HDD Disappears...

A few months back after installing my new mobo, my second hdd disappeared from my computer, its still listed in device management but I can't access it. Have anyone had a similar problem? And if you have, how did you solve it? All help is appreciated

Oh and the hdd is an Samsung Spinpoint F3 1,5tb drive, and the mobo is asus sabertooth 1155

Make sure it isn't be assigned a drive letter that's already in use:

Right Click My Computer -> Manage -> Disk Management -> Look for your second HDD and check what letter it is using, if it is using a letter that another device is using, right click the HDD and hit "Change Drive Letter and Paths" and change it to a letter that is unassigned.

If that doesn't work, try Culadin's idea below this post, if neither works you may need to reformat the HDD so that the OS can read it.

Off-topic: 5000th post =P
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-02-16 at 06:01 PM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Double check the SATA control mode in the BIOS. Quite possible your SATA control was set to AHCI or IDE in the old mobo's BIOS and is now different in this mobo.

Thanks alot noteworthynerd that fixed it Much love

Glad to hear it! I had a similar problem with a work computer a couple weeks ago... It couldn't see a USB flash drive because the flash drive was being assigned the same letter as a networked drive.