Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    It's got a 5v5 arena.

It's easier to balance all classes for 5v5 than 2v2 or 3v3.
    Yeah I know I just don't play enough to get a 5v5 together and I don't know enough gamers that are good at pvp. Also I don't want to rely on 4 other people for me to pvp but I still want to do ranked stuff.

BTW those cupcakes look great!

WvWvW will hold 2,000 people over 4 maps, 500 people per map and 666 people from each server.

As for performance, ANet has had 12 years worth of experience with this engine, it's likely to be the most optimized engine in the MMO genre. They've said that they are capable of testing on GPUs so old that they have to get them from ebay cause they're not made/sold anymore. That's around 2003 hardware. When they unveiled the game in 2010, they got about 100+ people on screen at once all casting spells in a small clump and it was holding at 10 FPS with only 3 years worth of development. If they were demoing on the best GPU at the time, that GPU now costs $80. With that in mind, given there's been nearly 2 more years of development with even more optimization, WvWvW should be able to hold up quite well from a performance perspective given the increase in hardware + optimization for the engine.
    Last edited by omlech; 2012-02-17 at 05:25 AM.

WoW sucked me in for 7 years. GW2 will suck me in for the next 7.

The amount of awesome in this game is far beyond what any of us can comprehend.

Where's that leaked WvW map?

Nevermind, the power of Google Images brought it to me.

Plenty of objectives, chokepoints and water you can use for amphibious assaults, and this is only a part of it. Looks promising!

Quote Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
    Where's that leaked WvW map?

Nevermind, the power of Google Images brought it to me.

snip

Plenty of objectives, chokepoints and water you can use for amphibious assaults, and this is only a part of it. Looks promising!
    This is only 1/3rd of one map.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by worprz View Post
    I hope this map is huge enough for me to do nothing but 1v1 or 1v2 type pvp. If not I have to wait until GW2 has 2v2 or 3v3 arena
    dont expect to ever see a kill fest arena

not until they bring back the GvG format first
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

10+ Year Old Account
    This makes me wonder about lack of subscription. Something as awesome as what they are talking about seems too good to be true. If they can make this stuff work, they will grab every pvpr out there. Then again, I guess box sales alone would be through the roof. Nothing will even compare. It will officially set the bar for the next generation of MMO combat.

I guess we will see soon. This will surely bring a lot more interest.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Reward View Post
    I'm throwing my money at the screen without any success... Anet! Stop torture me! I beg you!
    fun. At least give us ce info pls ^^.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by SarSil View Post
    Honestly, it all sounds amazing in theory, we all knew that, even before this new piece of info, but will it work? That's the only thing that worries me, and we will only find out when it's out...even Anet doesn't know.

DaoC had some good PvP, from what I hear, but I also hear about some big problems with that model.

What I'm saying: Yes, it does sound amazing, and yes, if done right it will be the best PvP ever...but don't get overhyped, there's a lot of obstacles to jump over if this is to work as intended!
    It had more to the design of the game as a whole than any inherent weakness with the PVP model. For one thing each realm had totaly seperate classes from the other 2. While each realm had something to fill specific archtypes and all critical spells were represented some classes just synergized far better due to the combo in their kits. that made the 3 realms hard to balance. GW2 all 3 worlds are going to have the same classes so no imbalance to be had there.
    Another weakness was the RvR was still limited to a single server. While 3 realms allowed weaker realms ot gang up on the dominant you still had the issue of population imbalance that rarely ever changed for the better on a specific server. With GW2 and worlds getting reshuffled on a bimonthly basis its unlikely any one server will always be the vastly outnumbered server. Due to match making eventually worlds with similar skill and population's will gravitate into the same rateing bands and be matched together more frequently.
    The final major issue was they way they handled CC. while they went through many iterations over the years near the begining it was possible to not only CC a target for over a minute but you could do it with fairly large radius AOE's. It's unbelievably frustrating to be part of a large army that is standing around unable to do anything because 1 or two players can lock you down while the other army assist trains each foe one after another. While they eventualy put in several variations of diminishing returns on the long CC and kept nerfing it time and time agian it was always an issue while I played. CC in GW2 seems to be much lighter, no one person can lock down large numbers of players for long periods of time or even a single person for more than a handful of seconds at a time.

GW2 seems to have taken many of the best parts of DAOC's RVR while not bringing along the baggage that caused problems in RvR. Heck they even put in the relic raids that were some of the most epic battles or most epic heists and escapes ever to be seen in PVP. The best part is everything people do out there will be useful to their realm. Even the least useful, fighting in the middle of nowhere can at least draw enemy forces away. blockading a road may be viable if you cutoff a suply line, taking a small camp may not seem like much but it can lower the supplies available to a fortress allowing a larger guild to take it. Anything you do out there from the lone wolf to the small band to the massive zerg besieging a fortress can hinder the enemy and earn points for your realm.

