Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    And to think, in 45 minutes, that guy has basically been fighting in a very, VERY small area. Like an area maybe a fifth of the size of just ONE of those four maps, if even that much.

There was what, the mine, two small forts, and one of the keep gates? Running from place to place and just continually fighting various objectives all seemed to flow very well, too. I think the gates might be a little too tough to destroy though, given that it barely took damage while he was wailing on one with a siege golem..
    I feel like I read somewhere that this game, like DAoC, allows the ability to repair damage as it is happening. Meaning if you have enough supply you can repair damage while it takes place. This could just be my imagination. Also if the keep had been upgraded that could make a difference. And the golem didn't last very long because from what I could see it was standing in boiling oil or molten metal or something that had been dropped from above the keep door.

Quote Originally Posted by tibben View Post
    I feel like I read somewhere that this game, like DAoC, allows the ability to repair damage as it is happening. Meaning if you have enough supply you can repair damage while it takes place. This could just be my imagination. Also if the keep had been upgraded that could make a difference. And the golem didn't last very long because from what I could see it was standing in boiling oil or molten metal or something that had been dropped from above the keep door.
    From the wiki,
    "The small resource objectives generate supply which is then caravaned to nearby keeps and towers. Supply may be used to bolster structural defenses, increase NPC power, or build siege weapons.[6] Upgades take time to take effect, so it is in the player's interest to actively defend their investment until it can take effect. Siege weapons require more supply than a single player can carry, however teammates can assist in the construction. In any case, constant pressure on an enemy's supply depots and caravans allows an effective siege against their ability to fortify."

I'm not sure about applying upgrades to, for example, a gate while it is being attacked. If I had to guess I'd say that structures/NPCs will go to the gate to apply the upgrade but you have to keep them alive during the process. I'm not familiar with DAoC to know of any similarities.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    And to think, in 45 minutes, that guy has basically been fighting in a very, VERY small area. Like an area maybe a fifth of the size of just ONE of those four maps, if even that much.

There was what, the mine, two small forts, and one of the keep gates? Running from place to place and just continually fighting various objectives all seemed to flow very well, too. I think the gates might be a little too tough to destroy though, given that it barely took damage while he was wailing on one with a siege golem..
    Yup, totally epic Now remember there's only like 100 people in there with this press beta, and we can hope to see 600ish per area come the beta events and the game
    That is simply going to be most amazing pvp ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Yup, totally epic Now remember there's only like 100 people in there with this press beta, and we can hope to see 600ish per area come the beta events and the game
    That is simply going to be most amazing pvp ever seen.
    This. The WvW is what has me most excited, it's what I was looking for in Warhammer. It seems like this is going to be Epic indeed, cannot wait. Have heard lots of people talking about the potential for lag, but I don't think that will be a problem. Hype-o-meter is maxed currently

10+ Year Old Account
    The better videos show hardly any lagg with a ton of AoE. I know the settings are on low, but so far this is looking very promising.

The only worry I have is how the front line roles will get enough healing to survive. I did not like seeing the warrior clips of them using a freaking bow uinstead of charging in for some face smashng.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    The better videos show hardly any lagg with a ton of AoE. I know the settings are on low, but so far this is looking very promising.

The only worry I have is how the front line roles will get enough healing to survive. I did not like seeing the warrior clips of them using a freaking bow uinstead of charging in for some face smashng.
    I think there is a warrior utility skill that grants immunity for 5 seconds, short duration but you could charge in then hit the immunity as you retreat in an attempt to distract/break a stalemate. Although it didn't list any restrictions while under its effects when I last checked the old skill tool set. I haven't seen large scale WvWvW videos yet to see how testers react when in a 30+ v 30+ situation on a warrior/thief/other class associated with being melee.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tithonus View Post
    I think there is a warrior utility skill that grants immunity for 5 seconds, short duration but you could charge in then hit the immunity as you retreat in an attempt to distract/break a stalemate. Although it didn't list any restrictions while under its effects when I last checked the old skill tool set. I haven't seen large scale WvWvW videos yet to see how testers react when in a 30+ v 30+ situation on a warrior/thief/other class associated with being melee.
    That is the stuff that I can't wait to see. Ranged play looks to be really solid, so question now is how melee will fit in with these battles. I am dying to see a warrior crushing fools with a hammer.
    I like sandwiches

I'd be willing to guess melee offers advantages of things like burst or being unavoidable while range offers the advantage of... range.

