Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #41
    Personally in most games i love supporting my team mates, and with my guardian i feel like ill be able to dish out some damage and support at the same time which i love. Will probably roll human, because for some reason im just drawn to the humans of GW2, with their renaissance culture they dont seem to be the "boring" humans of most mmos, though sylvari is also in the mix. As for equipment ill be using a shield and sword more than likely, or some weapon and a shield. The guardians 2 handed skills look amazing too though so might have to give that a try.....decisions decisions.....

  2. #42
    Bloodsail Admiral Cuchulainn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    On the Exodar, lecturing Neophytes.
    Posts
    1,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathwarder View Post
    Greatsword and mace shield? I take it the hard line dps and mobility/defelection is what your after with some healing and mitigation to boot; yeah I thought that was the way i go originally but there's a strong pull in me to hold onto that good ol' board and sword- and the the focus doesn't ( in lieu of the shield doesn't seem far from that.
    This is my Guardian build. (BTW, it's a PvP build)
    http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/...itch=2f360c133

    I'm going for a 50/50 damage and healing/control. I want to be the main utility on the battlefield that my allies come to when they need time to recooperate, but also the person people yell "kill this guy!" to.

    I'll finally be able to play out my fantasy of the Paladin from WarCraft III. Something Blizzard failed to deliver with the Paladin in WoW.
    Last edited by Cuchulainn; 2012-02-18 at 03:03 AM.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    One of my many problems with Logan is he is supposed to be a Guardian. Guardians are supposed to be master tacticians and strategists. When did Logan plan ANYTHING? The most he planned was hit a guys knee instead of his face. Brilliant.
    Well, he did plan how to defeat the fiery harpy in the areana...and the charr in ebonhawk. Oh and the landslide..
    But yeah...I'm totally just nitpicking It was Snaff and Eir who did almost all the planning. Whatever Logan planned, it certainly wasn't geared around "how can I protect my friends," more "how can I hit something in the face more effectively." He def acts more like a warrior.
    I'm going to cry like a little baby when Logan and Rytlock reconcile and have a glorious man-hug

  4. #44
    The Lightbringer Glytch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SA, TX
    Posts
    3,109
    on topic im looking at something like this for a lot of support with the sword/focus in there for mobile damage

    http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/...switch=2f339b4
    The Original Ganksta

    Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

  5. #45
    Am I missing something or do guardians not really have a single target damage weapon? I see sword as control/mobility and maces are aoe, but I see none that say "use this to make things die fast". :P

  6. #46
    Scarab Lord Wrathonia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Port Charlotte
    Posts
    4,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Am I missing something or do guardians not really have a single target damage weapon? I see sword as control/mobility and maces are aoe, but I see none that say "use this to make things die fast". :P
    No profession has such a weapon and none should. It's about choice. Do you want to feel forced to use a specific weapon because it is just plain better? Don't ask for something like this.

  7. #47
    Herald of the Titans zcks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The ass end of nowhere AKA Kansas.
    Posts
    2,656
    Really depends on what they do for the final version of talents.

    They are currently reworking allot of them & still haven't even released the talent lists for 2 handed hammers or 2 handed swords. When they do I will make my choice.

    Ideally though I would change it depending on what I'm doing.

    For PvE I would likely go with a 2 handed sword or hammer for weapon set 1, for weapon set 2 I would probably go with a mace + shield combo.
    For PvP I'm likely to go with a 1handed sword + focus combo then either a 2 handed sword or 2 handed hammer.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

  8. #48
    EDIT:

    Mental note to self - take abit more time to read posts before asking facepalm-able questions.

    (I asked a question about something that has already been posted :P )
    Last edited by Triage; 2012-02-18 at 05:16 PM. Reason: HERP-TO-THE-DERP

  9. #49
    The Patient Klazmaunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Alabama, USA
    Posts
    340
    Well I originlly wasn't going to play a Guardian. I hate my sights set on a ranger since it's what I always play, but I'm pretty sure the Guardian has won me over.