While its doubtful you'll have 90% of a server on the same page with strategic planing DAOC showed that often times large guilds will work together with other guilds to accomplish more strategic goals. In DAOC there were nearly always lone stealthers and small bands out scouting for enemy movements and reporting back to the realm defensive channels. Leaders arose that directed the bulk of the forces to take specific objectives. While not everybody listened to those leaders small bands would hit other keeps and draw off defenders that may have tried to reach the main keep or even intercepted reinforcements on the paths that lead to the keeps. The model worked amazingly well and there were far fewer worthwhile objectives to strike at than what WvW apparently has. While a cohesive strategy would work best just having the large organized groups go after the big objectives along with any tagalongs while smaller groups hit targets of opportunity should work just fine.

Who is John Galt?

It looks awesome and all, no doubt. But it has not taken away my fear of massive lag when even a fraction of those "hundreds vs hundreds vs hundreds" clash.

That is the only major issue i havent seen dispelled yet, granted i havent gone through every bit of information that has leaked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    It looks awesome and all, no doubt. But it has not taken away my fear of massive lag when even a fraction of those "hundreds vs hundreds vs hundreds" clash.

That is the only major issue i havent seen dispelled yet, granted i havent gone through every bit of information that has leaked.
    Keep in mind that WvW is a huge thing in this game. Not just something that's the for people to do if they're bored. Arenanet seems to really want to push WvW. That said, they will make damn sure it runs well, since having WvW be nigh unplayable due to lag will make the game fail.

If it works, I can see GW2 selling very huge numbers in the pvp-scene. The 5v5 looks to play like a cross between MOBA and MMORPG's, and WvW looks amazing.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Deleted
    Why did it have to take sooo long for someone to find out that RvR (DAoC PvP) is just the way to go? Why? /cry

Well I'm gonna be stuck in WvW forever, just gotta looove this! Even though I'm kind of disappointed that there will be siege golems instead of rams in which a lot of people can sit and work together but that's not really a big issue.

I'm surprised nobody is pointing their fingers saying "THEY STOLE IT FROM DAoC!" like they always do when it comes to other games. Oh I see, it's ok when A-net does it, but it's not if others do it. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silza View Post
    Why did it have to take sooo long for someone to find out that RvR (DAoC PvP) is just the way to go? Why? /cry

Well I'm gonna be stuck in WvW forever, just gotta looove this! Even though I'm kind of disappointed that there will be siege golems instead of rams in which a lot of people can sit and work together but that's not really a big issue.

I'm surprised nobody is pointing their fingers saying "THEY STOLE IT FROM DAoC!" like they always do when it comes to other games. Oh I see, it's ok when A-net does it, but it's not if others do it. :P
    Well, a lot of people working on WvW also worked on RvR in DAoC, so they didn't really steal it. Fan favorite Colin Johanssen, for example, is an ex-mythic employee, who iirc also worked on DAoC.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
    Yeah ill have to agree with this one... *drool*
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

Deleted
    I will live in this area, seem so epic. Hope there will be server websites, giving guilds different mission, planning strategys, would be crazy fun =)
    So... give me the game now, wont you?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    Well, a lot of people working on WvW also worked on RvR in DAoC, so they didn't really steal it. Fan favorite Colin Johanssen, for example, is an ex-mythic employee, who iirc also worked on DAoC.
    I know that and I figured somebody would come up with that. But that doesn't count. It's a totally different game and only a few of them are from Mythic.

I'm by no means saying that it's a bad thing...not at all, just had to grin how it falls under the blanket of silence when it comes to A-net.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm so making those cupcakes for my sons Birthday

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silza View Post
    I know that and I figured somebody would come up with that. But that doesn't count. It's a totally different game and only a few of them are from Mythic.

I'm by no means saying that it's a bad thing...not at all, just had to grin how it falls under the blanket of silence when it comes to A-net.
    True, and tbh, it is obviously heavily influenced by DAoC, which iirc Anet have said themselves, and a lot of them call DAoC their favorite game ever.

The reason why noone goes "OMG DAOC CLONE!!!!!!!!" is probably because everyone thinks it's too awesome to care about it
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

The reason why noone goes "OMG DAOC CLONE!!!!!!!!" is probably because everyone thinks it's too awesome to care about it
    FINALLY !!! DAOC CLONE!!!!!!!! ^^ How long did we have to wait ? WAY TOO LONG !!!

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

True, and tbh, it is obviously heavily influenced by DAoC, which iirc Anet have said themselves, and a lot of them call DAoC their favorite game ever.

I would say no one cares that it is a DAoC clone (at least the WvW portion) because for the majority of people that ever played DAoC, that was the pinnacle of world PvP. If another game can come close to matching it with updated graphics and the hope of a little less lag it would be a match made in heaven. I can't even begin to explain how excited I am at the idea that GW2 could bring back the most epic PvP experience I've ever had.