Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Prague, CZE, EU
    Posts
    4,414
    When alone I take it as Yes, when with a question mark then Why.


  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by xytech View Post
    When you say "y" it may actually sound a little like why, it has however no relations sound wise with yes. Therefore I always assume people mean "why" and I'm almost always wrong. Hate that so many people use it for yes. Truly can't see why they would do that.
    If you've ever filled out a job application, scholarship information, test form, police report, etc etc etc... then you've used "Y" for "Yes."
    It has been a paperwork abbreviation for decades.

  3. #43
    Titan Synthaxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rotherham, England/UK
    Posts
    13,047
    Quote Originally Posted by UcanDoSht View Post
    Just bcs u say so? Lol!
    What has the British Computer Society got to do with this?
    Coder, Gamer - IOCube | #Error418MasterRace #ScottBrokeIt
    Knows: Node.js, JS + JQuery, HTML + CSS, Object Pascal, PHP, WQL/SQL

    PC: 750D / 16GB / 256GB + 750GB / GTX780 / 4670K / Z87X-UD4H | Laptop: 8GB / 120GB + 480GB / GTX765M / 4700MQ

  4. #44
    When replying to a pre-pull check in a dungeon which is almost never done with a proper readycheck then yes I will often reply with y or r.
    Often because you have little time to actually react before the pull happens, in some cases before everyone has answered.
    When I am confident in having the time to type out a response then I will type it out properly.

    I am not aware of ever seeing it as y for why on its own, always in context.

  5. #45
    yes equates to yes
    why equates to why
    y is the second last letter in the alphabet
    CPU: i7 [email protected] Mobo: Rampage IV X79 RAM: 32GB Ripjaw @ 1600Mhz GPU: 7970 Sapphire OC SSD: 128GB M4

  6. #46
    It should be apparent from the context, and if it can be confused in the context, the full word should be used.

    /thread

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivius View Post
    y=yes

    those that use Y for why are just dumb <.<
    Y?

    On a more serious note. Depends on the situation/question on how I interpret "Y", and If I interpreted it wrong, I'll say "sry". :P
    But I use/understand "Y" as both.

    I myself love/like long and full sentences, even when texting sms, but when I'm playing, I will often use short sentences and/or shortened words, as y, k, sry, lol etc etc. I'm a healer, so when I'm in a dungeon/raid, I can't really take my time to write full and complete sentences now can I? :P
    I'm not that fast of a typer, and I also tend to write some words wrong in every sentence, making me go back and fix them before I press enter, thus making me use more time on typing a response.

    So I can/will use short sentences/words when I'm healing as long as I get understood, and "normal" sentences between pulls/wipes.
    And as long as I can understand the other players I have no problem what so ever, eve if they use really short words as "y" and so forth.

  8. #48
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    16,494
    Quote Originally Posted by scdogg44 View Post
    Guessing you've never heard the term "smarter not harder".

    People like you make me want to slam my face into a desk, basing peoples typing/shortcuts and ASSUMING they are less intelligent.

    Read my a sig. I don't have time to sit here and make sure everything is perfect in a post on a gaming website where clearly I'm trying to boast about my intelligence to people I will never meet or care about.

    Now, if I was writing an essay, sure using things like "ur" "y" "omg" then I will agree with you.

    But to sit here on a forum and correct people, is moronic. Go do something better then sit here and be a grammar cop.

    Thanks!

    On topic: Y = yes to me. Reason being I had a dos based computer back when I was young. Type "y" if yes when on the command prompt.

    I think people use y = why now, because of cellphones/instant messengers.
    You're more than welcome to keep typing any way you want to, and I'm likely to continue to make judgments on the value of your posts as a result.

    It doesn't take long to type correctly. If you make a habit of it, it ends up not really being any slower. Even on a cell phone, unless you're using the old kind without a keyboard, it only takes less than a second to type out the full word, and people will take your posts more seriously. If you don't care whether people like me and other grammar/spelling police think of your posts, by all means keep doing what you're doing.
    Well 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
    Because you look so fine
    And I really wanna make you mine

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekindled View Post
    yes equates to yes
    why equates to why
    y is the second last letter in the alphabet
    Say the second last letter out loud to yourself

    So does d = dee
    So does c = see
    So does y = why
    So does g = gee
    So does j = jay
    So does p = pee
    So does t = tee


    Do me a favor and don't correct my spelling/grammar. I browse this site with a cell phone. Try harder next time to be an ass.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Activi-T View Post
    Why anyone feels the need to shorten three letter words in the first place is beyond me.
    Why type in 3 letters when u can get away with using only 1?