    Name: Klaz - Male Asura Guardian

    I plan to be a Greatsword/Sword&shield/Staff Guardian with a lot of offensive play and support play. It will be an extremely PvE oriented character, going to save PvP for my Range and Thief!
    "It's not enough to live, you have to have something worth living for."

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    No profession has such a weapon and none should. It's about choice. Do you want to feel forced to use a specific weapon because it is just plain better? Don't ask for something like this.
    Pretty sure warriors use axes specifically for mega burst damage.

  11. #51
    Scarab Lord Wrathonia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Port Charlotte
    Posts
    4,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Pretty sure warriors use axes specifically for mega burst damage.
    Do you have any proof other than a feeling or opinion? As far as I know there are no damage numbers for specific skills yet, nor are traits finalized. I looked up the dual axe load out and each ability is focused on damage, but where does it say that they do more damage than any other weapon? Also going dual axe is severely limiting in utility skills and defense. Nothing but attack with axe or spin with axe. Looks pretty boring really. I am sure it will be good for aoe since 2 skills focus on that with relatively short cooldowns, but I have seen no evidence they will do more single target damage than any other weapon choice.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    Do you have any proof other than a feeling or opinion? As far as I know there are no damage numbers for specific skills yet, nor are traits finalized. I looked up the dual axe load out and each ability is focused on damage, but where does it say that they do more damage than any other weapon? Also going dual axe is severely limiting in utility skills and defense. Nothing but attack with axe or spin with axe. Looks pretty boring really. I am sure it will be good for aoe since 2 skills focus on that with relatively short cooldowns, but I have seen no evidence they will do more single target damage than any other weapon choice.
    Well, judging on the amount of damage skills and the adrenaline skill I think we'll see Axe warriors do a lot of damage. And If the damage of (DW) axe is fairly low or on par with other weapons, but as you said with limited defense and utility, then what's the point of axes? The lack of utility will probably be compensated with slightly more damage, but that's nothing more than a gut feeling of course. And a little more off-topic, but axes don't need to be boring. I plan on using a hammer with axes in an offensive build for a quick weapon swap (during a knockdown or stun), unleash all the burst, and then swap back to hammer again.

    This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

  13. #53
    Scarab Lord Wrathonia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Port Charlotte
    Posts
    4,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider View Post
    Well, judging on the amount of damage skills and the adrenaline skill I think we'll see Axe warriors do a lot of damage. And If the damage of (DW) axe is fairly low or on par with other weapons, but as you said with limited defense and utility, then what's the point of axes? The lack of utility will probably be compensated with slightly more damage, but that's nothing more than a gut feeling of course. And a little more off-topic, but axes don't need to be boring. I plan on using a hammer with axes in an offensive build for a quick weapon swap (during a knockdown or stun), unleash all the burst, and then swap back to hammer again.
    The problem comes with balance. If you have enough utility or defense in your 6-10 slots, why go for a weapon with less damage? Otherwise it will turn into almost any other games where the theorycrafters will say that a certain weapon set does more damage and that you are doing it wrong by using a different weapon. I don't think anyone wants to be pigeon holed like that.

    As for warriors in general, since they have no magic I find their combat to be thematically and visually bland. They hit people, that is about it. And really, how many different ways can you hit someone? Just looking at warrior skill descriptions, most of them amount to "You use X weapon and hit enemy." I am sure some people are for that, but it just seems so damn boring.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    The problem comes with balance. If you have enough utility or defense in your 6-10 slots, why go for a weapon with less damage? Otherwise it will turn into almost any other games where the theorycrafters will say that a certain weapon set does more damage and that you are doing it wrong by using a different weapon. I don't think anyone wants to be pigeon holed like that.