For the classes like warrior/thief anyway. Or else melee would be totally useless in PvP. And indeed, even PvE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just realized that the 3 server colors they used for WvW are also the 3 colors they used for the 3 realms in DAoC

---------- Post added 2012-02-20 at 11:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post

I agree, though i'll be playing a ranger I'll be using a 2h sword for my secondary weapon skills to get some melee action here and there. Then again, the big fight during the last part of that video took place in an area where your forced to have 2 zergs face off against each other until one side pushed them back to their own keep... I think in these situations range will have a bigger role than melee. You'll most likely see more melee if your actually fighting inside a keep where the area is more enclosed and closed range combat will have more of an effect.
    Last edited by Razeo; 2012-02-21 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    I'd be willing to guess melee offers advantages of things like burst or being unavoidable while range offers the advantage of... range.

For the classes like warrior/thief anyway. Or else melee would be totally useless in PvP. And indeed, even PvE.
    You have to realize that every "melee" class in GW2 has a viable ranged option too.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    You have to realize that every "melee" class in GW2 has a viable ranged option too.
    Yeah but being unable to play a melee class as a melee class due to it not being viable would really defeat the purpose of rolling... a melee class.

Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    I think people are going to have to get used to the idea that the professions can do a multiple of things equally well. Games seem to have conditioned players into thinking that everything has to be so specialized.

---------- Post added 2012-02-21 at 12:29 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by General_Typhus View Post
    Yeah but being unable to play a melee class as a melee class due to it not being viable would really defeat the purpose of rolling... a melee class.
    I suppose if you want to really limit yourself.

I'm making a warrior that will focus on ranged combat. I think it will be an interesting take (conversely, I'll be making a "melee" ranger).

Quote Originally Posted by General_Typhus View Post
    Kinda hard to lable any of the professions melee classes or ranged classes other than based off their traditional archtype roles. Basicly all melee can go ranged and last I checked basicly all the casters had weapon sets that were primarly suited to being right up in the face of a target. While some lean more one way or the other such as the elementalist has more ranged options than melee and the war has far more melee options than ranged GW2 seems to blurr the lines.

That said I figure ranged will probably dominate keep sieges till the gates are down and melee will be quite nasty if the fighting gets into hallways inside. why would the defenders opt to let melee get to them when they can rain AOE hell down on the attackers and back up to safety when they are low health

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I suppose if you want to really limit yourself.

I'm making a warrior that will focus on ranged combat. I think it will be an interesting take (conversely, I'll be making a "melee" ranger).
    Quite the opposite. It would be an egregious limitation if you were forced to give up one of your weapon sets to PvP effectively as a melee class. What if someone wants to play their melee character primarily as a melee character and take.. a hammer and sword/shield combo but couldnt because they had to reserve a slot for a ranged weapon?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    That said I figure ranged will probably dominate keep sieges till the gates are down and melee will be quite nasty if the fighting gets into hallways inside. why would the defenders opt to let melee get to them when they can rain AOE hell down on the attackers and back up to safety when they are low health
    Sorry that I have to keep referring back to DAoC. But things were mostly like this back then as well; one thing I'd like to mention though is that one of the main roles for melee during a keep siege would be to man the siege vehicles (in GW2's case: Trebuchets, catapults, scorpion launchers, golems etc etc..) and/or play support roles. Which then leads me to say that in that video, the person ccontrolling the character should've taken advantage of using a catapult because from what I understand they are most useful against clunched up groups like that. And your right, once the doors of the enemy's keep were down they caused chaos in the courtyard, catwalks and inside the keep itself
    Last edited by Razeo; 2012-02-21 at 08:13 AM.