Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

When Games Were ACTUALLY Hard! Remember?

When people talk about how WoW is hard or how people complained at the start of Cata, I died a little inside... remember when games were actually hard?

Back when Nintendo games had such simple mechanics but required such precise timing or such strategy that they made you throw controllers and you spent more time wiping in Nintendo games than you do in raids today?

What are some of the games that were actually hard come to mind?

I played so many Nintendo games growing up, a lot of them made you want to kill yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Superman on nintendo 64. beat that, but also there are still hard games around today like dark souls. oh and i wanna be the guy.
    Last edited by Foxtails; 2012-02-17 at 06:29 AM.

Sig by the amazing Shyama! <Ascension 16/16 H 25man oceanic>

10+ Year Old Account
    I think a lot of the games back then including the old fashioned Dungeons and Dragons were centered around critical though and going toe to toe against peers and beating them mentally. There was a TED talk on this subject once. If someone could post a link that'd be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtails View Post
    Superman on nintendo 64. beat that.
    I remember Lion King for NES.. there's this one part where you're on the back of an Ostrige I think? I don't remember..

But there's one part where you have to Double Jump, I could never get past it.. that part made me rage like no tomorrow. That whole race scene was a PAIN IN THE ASS

10+ Year Old Account
    Ever play the Impossible Game?
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Water level for TNMT for Nintendo.

Battletoads with your idiot friend on the hoverbike stage.

Actually finishing MYST.

Of course, you can do them all now and they aren't so hard as you remember, either.

remembering things back then the one thing that really made them hard were the limited number of attempts or lives. the precision.. maybe.. but after a bit of repetition at one point; as my friends would say, once you are one with the controller you do alot of stuffs out of intuition/subconsciously. just like wiping and wiping in wow on a dungeon / raid ), to his or her, or their definition i say of "hard"

Deleted
    People used to cry about Super Gouls'n ghosts being hard but my brother completed it in a night.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes... I do so miss the start of Cata...

Quote Originally Posted by coreygeer View Post
    Back when Nintendo games had such simple mechanics but required such precise timing or such strategy that they made you throw controllers and you spent more time wiping in Nintendo games than you do in raids today.
    Never liked those games back then even. While most kids were playing spazz buttons on an NES I was playing a games that made you think not twitch, Zork, Ultima, Bards Tale etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kingdom Hearts 1 on Proud mode, oh god.
    The amount of precision timing that requires to not be one shotted, even at a high level makes it so much fun.\

I've played alot of hard games on N64, PS2 etc, but I just can't name them one.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

10+ Year Old Account
    contra

/thread

Quote Originally Posted by coreygeer View Post
    I remember Lion King for NES.. there's this one part where you're on the back of an Ostrige I think? I don't remember..

But there's one part where you have to Double Jump, I could never get past it.. that part made me rage like no tomorrow. That whole race scene was a PAIN IN THE ASS
    I know exactly what you're talking about. It took < 10 year old me weeks to get past that level, but it was well worth it. What kills me are people who think that games like TOR are grindy. Like for fuck's sake, it's not grindy, you don't know the definition of grindy, you're just too lazy to do something with your fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Water level for TNMT for Nintendo.

Oddly enough I never had trouble on the dam but my brother broke a controller over it.

10+ Year Old Account
    They were not hard actually.
    Everything is hard when you are 8-12 years old.

Try to play any of the "hard" game on emulator now. You will be suprised.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone remember the old NES game, Hydlide? I still haven't beaten it to this day and it was released almost 30 years ago... EFF that game...

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post

Battletoads with your idiot friend on the hoverbike stage.
    This - So many times over. I lost track of the endless hours poured into that one with a nub mate

Just look up "silver surfer". Whoever created the game was sick in the head...just sadistic lol

Aztec challenge. Ok it was stupid. At least for me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by wowcool View Post
    Just look up "silver surfer". Whoever created the game was sick in the head...just sadistic lol
    ^this Silver Surfer is just wtf hard