careful about that, though. When you say that you actually should be specific enough to say that you shouldn't exceed ~55% HR.

My understanding is the biggest contributing factor to weight gain/loss and overall health, is diet. A good healthy diet boosts your energy levels and often alter your mindset, making you more focused, motivated and positive.

That said, I personally think diet is one of the hardest things to start.. I've recently decided its time I get my A into G too but I have no idea about nutrition, whats good whats bad. If you're anything like me, you don't care about the theory behind it, you just want a good diet plan that suits your tastes. I've been trying to find a good weekly meal plan for a while now to no avail - I would love to find a site that helped you create a customised meal plan for yourself, it would be a huge asset to not only the OP and myself, but anyone looking to make that first step toward a healthier lifestyle.
    When I say a customised meal plan, I pretty much mean:
    - Calculate your BMR and from that how many calories you would need based on your level of exercise.
    - Once you know how many calories you need to be getting, give a choice of number of meals - 5, 6, 7, you get the idea.
    - From there you could provide a number of different meal options based on preferences or dietary needs.

I pretty much made that up as I went along so it's not exactly a refined idea, but I'd love a website that helped me create my own meal plan, not follow someone else's.

The only reason the body cannibalizes muscle is because the body is not getting the correct foods to maintain the basic necessities to survive. So dieting to an extreme is bad. Counting calories is bad. Calories is the worst measurement to measure fat reduction.

The problem with diets, is that everyone reacts differently to the foods they eat, and or how exercise affects how muscle mass or fat loss is determined.

The best thing is to find out what body type you belong to and build from there.

I am stocky, I gain muscle mass quickly and fat pretty easily. So I have to be careful about the foods I eat.

My buddy is tall and lanky, he has difficulty gaining muscle mass, but he can eat 10x as much and not gain weight.

10+ Year Old Account
    if ur getting stronger and more muscular then you wont see a weight change so much as a physical appearance change, but if u look good u probably dont care if ur not light as a feather
    "Brace yourselves, Trolls are coming."
    Signature By: Mythriz

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmiggy View Post
    My understanding is the biggest contributing factor to weight gain/loss and overall health, is diet. A good healthy diet boosts your energy levels and often alter your mindset, making you more focused, motivated and positive.

That said, I personally think diet is one of the hardest things to start.. I've recently decided its time I get my A into G too but I have no idea about nutrition, whats good whats bad. If you're anything like me, you don't care about the theory behind it, you just want a good diet plan that suits your tastes. I've been trying to find a good weekly meal plan for a while now to no avail - I would love to find a site that helped you create a customised meal plan for yourself, it would be a huge asset to not only the OP and myself, but anyone looking to make that first step toward a healthier lifestyle.
    When I say a customised meal plan, I pretty much mean:
    - Calculate your BMR and from that how many calories you would need based on your level of exercise.
    - Once you know how many calories you need to be getting, give a choice of number of meals - 5, 6, 7, you get the idea.
    - From there you could provide a number of different meal options based on preferences or dietary needs.

I pretty much made that up as I went along so it's not exactly a refined idea, but I'd love a website that helped me create my own meal plan, not follow someone else's.
    A buddy of mine finally got around to losing weight and used one of these pre-designed meal plan things. He used the weight watchers for men thing, and he said it was the best thing he ever did. Some people just need the specifics laid out for them. My buddy couldn't do it himself, but he was really good at following pre-planned meal regiments.

Quote Originally Posted by ewhenn View Post
    Yes, you can do both simultaneously.

From Feb 2011 to Dec 2011 I:
    -Lost 56 pounds, 234 to 178 pounds.
    -Increased my Bench press sets (6+ reps) from 165 to 235 pounds.
    -Increased my Deadlift sets (6+ reps) from 175 to 275 pounds.
    -Reduced my mile run time from 15+ minutes to ~8:15 per mile over multiple miles.
    -No supplements or drugs, just a meticulously 'clean' diet.

I'm not going to lie, to do something like this you will need to stick to a punishingly strict diet, I literally ate the same breakfast and dinner every day the whole time, just adjusting portion sizes as I lost weight. You will also need to be extremely rigid with your exercise routine. No skipping, no pansying out, excuses are for the weak and lame. I broke 2 toes and was squatting 2 days later, and ran a 5K a week after that. This is the level of mental dedication it will take, you can't let anything get in your way of your goal.
    I applaud you sir. In a year and I've gone from 210 to 160 and can lift about 30% more then I used to.

To the OP: Its very mentally hard to achieve results like me and this guy. It sounds easy on paper but to go thru with it is tough and a life changing experience (for the better). You have to basically change your entire eating habits and lifestyle to a certain degree. The first 2 weeks suck, but you get used to it. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Froggy View Post
    The only reason the body cannibalizes muscle is because the body is not getting the correct foods to maintain the basic necessities to survive. So dieting to an extreme is bad. Counting calories is bad. Calories is the worst measurement to measure fat reduction.
    Not really. Counting calories can be quite beneficial.

When your body actually cannibalizes muscle (to an extreme extent) is when you get no nourishment for a long period of time. Otherwise people who fast every now and then (or consistently fast intermittently) would look like hell and whatnot.

It's all about knowing how to do it. Finding your BMR and then eating slightly less than your caloric needs for maintenance is just fine. A calorie (or k/cal) is just a basic measurement of energy. How your body gets/uses that energy is what matters. Genetics can play a role, but way less than you're actually assuming.
    Last edited by Radux; 2012-02-17 at 12:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Typical thread by you. Maybe you should talk to some one who is medically qualified to answer your question like a Doctor or something. I know it's more fun to come here and post asking people what they think but really if you are concerned and want a real answer I think you would have a better shot getting a legit answer elsewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Typical thread by you. Maybe you should talk to some one who is medically qualified to answer your question like a Doctor or something. I know it's more fun to come here and post asking people what they think but really if you are concerned and want a real answer I think you would have a better shot getting a legit answer elsewhere.
    You do know people that play games come from all walks of life, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    A buddy of mine finally got around to losing weight and used one of these pre-designed meal plan things. He used the weight watchers for men thing, and he said it was the best thing he ever did. Some people just need the specifics laid out for them. My buddy couldn't do it himself, but he was really good at following pre-planned meal regiments.
    Sounds like myself and a lot of other people out there. I think if I had been used to it for some time it'd be different, its that first step that's the hardest and that's where these plans come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    Not really. Counting calories can be quite beneficial.

When your body actually cannibalizes muscle (to an extreme extent) is when you get no nourishment for a long period of time. Otherwise people who fast every now and then (or consistently fast intermittently) would look like hell and whatnot.

It's all about knowing how to do it. Finding your BMR and then eating slightly less than your caloric needs for maintenance is just fine. A calorie (or k/cal) is just a basic measurement of energy. How your body gets/uses that energy is what matters. Genetics can play a role, but way less than you're actually assuming.
    A protein calorie compared to fat or sugar calorie are burned off in different ways and for different needs.

Have ever read what the definition of a calorie is?

Being in the AF I cannot allow myself to get big. After a surgery on both ankles I ballooned to 265-270 pounds on a 73 inch frame. My body fat was 30% (measured in a BodPod, which if you have access to I would suggest going for a baseline, the old BMI charts from the 50's are useless)
    I lift three times a week, my workout is about an hour to 80 minutes depending on equipment availability. I do 3 sets of ten, and I always use weight that while it challenges me, I also want to maintain proper form. Form is better than excess weight on a bar.

After I lift I drink a protien shake and do 30 min of cardio on an elliptical (my ankles cannot take the pounding of running daily).
    On Tues and Thurs, my no lifting days I cardio for 45 min.

Self discipline is key. You must stick with it to make this form a habit.
    I looked at it as a RPG of sorts. I have 'leveled' up my bench press to 245. Three weeks ago it was 235.

Diet matters. Less fat and carb intake, more protien. I would suggest finding what your basil metabolic rate is. It will help you get into the ballpark for how many calories you need for your age, height, weight, and activity level.

8 hours a sleep a night is ideal, I would not dip below 6 unless you have to. Sleep is vital to working out.

Biggest key is to stick with it. You will not see 'fast results' like those clowns hawking get small fast programs on tv say. You need to stick with it and make it a lifestyle choice and healthy habit.

Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Froggy View Post
    A protein calorie compared to fat or sugar calorie are burned off in different ways and for different needs.

Have ever read what the definition of a calorie is?
    Seriously. Read the next sentence. I'll even quote it for you:

How your body gets/uses that energy is what matters.
    Also... There's actually no such thing as a protein calorie or a fat calorie or a carb calorie. A calorie is a calorie. It's energy. You can get that energy by converting Grams of protein/carbs/fats to give you an idea of how many calories are in a Gram of that particular food.
    Last edited by Radux; 2012-02-17 at 12:37 AM.

Only people who have no knowledge about exercising worry about losing weight. Your weight made up of multiple things, muscles, fat, transitory matter & water among other things.

The reason "why can't I lose weight" is a stupid question is, you're not asking the right one. Are you losing body fat? Are you gaining muscle? etc. My advice to you is to completely forget about your weight. As long as you workout, eat healthy and keep a healthy lifestyle you will come to realize how meaningless that value is. You may not lose a pound but i can guarantee you'll loot fitter and healthier and happier about your life.

Only fat people worry about losing weight when they should be focusing on living healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    Seriously. Read the next sentence. I'll even quote it for you:

Also... There's actually no such thing as a protein calorie or a fat calorie or a carb calorie. A calorie is a calorie. It's energy. You can get that energy by converting Grams of protein/carbs/fats to give you an idea of how many calories are in a Gram of that particular food.
    Your right that there is no specific calorie type, but thats how people use the term. The calories from protein compared to other foods are burned at different rates, thats what I was referring to, I just didnt describe it better.

---------- Post added 2012-02-16 at 06:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ghostprotocol View Post
    Only people who have no knowledge about exercising worry about losing weight. Your weight made up of multiple things, muscles, fat, transitory matter & water among other things.

The reason "why can't I lose weight" is a stupid question is, you're not asking the right one. Are you losing body fat? Are you gaining muscle? etc. My advice to you is to completely forget about your weight. As long as you workout, eat healthy and keep a healthy lifestyle you will come to realize how meaningless that value is. You may not lose a pound but i can guarantee you'll loot fitter and healthier and happier about your life.

Only fat people worry about losing weight when they should be focusing on living healthy.
    I agree. OP, if your really worried about losing weight and being able to track it, use calipers to measure your body mass percentage, there are others ways but they are more expensive.

It technically is true you cant lose weight and build muscle UNLESS you are a beginner you will see both but after a while that wont happen due to 2 factors your body is used to the routine, secondly to build muscle you need a surplus of calories for your body to use as energy for repairing and building new muscle tissue. You cant expect your body to bulk up while your on a diet with a caloric deficit to lose weight.

But that's just my advice IF your a beginner then you will see results in both categories, if you've been doing your routine for a while then pick either bulking up or cutting.

You won't lose musclemass from losing weight, ask any doctor.

If you exercise and eat less than normal, you will simply start to burn fat. Muscles will only be "consumed" for energy by the body if there is no fat to consume - you may feel weaker though, but that's just because of lack of energy.
    No Screenshot. No Signature. From WMV or Ingame. Make it big.

Watch me create signatures on Youtube here - Watch my signature gallery here