Thread: Guild issue

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account

Guild issue

Hi everyone, first a little information.
    I am the GM of a lvl 25 Guild. I entered the guild as a noob (when there was like 20 members) and rose to a high level. I was friends with original GM and he asked me to keep an eye on the guild as he had some RL issues to deal with and would be gone for a long time. When he quit, so did most of the people in high positions. When 4.3 dropped and gave someone the chance to take over from an inactive GM, based upon the last guidance, I become the new GM.
    The guild has been around for a long time and we currently have about 100 members. We used to be a very active guild with raids, dungeons, etc... Over the past year, the member count has gone from almost 300 to our current numbers. Only about half of those players are actively playing (logging at least once a month). I am an officer in another guild which is much more active and therefore do not have much time to really work on building the guild back up. Which brings me to my issue...
    Last night I was approached by a former guild member and about 5-10 of his friends. In a nutshell, they want to bring their lvl 8 guild and merge with mine. They say that because the guild used to be such a large well known guild they want to help bring it back and recruit again, start some raids again, etc. BUT...Heres the sketchy part...they want to be the GM and have all access etc.... I DO NOT want to give up GM rights but I also want to improve the guild so I am thinking about bringing them onboard and limiting their power (POWAH!). I'd sure hate to be the guy that had control and lost it to a bunch of people that don't care. What I found really strange was that these guys just out of the blue "wanted" to do this ...seems odd to me.
    So I just wanted to get some opinions about it if anyone would care to offer any. Thanks for the help and advice in advance.

I guess my question is has the former GM indicated if he will be back or not? Were you planning on giving him GM if he did return?

Deleted
    Why dont u want to give up the GM position if your not doing anything as a GM to promote the guild on the server? If you enjoy ur officer place at another guild, let someone else who is interested to handle the guild where you are a gm.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy88 View Post
    I guess my question is has the former GM indicated if he will be back or not? Were you planning on giving him GM if he did return?
    It has been at least ayear since anyone has heard from the original GM. If he were to return, I would gla dly hand it over. It was his guild to begin with.

---------- Post added 2012-03-07 at 06:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by zontiq View Post
    Why dont u want to give up the GM position if your not doing anything as a GM to promote the guild on the server? If you enjoy ur officer place at another guild, let someone else who is interested to handle the guild where you are a gm.
    Its not that I don't care to promote the guild, its the strange way they went about asking. I mean, if I wanted to become a GM of a guild, I would either start my own and promote it, or I would join a guild and work to advance myself and actually earn the respect of the GM so when he/she was ready to quit, to be there for them. (which is what I did in this case) Like I said, it seemed odd to me for someone to say-- hi, I'm a friend of someone that used to be in your guild, please invite me and my friends and make me GM and my friends officers... sounds kinda sketchy on the first conversation doesn't it? (this is not a direct quote...but you get the point,right?)
    Last edited by Vastius; 2012-03-07 at 11:36 PM.