    As for warriors in general, since they have no magic I find their combat to be thematically and visually bland. They hit people, that is about it. And really, how many different ways can you hit someone? Just looking at warrior skill descriptions, most of them amount to "You use X weapon and hit enemy." I am sure some people are for that, but it just seems so damn boring.
    Different weapons for different situations. If the situation requires a lot of movement and mobility then you might want to use sword/warhorn for quickly leaping and running around, but if the situation asks for less movement then you might want to equip (DW) axes for more (AoE) damage. I think that's the idea of different weapons with different sets of skills. Adapting to the situation or chaining skills. I'm sure all the weapon sets are balanced though.
    And it's just your opinion if you think warriors (or no magic users) are boring. I personally prefer to move a lot while hitting stuff over standing still and casting stuff. Its all just preferences.

    This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

  15. #55
    Scarab Lord Wrathonia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Port Charlotte
    Posts
    4,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider View Post
    Different weapons for different situations. If the situation requires a lot of movement and mobility then you might want to use sword/warhorn for quickly leaping and running around, but if the situation asks for less movement then you might want to equip (DW) axes for more (AoE) damage. I think that's the idea of different weapons with different sets of skills. Adapting to the situation or chaining skills. I'm sure all the weapon sets are balanced though.
    And it's just your opinion if you think warriors (or no magic users) are boring. I personally prefer to move a lot while hitting stuff over standing still and casting stuff. Its all just preferences.
    Considering all professions in GW2 can cast and move with most spells I don't see the point in your last statement.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    Considering all professions in GW2 can cast and move with most spells I don't see the point in your last statement.
    True, I mean I like being in my opponents face and hit him/her with whatever I have in my hands. But I really don't see a point in this discussion. You prefer casters, I prefer melees, its rather common for people to like different things. I'm not solely playing melee though, I will play everything and atm I'm pretty excited about making a necromancer. Last post though, as this all is really off-topic.

    This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

  17. #57
    Scarab Lord Wrathonia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Port Charlotte
    Posts
    4,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider View Post
    True, I mean I like being in my opponents face and hit him/her with whatever I have in my hands. But I really don't see a point in this discussion. You prefer casters, I prefer melees, its rather common for people to like different things. I'm not solely playing melee though, I will play everything and atm I'm pretty excited about making a necromancer. Last post though, as this all is really off-topic.
    I actually prefer magic melee. I like hitting people, but I want it to be visually appealing as well. Just hitting them is boring. Hitting them and setting them on fire is much more enjoyable to me. That is why I am going for the guardian. The most a guardian can be as a caster is by using scepter/focus and staff. Both which having very boring visual effects. I don't really care how useful they are if I don't enjoy what combat looks like. Running around in plate armor with a staff just seems silly to me.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    I actually prefer magic melee. I like hitting people, but I want it to be visually appealing as well. Just hitting them is boring. Hitting them and setting them on fire is much more enjoyable to me. That is why I am going for the guardian. The most a guardian can be as a caster is by using scepter/focus and staff. Both which having very boring visual effects. I don't really care how useful they are if I don't enjoy what combat looks like. Running around in plate armor with a staff just seems silly to me.
    Melee can be very visually appealing if done right, look at videos of SW:TOR Sentinels on youtube (well-played ones). I haven't seen a GW2 Warrior in combat, but I don't think they will disappoint. There are a -lot- of different ways to hit someone.

  19. #59
    Scarab Lord Wrathonia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Port Charlotte
    Posts
    4,476
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Melee can be very visually appealing if done right, look at videos of SW:TOR Sentinels on youtube (well-played ones). I haven't seen a GW2 Warrior in combat, but I don't think they will disappoint. There are a -lot- of different ways to hit someone.
    I have watched many videos of GW2 warriors and guardians and can say without a doubt warriors lack the 'wow' factor in combat to me when you compare the two. Between the guardians symbols they put on the ground and the fire they toss about in various ways, they are VERY visually appealing to me. Warriors just lack any real visual flair.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Melee can be very visually appealing if done right, look at videos of SW:TOR Sentinels on youtube (well-played ones). I haven't seen a GW2 Warrior in combat, but I don't think they will disappoint. There are a -lot- of different ways to hit someone.
    Well, if you're interested in a GW2 Warrior combat video I could recommend:



    4:45 for combat. He first shortly tries out all weapons, so give it some time.

    This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •