Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    Well, other than Dougal being a Thief, he has more of a reason to drink. I'm sorry, but in the book Logan is very much a big kid that really thinks about himself and his love interest more than anything else. He is shallow, dull witted and not prone to strategy. Just "Hulk SMASH!" moments. I am actually pretty offended that he is considered a Guardian when in the book he fights way more like a warrior. Hell, every picture I see of him he usually has a sword and sometimes a shield. In the book all he did was smash things with his hammer. His brother hated him to some degree because of his lack of sophistication in his fighting style.

If anyone is bitter about Mr. Thackery, it is me. I hate him.
    that's because until the end of the book he didnt have said sword in question

im not too offended by logans actions anyway, every (playable) race except the sylvari are complete dicks to humans. the asura treat us as disposable idiots and thier ego makes them blind to how flawed they truely are. the charr have animosity against us for obvious reasons but 250 years of fighting plus the destruction of 2 human nations due to their actions is really going to make it difficult for me to like those fleabags. the norn still look down on us but at least of the races they are willing to give you a shot. its too bad they cant see past our small(er) stature until you beat them to within an inch of their life. so really i can see why he did what he did. even without her as a love interest Kryta is all the humans have left for all intents are purposes. so going to serve the queen is pretty much an act of self preservation for the species as a whole

EDIT: also to top it all off our gods have all but forsaken us so while most humans keep some sliver of hope in their hearts its really hard not to put the needs of your species above the needs of others when it really feels like the whole world is against you
    Last edited by Glytch; 2012-02-17 at 09:41 AM.
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/...switch=33ec205

offensive guardian, what you think?
    Last edited by Lefuu; 2012-02-17 at 11:03 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefuu View Post

Loving it.

http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/...switch=2f360c4

I'm going with this.

http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/...switch=2f276c5

The elite skill I will use isn't in the tool yet, so I left it open.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefuu View Post

Yeah man I like this build alot.. I can really see this being a good weap. choice for fast quest play or when i just want to melt face in pvp

---------- Post added 2012-02-17 at 01:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/...switch=2f276c5

The elite skill I will use isn't in the tool yet, so I left it open.
    So whats you take on the staff ? ..I take it you have some exp. since you have some insight to the tool's lacking skills. Do you see it as a situational tool to be switched i.e. caught out of melee range or will you actually play it as a prim. weapon choice?

Curious as to others going with the staff too..I just seems to be more trouble than its worth maybe you guys know something i dont.
    Only death my pay for life

Deleted
    I'm using the staff primarily for the 3 4 5 abilities to help control my area and support my allies but being able to have the ranged attack to me is a bonus of what I wanted as Mace/shield will be my primary.

15+ Year Old Account
    I was originally thinking I would go hammer and mace or sword with the torch, but the torch abilities currently have too long of a cooldown to be enjoyable to me. If they change the recharge times I might stick with the torch. Otherwise I will just go with the greatsword. I just don't like off hand items right now because they lack much they can do with often long recharge times. They just seem like dead weight.

Now going hammer and greatsword is not only aesthetically and thematically more in line with my desires, but they also serve complimentary roles. The hammer being more defensive with the knockback and circle of warding, and the greatsword is more offensive with the mobility of the leap and symbol of swiftness. I think having both will balance them out but still be fun for me.

Guardians are going to be a must need in every PvP comp.

Trust me.

( I'm still trying to think either this or a Warrior, but I'll probably end up with this)
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Guardians are going to be a must need in every PvP comp.

Trust me.

( I'm still trying to think either this or a Warrior, but I'll probably end up with this)
    I really hope this doesn't happen...but the more I read here the more it seems a lot of people are viewing the Guardian as *the* support tank class.

10+ Year Old Account
    I typed a long reply explaining my choices, but then I did something stupid, and I don't want to retype everything.

Solo PvE: Aggressive Mobility

Group PvE: Defensive Support

PvP: Flexible Control/Support

I also see Hammer 2-handed Sword as being an incredibly fun build.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    Well, other than Dougal being a Thief, he has more of a reason to drink. I'm sorry, but in the book Logan is very much a big kid that really thinks about himself and his love interest more than anything else. He is shallow, dull witted and not prone to strategy. Just "Hulk SMASH!" moments. I am actually pretty offended that he is considered a Guardian when in the book he fights way more like a warrior. Hell, every picture I see of him he usually has a sword and sometimes a shield. In the book all he did was smash things with his hammer. His brother hated him to some degree because of his lack of sophistication in his fighting style.

