Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    correct answer: BOTH

    /thread

  2. #22
    High Overlord Korvasieni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Forest
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    Y = Yes
    Y? = Why
    This is true, BUT unfortunately many people don't use question marks (or any other kinds of marks), so it's not always that easy.

    I have often been in a situation where, for example, you are in a dungeon and say something like ''Hey, Xxlolmagexx, kite the adds please'' and the mage answers ''y''. Then you have to ponder if he means ''yeah, okay'' OR ''why?''. It could be either one of them. It's annoying.

    Anyway, I think y = why, and yh = yes/yeah. That's how I see most people using them.

    But the real question is this: why can't people just type ''yes'' or ''why''? Is it really that hard?

  3. #23
    I'd like to point out the thread was made to discuss which you interpret "y" to mean, yes or why, not a thread made to condescend to people or a thread made to discuss if someone choosing to use informal language is an idiot or not. Most people do know how to use English correctly but it's a choice, when they are playing online they aren't trying to write an essay or apply for a job. They are just hanging out with friends in an informal setting.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaitoc View Post
    Yes, anyone who doesn't conform to my arbitrary standards deserves to die!
    1) I think he's upset about the lack of communication. I think he was partially joking.
    2) I wouldn't call the English language an "arbitrary standard" exactly...

  5. #25
    Elemental Lord Gheld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,788
    If somebody I know talks to me in "Text speak", even on a text message, I cut them out of my life completely. So to answer the great debate; Y = Goodbye, I'm never speaking to you again.

  6. #26
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    16,494
    Quote Originally Posted by Dotfix View Post
    I've always wondered.

    Y = Yes
    OR
    Y = Why

    Discuss...
    Y = I don't know how to type. Seriously, three letters aren't that much harder to type than one.
    Well 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
    Because you look so fine
    And I really wanna make you mine

  7. #27
    Guys you are all off the tracks. Y = why. Why? cause:

    Y noun
    (plural y's) (also y) /waɪ/

    why
    adverb /waɪ/

    Both are pronounced the same way. Same as U=you


    U
    noun ( LETTER ) /juː/ (plural U's or Us)

    you
    pronoun ( PERSON/PEOPLE ADDRESSED ) /juː/, /jə/, /jʊ/

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Pihlaja View Post
    Guys you are all off the tracks. Y = why. Why? cause:

    Y noun
    (plural y's) (also y) /waɪ/

    why
    adverb /waɪ/

    Both are pronounced the same way. Same as U=you


    U
    noun ( LETTER ) /juː/ (plural U's or Us)

    you
    pronoun ( PERSON/PEOPLE ADDRESSED ) /juː/, /jə/, /jʊ/
    Have you ever answered a yes/no question on a form? (y/n)

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Illuwin View Post
    Yes = Yes and Why = Why, 'text' shorthand makes anyone that uses it look completely moronic.
    ^^this...only time i use "text" speak is when I'm actually texting, and only because i don't have a smartphone/full keyboard phone.

  10. #30
    This reminds me of a Simpsons episode when Homer discovered what does J mean in Homer J. Simpson.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    Y = Yes
    Y? = Why

    l2english noob
    i laughed because i use it like that =P

  12. #32
    Your typical LFD conversation:

    [PL] : r?
    [P1] : r
    [P2] : y

  13. #33

  14. #34
    Y for "yes".
    Just because it's been like that for over a 30 years.
    Using it to say "why" is plain dumb.

  15. #35
    Dreadlord xytech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Stormscale
    Posts
    864
    When you say "y" it may actually sound a little like why, it has however no relations sound wise with yes. Therefore I always assume people mean "why" and I'm almost always wrong. Hate that so many people use it for yes. Truly can't see why they would do that.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    Y = Yes
    Y? = Why

    l2english noob
    learn to english? that's not proper grammar, friend

  17. #37
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    16,494
    Quote Originally Posted by xytech View Post
    When you say "y" it may actually sound a little like why, it has however no relations sound wise with yes. Therefore I always assume people mean "why" and I'm almost always wrong. Hate that so many people use it for yes. Truly can't see why they would do that.
    I hate it that so many people can't just type out the damn words. When my mother text messages me, even she uses leetspeak, which drives me nuts, because she is ordinarily a perfect typist, and can manage 130 WPM on a keyboard. When she gets her hands on a cellphone, though, she looks like a blubbering idiot teenager.
    Well 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
    Because you look so fine
    And I really wanna make you mine

  18. #38
    Dreadlord rektlol's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    800
    I've grown up with y as why so whenever someone says 'y' i think they're asking 'why'
    this game sucks

  19. #39
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Faroe Islands
    Posts
    764
    Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    Y = Yes
    Y? = Why

    l2english noob
    i would not understand that. in my head its y = yes and when u say "why" u say "why".

    "y?" would be "yes?" in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoonalol View Post
    wat are the 2 gob mounts.. i only know the trike

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Illuwin View Post
    Yes = Yes and Why = Why, 'text' shorthand makes anyone that uses it look completely moronic.
    Guessing you've never heard the term "smarter not harder".

    People like you make me want to slam my face into a desk, basing peoples typing/shortcuts and ASSUMING they are less intelligent.

    Read my a sig. I don't have time to sit here and make sure everything is perfect in a post on a gaming website where clearly I'm trying to boast about my intelligence to people I will never meet or care about.

    Now, if I was writing an essay, sure using things like "ur" "y" "omg" then I will agree with you.

    But to sit here on a forum and correct people, is moronic. Go do something better then sit here and be a grammar cop.

    Thanks!

    On topic: Y = yes to me. Reason being I had a dos based computer back when I was young. Type "y" if yes when on the command prompt.

    I think people use y = why now, because of cellphones/instant messengers.
    Last edited by scdogg44; 2012-02-17 at 04:45 PM.


    Do me a favor and don't correct my spelling/grammar. I browse this site with a cell phone. Try harder next time to be an ass.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •