Page 1 of 27
... LastLast

Butosai's fix my retribution dps thread

Apparently some people think im not as sharing with my knowledge as I could be so I am making this thread to help out anyone who wants to squeeze out more dps for their parses. What I need from you is:

Armory

Encounter name

trinkets using currently for the encounter

trinkets available

LOGS
    I dont play in a hardcore no-lifer guild, but in a 2 days a week "hardcore" mythic guild.

It's funny i was actually going to send you a private message for some help today but realized that i hadn't made 10 post yet so i couldn't. (Almost there)
    When i get home i'll get everything you need thx for the help in advance!

You finally came around and decided to ask the forums to fix your DPS, sweet.

I hope I'm not out of line asking a few more generalized questions that I've actually not been able to find any answers to. I've recently switched my retribution offspec to my main spec, and gearing has been going okay. I'm using clcinfo currently, so I'm atleast in the ballpark of pressing the right buttons, but I'm noticing a lot of situations where I need to think on the fly (oh my), so I'll get better with time.

Now:

1) When is the right time to switch to Righteousness? Do you switch as soon as there's 2 targets close, or is there some magical number of mobs that need to be present before a switch is necessary? 4 to coincide with Divine Storm perhaps? Do you switch back to Truth when there's only 1 or 2 targets left, or is the gcd just a waste and ramp up time is too high?

2) When I've got 3 holy power, do I pop Zeal+Wings+Inq and then CS to get another 3 for my first TV, or do I want Inq already up before I hit Zeal+Wings so I can immediately TV without "wasting" 3 holy power on Inq? I'm having a little trouble figuring the best way to go about it. Also having trouble getting Zeal+Wings up when Hagara is stunned right after a phase transition. Friggin warrior demolishes me because I can't get my cds up in time.

That's it for now - if the good Butosai hasn't got time to answer, I hope someone else deems these questions worthy. Thanks for your attention!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Viridis View Post
    1) When is the right time to switch to Righteousness? Do you switch as soon as there's 2 targets close, or is there some magical number of mobs that need to be present before a switch is necessary? 4 to coincide with Divine Storm perhaps? Do you switch back to Truth when there's only 1 or 2 targets left, or is the gcd just a waste and ramp up time is too high?

2) When I've got 3 holy power, do I pop Zeal+Wings+Inq and then CS to get another 3 for my first TV, or do I want Inq already up before I hit Zeal+Wings so I can immediately TV without "wasting" 3 holy power on Inq? I'm having a little trouble figuring the best way to go about it. Also having trouble getting Zeal+Wings up when Hagara is stunned right after a phase transition. Friggin warrior demolishes me because I can't get my cds up in time.
    1) SoR to coincide with Divine Storm, yes. So 4 or more mobs. If there are 3 or less, use Seal of Truth and single target each one (you can focus-judge one while you attack another for a slight boost in dps (having two Truth dots).

2) Someone who raids will be a better source of info, but for me, I like to have Inq up before I do Wings+Zealotry+TV (macroed). I use Guardian of Ancient Kings at 3 HP with Inq, because it usually takes me ~10 seconds to get another 3, just the right time to use Wings and Zealotry (and potion).

Quote Originally Posted by Viridis View Post
    I hope I'm not out of line asking a few more generalized questions that I've actually not been able to find any answers to. I've recently switched my retribution offspec to my main spec, and gearing has been going okay. I'm using clcinfo currently, so I'm atleast in the ballpark of pressing the right buttons, but I'm noticing a lot of situations where I need to think on the fly (oh my), so I'll get better with time.

Now:

That's it for now - if the good Butosai hasn't got time to answer, I hope someone else deems these questions worthy. Thanks for your attention!
    For seal of righteousness you want to switch to it at 4 targets or more. If all the adds are quick aoe mobs leave righteousness on until they are dead then switch back to seal of truth to keep it at 5 stacks on your main target (boss). Seal of righteousness is actually more damage single target for (extremely) short durations.

Generally for cooldowns you want to make sure you have a good amount of time on inquisition before you pop your cooldowns so you dont waste a cooldowned gcd on it, while still not delaying your cooldowns at all to refresh inquisition. If you make a mistake and forget to set yourself up for your cooldowns its still a dps increase to delay your cooldowns for 3 holy power to refresh inquisition then get your cds in at the next 3 HP. You also want to make sure your not refreshing say a 17 second inquisition just to set up your cooldowns. It takes time to get use to it and its actually pretty tricky to pull off at first but it is possible, you just need to keep your cooldown timer in the back of your mind throughout the entire encounter. Also If you have say a dp proc, 3 holy power, need to refresh inquisition, and cds ready to pop; always refresh inquisition then pop cds. I often see people do it the other way around and it can really hinder your dps.

