Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Madness HC (10): platform 4 (blue): dealing with bolt and crush?

Last night we would wipe multiple times on the blue platform (we do green red yellow blue) on 10m hc. We run disc/rdruid/hpally + dk tank + rogue/spriest/lock/mage/hunter/ele shaman. Our strategy involved having everyone stacked under barrier near the wing tentacle when the bolt would impact, dps it down and spread out. But while getting stacked we got aoe cockslapped by crush and would die. We came up with all fancy theories that a dk ghoul (pet) was still within melee ranged and that was why we got crushed. Basically some were under the impression the add was not supposed to crush when we were out of melee range since it would cast something. Now judging from other forum posts it doesn't look like many guilds have an issue with this, as there is nothing to be found. I checked back what was recorded and couldn't find anything either. I even saw kills where people would just run to the back of the platform, still spread out (max range on bolt impact), players with immunities would stay in range and deal with the crush like usually. We only made it twice past the crush/bolt with the whole raid alive (with the stacking strategy).

Could anyone clarify the mechanics (when the add is supposed to crush and when not) and how they handle this in combination with the bolt?

Cheers

EDIT: No longer relevant since i assumed it was about normal mode.
    Last edited by Inthislzon; 2012-02-17 at 04:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Inthislzon View Post
    We had that issue too, but what worked for us was switching to 1 tank 2 heals 7 DPS. We were able to kill the mutated corruption just BEFORE elementium lands, that enables us to use no CDs on bolt, and have them for each blistering phase, so it becomes healable with 2 heals.

Also you can go farther away reducing even more bolt dmg (decreases with distance)

Here is a log just in case you wanna give it a shot: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/i6i11...?s=2337&e=3055

As you can see our dmg is kinda low, but with some good DPS it's quite easy, especially ones that can burst down blistering AND elementium terror (head phase) FAST
    Cheers.

It was our healers their initial impression they could 2 heal it, but soon after they changed their mind that the last phase would be too hard to 2 heal (which we never experienced btw). How did your healers handle the last phase?

Edit: I think you're talking about normal, judging from the log. I was talking about the heroic version.
    Last edited by zenga; 2012-02-17 at 03:35 PM.

Deleted
    I fear that in 10 HC the strategy of using 2 healers is not as viable as in normal...

Deleted
    InthisIzon you understand OP talks about 10 HC? imo it's not doable to kill the corruption in 10 hc before the elementium lands.

OP i would propose to stack healing cooldowns. aura mastery + barrier + pre cast tranq (1 sec before impact) and then spread out asap after impact. you should save this cooldowns for that.

Deleted
    I see that you are attempting without a arms / fury warrior, may I ask why that is?

I raid as a arms warrior and most of the times I am in the top 3 of DPS. On Madness even higher because of sily adds (Bladestorm + sweeping strikes helps alot to go quickly back on the tentacle)

But for the bolt: Rallying cry is Amazing there.

Quote Originally Posted by Evassac View Post
    I see that you are attempting without a arms / fury warrior, may I ask why that is?
    Yes, warriors are good in the fight but does it require them? No. In 10man, there isnt a fight that really needs class stacking, or any specific class at all.

Quote Originally Posted by zenga View Post
    Cheers.

It was our healers their initial impression they could 2 heal it, but soon after they changed their mind that the last phase would be too hard to 2 heal (which we never experienced btw). How did your healers handle the last phase?

Edit: I think you're talking about normal, judging from the log. I was talking about the heroic version.
    Sorry, my bad, i thought you were talking about normal mode, gotta read thread names too XD

Maybe I'm missing something, but why do you want to stack for Crush? The barrier I'm sure is helpful for the bolt though. Also, I was under the impression that Crush went off no matter what at random targets - is this different in Heroic? What is with the melee range requirement?

there's some logs of the fight being 2 healed, but that's probably including lots of dpsing druids/priests and tranquilities.

either way, what we do with 3 healers + 1 tank:
    corrupted tentacle spawns, pop bloodlust, dps it as much as possible but make sure the parasite is dead before it explodes.
    bolt comes up
    everyone runs towards the winged tentacle, pop pwd barrier + aura mastery. important: stay inside the barrier until you are healed up. the corrupted tentacle does not cast crush while no one is in melee range. melees not dpsing the bolt until everyone was healed up (which is faster anyway with 3 healers and everyone bunching up for aoe heals) was never a problem, although we had 4 ranged and 2 melee. the tank runs in first and ideally the crush will just right away land on him away from the camp. but at this point everyone should be surviving it anyway.
    the worst you can do is one guy running a direct line right after the bolt lands towards the corrupted tentacle, so he gets the crush and it hits everyone.

