Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Sythari View Post
    Never really followed guild wars and as my guild is starting to get WoW DW bosses on farm and such and with nothing to do during outside of raid times i'm extremely bored and considering pre-ordering this, upon asking a guildy i got told it's a pvp based game that is balanced and their is a lot of grinding etc, i'm not that great researching but i'm about to watch some videos on it so what sort of game would you expect from guild wars 2? Thanks
    There is only as much grinding as you want it to be in this game, pretty much the charm of the game. You dont need to level if you don't want to, you can instantly make a pvp char and just take part in competitive pvp if that's what you prefer. Or, if you are a lore nerd that want to explore there's a big world and enough lvls to do that. And if you want to take part in large wars you can do that and gain levels, and leaving out the pve part as well. You can craft and farm and have a busy economy at AH if that's your kind of play. Or you can hang around in the cities and take part in minigames. Or you can do it all =) It's all a matter of choice really, and that's probably what's amazing with this game: there's something for everyone to enjoy the way they want to.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    There is only as much grinding as you want it to be in this game, pretty much the charm of the game. You dont need to level if you don't want to, you can instantly make a pvp char and just take part in competitive pvp if that's what you prefer. Or, if you are a lore nerd that want to explore there's a big world and enough lvls to do that. And if you want to take part in large wars you can do that and gain levels, and leaving out the pve part as well. You can craft and farm and have a busy economy at AH if that's your kind of play. Or you can hang around in the cities and take part in minigames. Or you can do it all =) It's all a matter of choice really, and that's probably what's amazing with this game: there's something for everyone to enjoy the way they want to.
    The character you make is your character for everything, there's no separate characters for say PvE and PvP.

  3. #23
    Old God Arrowstormen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    10,540
    MMORPG in all it's senses.
    Being critical is a burden which some people loves to bear.

  4. #24
    The Patient Silza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    337
    @Marn: Yeah, cause everything in GW2 is absolutely new to the genre and nothing has ever been seen in another MMO before.^^

  5. #25
    Mechagnome Mkalafut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    683
    Quote Originally Posted by Sythari View Post
    Never really followed guild wars and as my guild is starting to get WoW DW bosses on farm and such and with nothing to do during outside of raid times i'm extremely bored and considering pre-ordering this, upon asking a guildy i got told it's a pvp based game that is balanced and their is a lot of grinding etc, i'm not that great researching but i'm about to watch some videos on it so what sort of game would you expect from guild wars 2? Thanks
    It's not a PvP based game.. I love when people don't care to read anything about GW2 and do nothing but spout misinformation. To answer your question, GW2 is a sequel to the popular MMO Guild Wars in which you pick a character race and profession and participate in large scale Dynamic Events (The alternative to quests), Dungeons (5 player only - there will be no raids), and large and small scale balanced PvP. There are tons of topics, threads, videos, and information scattered across the internet and these forums.

    People need to use the search function and read up on the posts created by those who do their research. There is no grinding, exp or otherwise, and it is NOT a PvP based game. Please, people, use the search function and read (hard concept to grasp on a forum, I know) the stickied posts. There's a reason they have been stickied.

  6. #26
    High Overlord Marn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by Silza View Post
    @Marn: Yeah, cause everything in GW2 is absolutely new to the genre and nothing has ever been seen in another MMO before.^^
    I just feel like this game is gonna revolutionize the market. I mean conceptually yeah I can see your point that in a fantasy MMO setting there's bound to be some overlap here and there. I just wouldn't put it past a company that times patches and major expansion release dates expressly for the purpose of coinciding with a competitor's product to pick and choose other features they like and add them to their own. They've done it in the past after all to some degree or another, and sometimes their iteration is better, sometimes it's worse. Keep in mind that Guild Wars 1 had non-combat pet battles before, even if the WoW system is being overwhelmingly compared to Pokemon. I think those types of comparisons are perfectly valid.

    Guild Wars 2 doesn't bear a strong resemblance to many other games I've played or heard about, aside from Guild Wars 1 (which enjoyed rather limited popularity in comparison to World of Warcraft). I think the combat system and dynamic event system in particular are innovations which could be quite successful conceits in what has become a relatively stale field, auto-attacking all day, target locked spells, killing 10 rats etc. All MMO's are judged against WoW, which is why when Aion, Rift, and SWTOR came out they all were to some degree just WoW-clones, and they have not done well, because they have not managed to do what Blizzard does to anywhere near the same level of quality.

    Guild Wars 2 though, according to Colin Johannson, is not competition for World of Warcraft; if anything GW2 would be a competitor against D3—although D3 is not truly an MMO, but rather just an action RPG/dungeoncrawler—as they both use the same pay-model of buy-to-play boxes with expansion packs. GW2 and WoW are both MMOs but as I said there are so many differences at so many levels of design that it is tough to really make a constructive and useful comparison of the two.

    We've come to expect a very high quality product from the MMO field because Blizzard has been delivering an amazing product for years. They started out by saying they could do better than Everquest and Runescape and they pretty much did so, right from the beginning. Other games came along and they tried to release their own competing product to take on WoW, without taking the time to really offer a polished game that would attract lots of customers (and keep in mind they also did themselves no favor by having subscription fees, because lets face it, Blizzard is making a lot of money off subscriptions). I think Guild Wars 2 is not only going to be a fun game, but it is going to bring a breath of fresh air to the genre and prove you don't have to just rip off World of Warcraft and change the art and UI slightly in order to be successful.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Massive respect for writing all that. I feel you deserve a special cookie:
    This is the kind of game GW2 is.

    My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

  8. #28
    GW2 is the next messiah and our lord and savior for the MMO world.

    That's really all you need to know.

  9. #29
    Mechagnome Mkalafut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    683
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    This is the kind of game GW2 is.
    What is this? I don't even.....

  10. #30
    Similar to SWTOR in that it is very story driven, and you don't pick up quests in the traditional fashion. The main differences are with group play and character scaling.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Silza View Post
    @Marn: Yeah, cause everything in GW2 is absolutely new to the genre and nothing has ever been seen in another MMO before.^^
    Thats kind of akin to saying that every note in a new piece of music has been used in other music before so its not new. Yes many parts have been used before. What has not been done before is put all those parts togeather in 1 game. Action based combat has been done before, Lack of trinity has been done before, WvW is the spiritual successor to RvR from DOAC. I could make a list from here to tomorrow of GW2 concepts that are mearly a new spin on old ones but still no game has assembled all those parts together into a cohesive whole on anything approaching this scale.

    There are very few truely new idea's left in the world to discover. What makes for new ideas is finding ways to improve and build on old ones.

    Who is John Galt?

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Massive respect for writing all that. I feel you deserve a special cookie:
    I actually made that

    O.o
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

    I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

  13. #33
    I am Murloc! Mif's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tarnished Coast
    Posts
    5,629
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I actually made that

    O.o
    Wait, what?

  14. #34
    Bloodsail Admiral Scrabblet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    1,172
    I can't really describe what kind of game GW2 is. It's like an MMORPG but it has more of an action feel, no grind, and no gear treadmill.

    It basically redefines the genre that is MMORPGs.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •