MoP Talents and Health Costs

Ok, in the new talents thread alot of people were complaining about the health cost of many of our new abilities. I see people comparing us to Blood mages and such. Some people saying I don't wanna be a blood mage... I'm shocked! I mean, what kind of lock are you to say that!? Locks were the original blood mage!

Back in the day my Health pool was just an extension of my mana pool literally, until achievements came out I had never even eaten (There was one for food right?)! Then all these changes late into WoTLK started changing our class paradigm. We started shifting back off of Survivability and draining everythign in sight into our health pool to... something more like a mage priest hybrid, without the heals, and without the sheer damage... for some reason... I don't know who's idea it was, but it was a very bad idea.

MoP is trying to bring some of our guff back. I am looking forward to finally FEELING like a lock again, a feeling that I lost so long ago, the reason I don't play anymore... And I personally think all these health costing effects are GREAT! But we shouldn't have to depend on a shitty life drain spell to get our health back... For some moronic reason it's capped at 2% of our max hp returned per tick instead of based off some percentage of damage done.

Ironically, the mana cost is so far out of line that by the time you drain 20% of your health back you need to Life tap 20% of your health away to replace the mana... which just makes for a pointless mechanic we have to deal with for no yield whatsoever but the sub par damage from life drain... Where we used to just gain a good deal of life back off of like 4 different spells all at once, back then it was fun and felt good.

Summary: Spells costing obscene amounts of life are NOT bad, they are very very lock. Us not having any way to recoup the massive amount of damage we will be inflicting to ourselves, THAT is what is not lock and what is currently wrong.

PS: Change Soulstone back to how it used to be, noone uses the pre effect in a raid when they can have a 1.5 cast to rez the guy they need up who died, having the precursor effect is idiotic, wait scratch the, having a battle rez on a lock is idiotic...same for DK's
    Last edited by Humungo; 2012-02-16 at 08:49 PM.

And forcing a group to take a druid, and a non-tank at at that for a battleres ?
    No, that is idiotic.

"Forcing" is one of many choices you have to make when building a group/raid in a class based game, it IS idiotic to give 5 supposedly different and unique classes the exact same ability (with a different name lol). When that druid slot could be filled with something else that gives an equally desirable effect. Same with curse of elements and the 8% effect it now gives, 3 or 4 other classes do the same thing.

The thing I feel your complaining about is certain classes being left out for others in a CLASS based game. . . What makes a game like this fun is that you HAVE different choices to make when forming groups and raids because of the different CLASSES! Lately, they have been slowly removing those choices. Though MoP looks like they are bringing a great deal of new effects into the mix.
    Last edited by Humungo; 2012-02-16 at 10:04 PM.

I wonder how important a stat stam will be for us. With all these new ways to kill ourselves (not complaining mind you) will locks be packing stam trinkets to survive our damage cd's? If a stam trink could allow us to keep burning embers up longer would it be of greater value then say a crit trink?

Quote Originally Posted by Grizelda View Post
    I wonder how important a stat stam will be for us. With all these new ways to kill ourselves (not complaining mind you) will locks be packing stam trinkets to survive our damage cd's? If a stam trink could allow us to keep burning embers up longer would it be of greater value then say a crit trink?
    Our self-damaging mechanics will have gotten way out of hand if that winds up being the case.

So far it looks % based so Stam probably wont help much. But nothing's set in stone yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    Our self-damaging mechanics will have gotten way out of hand if that winds up being the case.
    Aye, but I think the solution is more life stealing (or the old style fel armor that just made us regen fast) like old locks used to, not removing the Self dmg.
    Last edited by Humungo; 2012-02-16 at 10:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think they have beefed up our defenses fine to for us to be able to spend health on abilities. We have 10% more stam, 1 tier of talents is all about self healing, mortal coil if you really want it, the friggen shield wall cool down and destro has Ember Tap.

If they make sure that we have to life tap less then we do today (really only applies to affliction) we will be fine. Our single targets rotations were neutered to the point a blind mouse could walk across our keyboards and still do damage. Hopefully by having other mechanics for us to worry about we won't get bored playing a warlock.