  11. #51
    Brewmaster MrKnubbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,443
    You guys act like you've never seen this used before and to determine their answer based on context. Not everybody types properly and I've had situations where I don't understand what they mean. For example: "Did you do this?" Their answer: "y" Does that means yes they did do it or are they asking me why I want to know?

    Nothing can hold me back!

  12. #52
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    16,494
    Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    Why type in 3 letters when u can get away with using only 1?
    Why wear a shirt to work when you can get away with just wearing pants? Because people judge you for not wearing your shirt.
    Well 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
    Because you look so fine
    And I really wanna make you mine

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Why wear a shirt to work when you can get away with just wearing pants? Because people judge you for not wearing your shirt.
    If they did, they never let me know. And when i don't know, I don't care.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    You're more than welcome to keep typing any way you want to, and I'm likely to continue to make judgments on the value of your posts as a result.

    It doesn't take long to type correctly. If you make a habit of it, it ends up not really being any slower. Even on a cell phone, unless you're using the old kind without a keyboard, it only takes less than a second to type out the full word, and people will take your posts more seriously. If you don't care whether people like me and other grammar/spelling police think of your posts, by all means keep doing what you're doing.
    iPhone's and this website to really mesh very well. Going back to correct an auto correct, is time consuming. Seeing how I'm not on this website to prove my intelligence, I will continue to not care.

    Are you grading me on my posts? No, so stop trying to act like you are smarter then me, or anyone else because when it really boils down to it, it's we just don't care.

    I think correcting people on there grammar should be against terms on forums because it's usually just starts fights and your sitting there trying to make fun of the person because he/she doesn't sit there and correct every little mistake.

    If you can read what I'm saying, who cares, move on. It's a forum ffs = for fu*ks sake.


    Do me a favor and don't correct my spelling/grammar. I browse this site with a cell phone. Try harder next time to be an ass.

  15. #55
    Titan Adam Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sarif Industries, Detroit
    Posts
    13,611
    context.

    but really "yes" and "why" are not difficult words to type. And I'm tired of "u" replacing "you" and "r" replacing "are"

    Seriously, are people *that* lazy that they have to abbreviate three letter length monosyllabic words?

    I can understand some abbreviation in text media from cellphones or IM-style chatting such as in WoW, but honestly . . . three letter words aren't hard or time consuming.

    If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Why wear a shirt to work when you can get away with just wearing pants? Because people judge you for not wearing your shirt.
    You are really going to sit here and compare typing to what you wear to work? Are you even making sense at this point? Get over yourself.


    Do me a favor and don't correct my spelling/grammar. I browse this site with a cell phone. Try harder next time to be an ass.

  17. #57
    Based on my experience when communicating with people via text, "y" means why. Yes this may be lazy as you are asking why shorten a three letter word to one, however the reason it is done by many is not because of laziness but due to character limitation in text messages. While this is somewhat irrelevant now, hence why not as many people text this way anymore, when texting first began you were confined to 160 characters per text on non-unlimited text plans. Shortening words, even such as why into y, resulted from this.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    context.

    but really "yes" and "why" are not difficult words to type. And I'm tired of "u" replacing "you" and "r" replacing "are"

    Seriously, are people *that* lazy that they have to abbreviate three letter length monosyllabic words?

    I can understand some abbreviation in text media from cellphones or IM-style chatting such as in WoW, but honestly . . . three letter words aren't hard or time consuming.
    Why does it irritate you? Do you understand it?

    And to all the haters on this subject, if you are telling me you NEVER abbreviate words I'm calling BS.


    Do me a favor and don't correct my spelling/grammar. I browse this site with a cell phone. Try harder next time to be an ass.

  19. #59
    Warchief Vayjir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    2,232
    Y=Y
    I find it quite annoying when people use one letter or one number instead of a word.

  20. #60
    Scarab Lord xylophone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    4,173
    Quote Originally Posted by Honzi View Post
    context ftw m8
    This, context is a magical thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •