Poll: Which old game would you choose?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Which old game would you choose (added Poll)

Hey Guys, I was just after a little bit of feedback/input.

I, with a friend, have just created a(nother) variety gaming channel on YouTube (don't worry this isn't an advert) for lols, but with a set level of standards. Along with current games and other programmes we have lined up, I want to do a weekly slot on older games that some of the younger guys may not have heard of that are worth playing, or some of the 'great games' just to determine whether or not they actually live up to their reputations - probably looking at around 8/9 years old at the very least. Call it 10 for round numberiness. It will be more of a first impression vid rather than a full on review, although I may cut to points later in the game to consider longevity.

The problem is that, whilst I have a long list of games I'd like to do, I'm struggling to nail down a first game so I figured I'd ask the people that I'm aiming at. Which old game would you choose? Anything from the original Unreal, Quake or Doom to Homeworld. Xenon II Megablaster to Star Fleet Command; Police Quest to Baldur's Gate. Leisure Suit Larry might be pushing it :P You get the idea though.

Thanks for reading, and for any responses should you choose to leave one :-)

EDIT: recreated to add poll (sorry mods). Seeing as I'm looking for quite a lot of community interaction with the channel, and I've been hanging around here for a while, I thought I'd give you guys first dibs. Multiple choices allowed, pick the games you'd like to see filmed first!

Please be advised this is not a comprehensive list of what I'll be doing, merely a list for the first game or two.

Some options have more than 1 game listed, this is because I see them as competing directly with each other at the time, and I'm happy to pick one from there.
    Last edited by Kendrel; 2012-02-16 at 05:46 PM.
    Youtube Gaming Channel - TheRamblerz. The Best Variety Gaming Channel in this Signature!

i7 2600k (Overlocked to 4.4ghz) ; Asus P8Z68 V-Pro ; 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    2x GTX 570 EVGA Classified - SLI ; 2x 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD; 2x 500GB Seagate HDD in Raid 0

Deleted
    I voted C&C. Easily one of the most enjoyable games I played.

Deleted
    Discworld, now here is a title that I haven't heard for a long time And Leisure Suit Larry is not pushing it

Deleted
    C&C, really awesome game, and the warcraft series aswell. Dem younglings needs to be educated in these kind of games!!111oneoneeleventwelve1!

10+ Year Old Account
    I do not favor any of those games :/ I wish I could vote, but they are either something I didn't enjoy or didn't get to play.

Edit: maybe Warcraft RTS but that's it

"We all die, that's just a natural part of life. But if you are living without a purpose, you're already dead." -Kiba, Wolf's Rain

Well I was at least able to pick a handful out of this bunch. Not that I disliked the others, I just didn't really play the others. :P And oops, I didn't see you list King's Quest until just now, I need mah glasses or something. >.<

Also... is Placescape a typo for Planescape? I voted for it thinking so, anyway.

Baldurs gate I/II are just pure classics

Soldier of Fortune was total garbage why did you have to remind me of that game...took years to get it out of my mind

Deleted
    Counter Strike (not source version)

Yeh that was supposed to be PlaneScape Torment - my bad, sorry about that. By the time I'd noticed I couldn't edit it.

And yeh, 15 games is fairly limiting, had I been able to add more options I would have done. Others I'd like to do at some point include such classics as:

Morrowind (perfect as IMO it's better than Oblivion, still undecided on comparisons with Skyrim)
    Freelancer - Incredibly good space sim.
    Total War the first

not to mention a few others. I will get round to doing them, but for maximum coverage I wanted to choose something that people may have heard of - I can go into some of the little known stuff later.

---------- Post added 2012-02-16 at 06:50 PM ----------

Yeh, I remember it as being pretty awful as well. But that's the point of the programme - comparing old with new and seeing if we really do have it worse now than then, or whether it's just rose tinted glasses in hindsight.
    Youtube Gaming Channel - TheRamblerz. The Best Variety Gaming Channel in this Signature!

i7 2600k (Overlocked to 4.4ghz) ; Asus P8Z68 V-Pro ; 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    2x GTX 570 EVGA Classified - SLI ; 2x 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD; 2x 500GB Seagate HDD in Raid 0

10+ Year Old Account
    Voted a few.

Didn't noticed Planescape Torment tho. Would've voted for that too.

You might wanna consider games like MechWarrior/MechCommander aswell. I myself loved those ^^

Liked the SoF option tho, used to play that game online like mad! Aswell as Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Age of Empires 1/2 Definitely!

10+ Year Old Account
    the old school text parser Sierra Adventure games. Leisure Suit Larry, Police Quest, etc.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Deleted
    abe's oddysee

Total Annihilation one of the best RTS games ever made.

Deleted
    Warcraft RTS is one of my choices but actually the fun I had with this game was more the fact I played it with other friends in the same room and I doubt you could show this with a video

Deleted
    DOOM and quake

10+ Year Old Account
    If we're talking about Warcraft 3 then Warcraft RTS otherwise Command and Conquer

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Not enough TA love in here!
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

10+ Year Old Account
    Warcraft 3 used to be all I played. Man was I ever so bitter when World of Warcraft was announced!
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to love C&C. I never got into Starcraft. Used to play dial-up matches against my friend in school. "Who picked up the phone? Damn it! I was winning!"

I also loved Unreal and all of the cool weapons and game types it had. To this day I have yet to see a game with as cool of weapons, imo. I want a flak cannon!
    I like sandwiches