Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Secret hotfix to Queen's Garnet drop rate?

We noticed a massive increase in the amount of epic red gems we got out of geodes this week. Almost everyone got a queen's garnet from their Elementium Coated Geode. One person who had saved them up got 5 in a row.

Anyone else notice increased drop rate?

I've saved up for a couple weeks and also got 3/3 Queen's Garnets.

I've been saving as well, I have 6 elementium coated and 71 motes of darkness. I can't test it now but will later.
    You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me!

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Haven't seen any notice here OP and I've been through every single DW since day 1 of the patch, Only gotten probably 3-4 reds upon those kills. Last week I got no epics from the geo's and 1 orange gem from the DW mote.

i've gotten 15 since DS started (near full clear every week, always madness). I think the drop rate for reds is higher than the other ones

It could be possible. Since DS came out, I've only seen two Queens Garnets drop for my raiders, 10 man that is. However, this past week we got 3 of em after the first 7 bosses. It seems like they MIGHT have increased the drop rates on epic gems, but it could also be just RNG. We'll have to see if the next few weeks we get more drops of epic gems before we can say anything about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. RNG is RNG, trite as it sounds, until you have a massive sample size its just speculation. Now, it could potentially make sense, many multiplayer games incentivise new content, such as increasing drop rate of BoEs first few days of a new tier, or making a new champion OP at first in LoL then tuning him down after people buy, etc. This could be to prevent gold sellers from using gems to move in game items for IRL cash. It could be just to make epic reds more uncommon.

HOWEVER, there is no proof of this. Its just speculation. A conspiracy theory, if you will. One which I don't hold to, but I am pointing out a few possible reasons why it *could* be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfriend View Post
    No. RNG is RNG, trite as it sounds, until you have a massive sample size its just speculation. Now, it could potentially make sense, many multiplayer games incentivise new content, such as increasing drop rate of BoEs first few days of a new tier, or making a new champion OP at first in LoL then tuning him down after people buy, etc. This could be to prevent gold sellers from using gems to move in game items for IRL cash. It could be just to make epic reds more uncommon.

HOWEVER, there is no proof of this. Its just speculation. A conspiracy theory, if you will. One which I don't hold to, but I am pointing out a few possible reasons why it *could* be true.
    OP is just collecting anecdotes. 'Bout the best anyone can really do.

But, yeah, my guild has also noticed in the past two/three weeks that Queen's Garnets seem to drop more.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

What is a Queen's Garnets??? Oh wait, a red epic gem... only had 2 dropped, since the patch went live... $$@#%#$^ blizz...

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfriend View Post
    No. RNG is RNG, trite as it sounds, until you have a massive sample size its just speculation.
    Which is why I made a post to ask if anyone else had noticed an increase as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    My warlock tends to get yellow, green and blue gems... Our tanks are happy. My other chars get more of the other colours, with nicely few purples and a fair amount of red gems among them them.

I got 2 Queen's Garnets and immediately went to Onyxia's Lair. Yup, she definitely deep breathes more.

I haven't noticed a buff to the drop rate, however i think i'm one of the few in my guild who has gotten a red gem EVERY week after killing deathwing.

They all hate me >.>

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barael View Post
    I got 2 Queen's Garnets and immediately went to Onyxia's Lair. Yup, she definitely deep breathes more.
    lol.

OT: Don't know was 2-3 weeks ago I was in DS on any char.
    "If you are going to do something, including being an alcoholic, don't half-ass it. /Cheers." - Vezrah, 2012

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PalawinFC View Post
    We noticed a massive increase in the amount of epic red gems we got out of geodes this week. Almost everyone got a queen's garnet from their Elementium Coated Geode. One person who had saved them up got 5 in a row.

Anyone else notice increased drop rate?
    RNG
    Nothing else, just that you got lucky.

10+ Year Old Account
    i gotten the other gems and few times but only 1 red gem lol i sold few they crazy high prices on my server crazy people but hey people was buying them

TBH I think they NEED to up the drop rate. The red gems are, for whatever reason, the rarest ones of all and therefore the AH prices on Turalyon are absolutely ridiculous - even the blue-quality ones go for over 300g a single gem (uncut OR cut, funnily enough) while last I checked the epics were like 3-4k gold. That's outright ridiculous. The JC market basically is Red > everything else, since most non-red gems are worth only a handful of gold while red is worth like 300% more. Something is wrong there.

I don't think I've ever gotten any red gem, ever. It's mostly Shadow Spinels, and maybe a Lightstone here or there, or the orange one (forget the name) which is okay for my tank spec and terrible for my DPS spec since it's all red gems.

Maybe, we went 8 for 10 this week on them after killing Deathwing. I also noticed an increase in quantity on the auction house along with a drop in the other colors. Normally we have about 5-20 uncut on my server. Tuesday that spiked up to 50+. The week before that was under 20 on Tuesday. It could also be duping again.

I've had reds from the DW gem pretty much every week except this one where I got a purple. I'm unconvinced there's been any change at all.

The other 7 gems gave me the customary collection of worthless shite. Think I've got 3 epic gems out of them, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Arothand View Post
    TBH I think they NEED to up the drop rate. The red gems are, for whatever reason, the rarest ones of all and therefore the AH prices on Turalyon are absolutely ridiculous - even the blue-quality ones go for over 300g a single gem (uncut OR cut, funnily enough) while last I checked the epics were like 3-4k gold. That's outright ridiculous. The JC market basically is Red > everything else, since most non-red gems are worth only a handful of gold while red is worth like 300% more. Something is wrong there.

I don't think I've ever gotten any red gem, ever. It's mostly Shadow Spinels, and maybe a Lightstone here or there, or the orange one (forget the name) which is okay for my tank spec and terrible for my DPS spec since it's all red gems.
    LOL.
    I sell my Queen's Garnets for 8500 each, and they sell within minutes of posting. I'm so glad my main doesn't use red gems.

OT: I think they've taken a sharp upswing. We had 9/10 Queen's Garnets from DW bags 3 weeks in a row now, where-as before we were cheering "grats!" whenever we saw one (1-3 per week)