Poll: Are morals objective or relative?

Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Do you think morals are objective, or do you think morals are relative?

Basically, do you think there is an objective truth to be found in the concepts of right or wrong?

Personally, I feel that there may not be absolute truth regarding morals, just as there isn't absolute truth regarding beauty. But for the sake of society, I think there should be objective morals. I feel that things people do (like murder, rape, steal) which have a negative impact on other peoples' lives, are immoral. Things that severely inhibit personal freedom are immoral. Yes, I think morals are completely objective. They have to be to have a productive society.
    Last edited by dwarven; 2012-02-16 at 11:38 PM.

Relative how? For something to be relative it would have a dependency on something else. Such as "it's morally objectionable to murder someone, unless you're a sociopath"...an obviously absurd statement but that's sort of the idea by saying morals are relative. Or are they relative to the nature or conditions of the person and their experiences? Where stealing in an affluent society would be seen as being morally offensive, but in perhaps a "have-nots" society it's seen as survival and therefore immune to moral referendum to some.

I don't think the word "objective" is necessarily accurate as that would imply that morals are chiefly individual. But I would say that the "10 commandments" series of morals are quite universal and given to you when you are younger...usually. But that's not really an individual choice as those morals are presented to you, and those morals were presented to your parents/peers by their parents/peers.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2012-02-16 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Relative how? For something to be relative it would have a dependency on something else. Such as "it's morally objectionable to murder someone, unless you're a sociopath"...an obviously absurd statement but that's sort of the idea by saying morals are relative. Or are they relative to the nature or conditions of the person and their experiences? Where stealing in an affluent society would be seen as being morally offensive, but in perhaps a "have-nots" society it's seen as survival and therefore immune to moral referendum.

I don't think the word "objective" is necessarily accurate as that would imply that morals are chiefly individual.
    That's kind of getting into semantics, which is why philosophy annoys me so much. Half of it is trying to define language. But, being a moral relativist just means you should tolerate every culture's morals because there is no absolute truth in morality. So, you'd have to accept cultures which aren't accepting themselves.

This opens too much room for debate, as in, it really depends on what we're talking about...

So i'll have to vote ''objective''.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    This opens too much room for debate, as in, it really depends on what we're talking about...

So i'll have to vote ''objective''.
    I almost refined the discussion to things like murdering, raping and stealing, but I wanted people to think about it and figure it out for themselves. There are some cultures where murdering is legal, such as executing adulterers and homosexuals.

I think they are relative, objective is really the "This is what happened", the relative/subjective comes in when people begin to interpret it, which morals are an interpretation, and so are subjective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

Moral are instilled in you by parents and environment, ethics are taught. So if society says its wrong, then morally and ethically it is wrong.

Morals are what guide you, ethics are what you follow.

It would be more subjective than objective.
    Last edited by Capt Froggy; 2012-02-17 at 12:30 AM.

Someone brought this up in another post. Someone posted this video. It's long, but it answers the question, I believe.

But it really does depend on how you define "morality".

15+ Year Old Account
    There is no natural evidence of right and wrong. Morality is a human construct and thus very much objective.

You can say that "morality" refers to what is best for human society as a whole. In that case, there are objective "right" and "wrong" answers to moral questions.

People's have OPINIONS on what is moral/immoral... but ultimately you can objectively determine "right" and "wrong" based on whether it's beneficial to human society.

Imagine society's a box we made around ourselves. It's a fake box obviously, and it's certainly not a natural box, but it's a box that exists and a box whose boundaries we respect. Morals are the supports holding that box up. Does that answer the question?

Not a native English speaker, can you define the difference between objective and relative?

In my opinion morals are instilled in culture.
    For example downloading software... moral? immoral? I think it depends on many factors, and can't be decided in itself by a simple act of downloading copyrighted software.

Rape I think should be immoral in all cultures, however it isn't in some cultures.

There's 2 definitions of "morals":

1) People's culturally-defined opinions on what is right and wrong.
    2) What is best for human society.

If you use #1, then it depends on the person, the country, the culture, etc. It's relative.
    If you use #2, then there are objective correct and incorrect answers.

People know right or wrong, it's a matter of if they are or not.

I do NOT believe there is any objective moral truth. HOWEVER, I do think certain behaviors are more or less efficient than others for survival (like not indiscriminately killing members of your species), and that over time, those with a natural tendency to follow those behaviors will thrive over those who do not. One way our species embeds these efficient behaviors is through developing social norms and belief systems that include "good" behaviors.

So in a sense, there is a mathematical reason for moral behavior: Efficiency. But other than that, I do not believe there is an objective basis for morality.

I was gonna give a good example, but i needed to use the Kuran and Islam as example, and that would probably get me banned because you know.... you ''can't go there'' here.

15+ Year Old Account
    I was gonna give a good example, but i needed to use the Kuran and Islam as example, and that would probably get me banned because you know.... you ''can't go there'' here.
    It's good to see user's learning and following the rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    It's good to see user's learning and following the rules!
    I don't think it would break the rules to say the truth, but since people tend to be so fragile about everything, I'd rather just step back and not give you the hassle of having to Infract me/edit my post.

Well... lol

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather just step back and not give you the hassle of having to Infract me/edit my post.
    It's no trouble!

Anyways back on topic I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    It's no trouble!

Anyways back on topic I guess.
    I know who is my hater, now.

ANYWAYS BACK ON TOPIC - OP, i'll look for a link on this exact same subject for you, it has a nice explanation about it, i'll edit this post once i find it.