On hagara generally you will have cds only for 2 out of 3 phases since lightning phase is very short. I dont use any cds at the start of the fight to hold them for weakened phase unless I know its going to start frost, and even then its still cutting it close.
    I dont play in a hardcore no-lifer guild, but in a 2 days a week "hardcore" mythic guild.

Can you fix me Butosai? I can't get EoU Heroic to drop. HELP!

You can start by stop using AHK lazy

Hello,

I just want to know if i'm doing okay i'll show up log and armory and i only have the 2 trinkets i'm equiped so here we go:

1)Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...mindo/advanced
    2)Worldoflogs: http://worldoflogs.com/guilds/183426/
    3)Tell me if have something so i can improve.

Thank you.

1)Armory: us.battle.net/wow/en/character/illidan/Innocentz/simple

2)Worldoflogs: worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-y37d9zj3zrikpizu/sum/damageDone/?s=219&e=557

3) Have H BLF, H CotFD, H Apparatus

Quote Originally Posted by Durmindo View Post
    Hello,

I just want to know if i'm doing okay i'll show up log and armory and i only have the 2 trinkets i'm equiped so here we go:

1)Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...mindo/advanced
    2)Worldoflogs: http://worldoflogs.com/guilds/183426/
    3)Tell me if have something so i can improve.

Thank you.
    Its hard for me to read your logs, but one thing I noticed is your using blf and creche. blf is only good for a few fights, you want to get EoU asap and use it on all fights and swap between creche and blf on a fight by fight basis.

Morchock: creche
    yor: blf
    warlord: creche
    hagara: blf
    ultraxion: creche
    warlord: either
    spine: either, VP trinket if you get to heroic
    madness: blf

Your gearing and reforging seems okay. Your rotation as far as I can tell from your logs is OK. (looking at ultraxion here)
    get the eye of unmaking and your dps will go up a good chunk

---------- Post added 2012-02-17 at 01:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by CEVERaja View Post
    Hai, my dps is bad can you help plz
    Link me armory, logs, fight, and trinkets

Quote Originally Posted by Butosai View Post
    Its hard for me to read your logs, but one thing I noticed is your using blf and creche. blf is only good for a few fights, you want to get EoU asap and use it on all fights and swap between creche and blf on a fight by fight basis.

Morchock: creche
    yor: blf
    warlord: creche
    hagara: blf
    ultraxion: creche
    warlord: either
    spine: either, VP trinket if you get to heroic
    madness: blf

Your gearing and reforging seems okay. Your rotation as far as I can tell from your logs is OK. (looking at ultraxion here)
    get the eye of unmaking and your dps will go up a good chunk

---------- Post added 2012-02-17 at 01:28 AM ----------

Link me armory, logs, fight, and trinkets

Thank you, EoU just didn't droped yet and if drops i guess i'll won because of my priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadleeh View Post
    1)Armory: us.battle.net/wow/en/character/illidan/Innocentz/simple

2)Worldoflogs: worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-y37d9zj3zrikpizu/sum/damageDone/?s=219&e=557

3) Have H BLF, H CotFD, H Apparatus
    I saw u use H blf for this ultraxion kill, its a very lackluster trinket for ultaxion. use EoU and heroic creche. Your damage is actually pretty decent for your setup. One thing you can work on is DP usage. It had a 16% uptime you generally want to keep this around 11-12% ( meaning use it faster when it procs )

---------- Post added 2012-02-17 at 01:37 AM ----------

eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/auchindoun/Ceveraja/simple
    I think it's my reforging
    Besides dropping jewelcrafting cuz its dogshit without logs I cant really tell you how to improve and im not gonna go fishing for them. Im not goign to help you if your not going to help yourself. Your reforging is fine

It's aspecially on Madness, i need some kind of trick to get more spellweave...
    worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-dnqym9v8te1r5lz1/sum/damageDone/?s=11730&e=12603#Ceveraja
    Here compare your logs with mine. This was our longest attempt of last night, after attaining gear similar to yours. We wiped on the 4th platform about to transfer to the head to cataclysm because we were missing a few people. I estimated myself to finish around 93-94k. In order to get the most spellweave you need to know what procs it. Prioritize Divine storm > Holy Wrath > then your normal priority aoe rotation on bloods.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...=13059&e=13777

Id go over it for you but raid is about to start, and you seem to know what your doing, but everyone can always get better.

and heres our kill tonight where i did 91.5k

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...e=8976#Butosai
    Last edited by Butosai; 2012-02-17 at 04:45 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butosai View Post
    For seal of righteousness you want to switch to it at 4 targets or more. If all the adds are quick aoe mobs leave righteousness on until they are dead then switch back to seal of truth to keep it at 5 stacks on your main target (boss). Seal of righteousness is actually more damage single target for (extremely) short durations.

Generally for cooldowns you want to make sure you have a good amount of time on inquisition before you pop your cooldowns so you dont waste a cooldowned gcd on it, while still not delaying your cooldowns at all to refresh inquisition. If you make a mistake and forget to set yourself up for your cooldowns its still a dps increase to delay your cooldowns for 3 holy power to refresh inquisition then get your cds in at the next 3 HP. You also want to make sure your not refreshing say a 17 second inquisition just to set up your cooldowns. It takes time to get use to it and its actually pretty tricky to pull off at first but it is possible, you just need to keep your cooldown timer in the back of your mind throughout the entire encounter. Also If you have say a dp proc, 3 holy power, need to refresh inquisition, and cds ready to pop; always refresh inquisition then pop cds. I often see people do it the other way around and it can really hinder your dps.

On hagara generally you will have cds only for 2 out of 3 phases since lightning phase is very short. I dont use any cds at the start of the fight to hold them for weakened phase unless I know its going to start frost, and even then its still cutting it close.
    I'd just like to add something here, if I may. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    With Creche, provided it procs before I use inquisition, I use the 3 holy power to use AW + zealotry while using inquisition at the same time. While that makes me lose the initial HP to use a Templar's verdict, it allows me to have the biggest uptime of the proc during cds. Do you find that to be a dps increase, or would you still go with Inquisition - 3 hp - cds - TV if Crech procs just as you get the first 3 HP?

with creche u pop cds with ur first 3 holy power

Deleted
    Armory : http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...r/Dns/advanced
    dont mind the spec and glyphs, just using them for arena

Encounter : Utra, http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=1438&e=1765

trinkets available
    EoU + RS, not lucky enough to get creche / blf

Anything I can improve?
    thnx

Quote Originally Posted by Paow View Post
    Armory : http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...r/Dns/advanced
    dont mind the spec and glyphs, just using them for arena

Encounter : Utra, http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=1438&e=1765

trinkets available
    EoU + RS, not lucky enough to get creche / blf

Anything I can improve?
    thnx
    Refer to Kiskos trinket rating thread for trinkets, Im pretty confident varothrens brooch is above rotting skull, apparatus definately is. Anything you can get to replace rotting skull would increase your dps by alot. In its current state its a fairly accurate list.

inquisition uptime of 100% im assuming is just an ultraxion log bug, if its not make sure your not refreshing it before 3-4 seconds left on it.

Looking at your armory im confident to say your limited on your gearing options atm, but eventually you want your offpeice to be spine shoulders.

reforging is spot on and actually 42.6 is pretty impressive in your gear. Keep it up

Butosai, why is the picture of the Draenei in your sig so creepy looking? Also, this has bugged me for months now, your guild says you raid
    (Sunday through Thursday, starting at 5:00pm and stopping when we call it, usually 9:30-10:00 PST).
    When do you guys eat? Even if all 25+bench of you prefer an early dinner, when do you cook it?
    Divine, Unmarred and Electrified
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Demaio/simple
    Retired(ish)

What's the secret for madness? I've only done it on normal and I can barely handle 40-50k sometimes even on the mid 30s. But I see some of the top guild rets and other toons doing upwards of 100k, how, is it that the adds like longer and you can use more spellweave? http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...faemn/advanced those are the only trinkets I have.. and normal VoA from rag.

edit: ignore the cheap chants and stuff, my ret had been inactive for all of DS and most of FL cause I was playing my warrior, but my raid needed my paladin to off heal some fights so until I get some decent pieces I was planning on being cheap on the enchants and stuff.
    Last edited by Faemn; 2012-02-17 at 05:33 AM.