edit for last phase:
    while its doable with 2 healers (there's some logs on WoL, just check healers by ranking and check the top ranked healers, odds are they 2 healed it), I think it's an extreme stretch. first of all phase 2 is much more annoying on 10 men then it's on 25. We were too hasty at the start and had a LOT of wipes around the 14:30-15 min mark (ranging from 5 to 2%). Eventually we moved on to full out dpsing the winged tentacles on platform one, two and three (doing blue last) until the corrupted tentacle spawned. so that got them to about 75-80% roughly. the healing was more annoying but with 3 healers very doable. that gave us another 30s in the last phase.
    what we did in the last phase was:
    dps boss to 16%
    kill shrapnels
    let terrors spawn and kill them asap before or just while bloods spawn. at first we let them live (had a DK tank to reset the debuff), but it was just to much dmg.
    get the boss to 15%, aoe bloods.
    get to 10% asap and kill sharpnels on the way, trigger the 10% blood spawn, aoe them down. stop dpsing the boss.
    terrors spawn right after this, you won't have to hold dps much/at all.
    single target terrors down.
    zerg boss to 5%. pop pwd barrier and if you have it up, use dream for the 5% burst.
    bloods spawn. aoe them down. as soon as they are dead, dps should pop tranqs and finish off the boss.
    at least for us the healing towards the end was pretty sick. you have to go with full mana into the last phase. by gaining some time on the first 3 platforms we then had enough time under the overall enrage to do the last phase slower and controlled.

either way, if you think last phase is easy cause people are rolling over it in 25 men, you're probably in for a surprise.
    Last edited by kaib; 2012-02-17 at 04:58 PM.

Just a general wondering, how do guilds 1 tank this without a feral cat?

PS - For the last phase if your burst DPS is high enough and you have good aoe slows, you can ignore the last spawn of bloods and just zerg the boss down. Thats what we did, we got the boss from 5% - 1.5% (when he dies) without killing the bloods that spawn at 5%.
    Last edited by Notdev; 2012-02-17 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vedni View Post

All melees (incl. Tank) leave Melee range 2-3sec before crush is cast (-->Corruption melees Aspect)-> Crush targets the nearest raidmember -> that should be a shadow priest who uses dispersion for crush.

Shadowpriests can take impales with dispersion

We 2 healed it just fine. And our druid dps did not tranq on 4th plat.

OP: do not stack the entire raid up. Anyone with immunities should stay near landing spot. DK tank should be up there too as ams will cover bolt.
    We are recruiting!
    Full Spectrum - Alleria
    www.fullspectrumguild.com
    Skilled Players with Work and Families
    WoW Insider Interview

Quote Originally Posted by Kardone View Post
    Shadowpriests can take impales with dispersion
    This is how we do it. We have a holy paladin, arms warrior, resto shaman and prot paladin and we use Aura Mastery, Rallying Cry, Spirit Link Totem and Divine Guardian within a 5 second window. It's a lot of damage, but if you have your shadow priest eat the impale from the corruption eventually it becomes trivial to heal. The only issue you'll run into is not having major cooldowns (depending on your raid comp) for the second set of blistering tentacles. We usually have our shadow priest Divine Hymn at this time to help alleviate damage and it works for us. Anyways, good luck

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oatz View Post
    We 2 healed it just fine. And our druid dps did not tranq on 4th plat.

OP: do not stack the entire raid up. Anyone with immunities should stay near landing spot. DK tank should be up there too as ams will cover bolt.
    So is there any risk that the players who are stacked up (the ones without immunities) get crushed then?

I'm not entirely sure, but if crush hits melee range only then no. Theres just no reason to move your immunity people away. Make sure they save their CDs for it. What's your comp?
    We are recruiting!
    Full Spectrum - Alleria
    www.fullspectrumguild.com
    Skilled Players with Work and Families
    WoW Insider Interview

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure if it's the same on heroic, but we 1 tank it on normal and just Hand of Protection on the tank if we ever get a second impale.

Quote Originally Posted by ghunor View Post
    I'm not sure if it's the same on heroic, but we 1 tank it on normal and just Hand of Protection on the tank if we ever get a second impale.
    All "gimmicks" except dispersion does not work on hc. (yes thats AD, GS, cheat death, cauterize, bubble, and HoP not working on hc)

The one tank strat pretty much requires a shadow priest or a feral dps.

To the OP: I've yet to try 1 tank strat but maybe it's doable to make your sh priest take first impale and your dk tank taking second since he can stay there with AMS and IBF+vamp blood covering both impale and bolt.
    Last edited by Kalinga; 2012-02-17 at 08:08 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The way youre doing it is fine so sounds like its just an execution issue.

Just minimise the time youre actually all stacked and use whatever raid cds youve got (Barrier, Tranq) as well as personal cds for those that have them.