If anyone is bitter about Mr. Thackery, it is me. I hate him.
    I like his character for one. I'm glad they made him more about smashing than sipping tea while wearing heavy armor. Clerics in D&D are more prone to smash sh*t up when needed, and heal or use spells when needed. He also is a mirror of Rytlock, only human.

Back on topic, I'm still in limbo between Guardian and Ranger. Since there's no Druid class/profession, Guardian was the next best step. I also love Clerics in the old D&D 2E (Wemic Cleric ftw) so I love to smash stuff up and heal as needed. So if I do roll one, I'll probably use a 2h mace or sword first; and then maybe a 1h combo with a torch as the second set.

I'm still mulling over all the lovely classes, but these two stick out the most to me.

Hounds of Balthazar sounds amazingly fun. And teleporting to people with heavy armor? Damn.

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggerty View Post
    I really hope this doesn't happen...but the more I read here the more it seems a lot of people are viewing the Guardian as *the* support tank class.
    It's hard to judge because the majority of us haven't even had a chance to touch the game, let alone compare and contrast usefulness in PvP or PvE.

Not to mention revisions to the this and other classes that most definitely have occurred since the last alpha demo.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    It's hard to judge because the majority of us haven't even had a chance to touch the game, let alone compare and contrast usefulness in PvP or PvE.

Not to mention revisions to the this and other classes that most definitely have occurred since the last alpha demo.
    Well judging from past experience alone, with other games (and no this is not limited to WoW), a class like a Guardian, unless they royally fuck it up balance-wise, will not be side-stepped when it comes to good comps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Well judging from past experience alone, with other games (and no this is not limited to WoW), a class like a Guardian, unless they royally fuck it up balance-wise, will not be side-stepped when it comes to good comps.
    I think the "no trinity" design trumps such reasoning.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, unless they royally fuck up the profession balance, no profession should be "required" for an "ideal" group set-up. We're all hoping that if you end up missing out on what the Guardian brings to your group comp, it'll be made up for by strength in another area. Uh oh, no ability to create a barrier against ballistic attacks, oh, but that's okay because we have the ability to teleport around. Or something. How well it works in practice we'll have to wait and see, but since this is one of the main design points in GW2 and they're building content around this idea, there's good reason to assume it'll work out okay.

I for one will be one of the asura guardians running around the battlefield.

looking at the set-up i really like the support and control that this class brings so i will focus on that and go Hammer and Mace/Shield

The damage will actually be pretty solid with both of these set-ups and will let me control the fight a bit more while my buds bring in the burst and heavy sustained damage, REALLY looking forward to this class.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    I like his character for one. I'm glad they made him more about smashing than sipping tea while wearing heavy armor. Clerics in D&D are more prone to smash sh*t up when needed, and heal or use spells when needed. He also is a mirror of Rytlock, only human.

Back on topic, I'm still in limbo between Guardian and Ranger. Since there's no Druid class/profession, Guardian was the next best step. I also love Clerics in the old D&D 2E (Wemic Cleric ftw) so I love to smash stuff up and heal as needed. So if I do roll one, I'll probably use a 2h mace or sword first; and then maybe a 1h combo with a torch as the second set.

I'm still mulling over all the lovely classes, but these two stick out the most to me.
    One of my many problems with Logan is he is supposed to be a Guardian. Guardians are supposed to be master tacticians and strategists. When did Logan plan ANYTHING? The most he planned was hit a guys knee instead of his face. Brilliant.

10+ Year Old Account
    where ever you are when you've just had a long fight against another player, to screw up your day
    for pvp, im going sword+ torch and mace+shield, so i can have mobility and damage with sword and torch and stack that burning effect fast, then go mega defensive with mace and shield, for like a whole, get allies to huddle up put a shield up whack a rune on the floor and use my self heal :P, for PvE i think im going scepter+shield and hammer just because i think it looks cool when they belt those orbs out and because the paladin in me wants a hammer

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Freehoof View Post
    How well it works in practice we'll have to wait and see, but since this is one of the main design points in GW2 and they're building content around this idea, there's good reason to assume it'll work out okay.
    I think the game will be fine and balanced etc - it's the attitude of some players I fear. As demonstrated in this forum, no matter how many times you explain "there is no trinity, there are no set roles, it's just a matter of style", you still have people...well...not getting it.

After launch I'll be counting the days 'til I hear "party of 4 looking for guardian". I hope I'm just being nervous and it doesn't work out like that...that folk will relax and really embrace things...but...that's just too big of a step for me to take right now...it seems some folk enjoy limitations and rules and boxes.