Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by minro View Post
    My girlfriend sent a text to me about 3 years ago that said, "blah blah blah blah blah."

I then replied with, "blah blah blah blah. some random arbitrary statement like lets go see a movie blah blah blah."

She sent, "lol"

I replied with, "What about that last comment made you audibly laugh?"

Now I don't have to deal with stupidity in texts anymore. I am a much happier man.
    There is a deep level of irony here, as I literally laughed out loud when I read this. And a big grats to you, as I am still searching for the nirvana that is no more stupid texts.

15+ Year Old Account
    It was always why for me, but recently i assume people mean yes as they've all started doing it.

Though if i saw a 'Y' i would never see it as a why.

Quote Originally Posted by ible View Post
    When a random nab /w telling me to defend SW from the attacking couple horde a just reply is: Y

Whether it is received as a question of why or a "yes", I don't care he may take it as he wish. It is response to the whisper reflecting my care. If I really wanted to know why I should defend SW, I would of put a little more effort in asking why.

Cowt is onto it.

There are so many questions and variations of sentances. MUCH is total garbage, just reply is other garbage replies like: Y.

Seriously. Who are you to tell anyone how they are to speak/write? mmochamp mod or other enemies of freedom? People are different and they speak different. This English language we are using there are different versions of already thanks to the americans. Dialects and slang are widespread. Find it in music, media, internet, anywhere. How big percentage of the abbreviations you use would your parents understand?

You don't need to spend much time in game before you meet the community standard that resolve around: Umad? Y U rage much? Y U no cn hlp my arms warri kliihd hoggar!

Ask me to help you kill hogger and i will reply to you:

Y

It is a universal answer. Yes I will help you, but why do you need help, why should I help you, why cant you do it yourself.

It is all about common sence really. Something that's going extinct in our western societies. I'm just trying to say, languages evolve. We are in international communication. It's youth who evolve the language. Not narrow minded grammar police acting as if we are adding to wikipedia while chatting in game and on forums.

Even the perception of abbreviations and slang are of course perceived differently by different people. Everyone is using some kind of words that are received as totally werd elsewhere.

You do NOT speak the ultimate version of language.

Let people speak.
    Just because you understand what people mean doesn't make it ok. There is a difference between evolving a language and just allowing the bare minimum and often stupidity to become commonplace. It carries over into other places, and it is not ok. Accepted by tweens doesnt make it right.

Deleted
    y = yogurt?

10+ Year Old Account
    My girlfriend sent a text to me about 3 years ago that said, "blah blah blah blah blah."

I then replied with, "blah blah blah blah. some random arbitrary statement like lets go see a movie blah blah blah."

She sent, "lol"

I replied with, "What about that last comment made you audibly laugh?"

Now I don't have to deal with stupidity in texts anymore. I am a much happier man.

Edit: So I dont get into trouble with a mod, here is my on topic view.
    Y = 'and' in friggin Spanish.
    Semantic shift has transition "lol" to express acknowledgement of message received which requires no further response. I am really sorry your girlfriend decided to be laconic instead of merely silent or respond to your message as you had wanted her to do so.
    Last edited by eriseis; 2012-02-18 at 06:54 PM.

I feel this picture fits this topic well.

http://fumaga.com/i/y-r-and-u-are-fucking-letters.jpg

Not actually posting because it's a fairly long picture.

Fair warning, it's very vulgar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    It's not that drugs are for people who can't handle reality. Reality is for people who can't handle drugs.

Deleted
    A single y will always be why to me because of how you pronounce it.

Have people never seen the "Y U No"-meme?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eriseis View Post
    I am very sorry you are not aware of semantic shift and the fact that "lol" is now used to express acknowledgement of message received which requires no further response. I am really sorry.
    You are sorry. I am perfectly fine with not having to deal with lazy 12 year old "semantics".

Here is a better version of your post:
    I am very sorry you are not aware of semantic shift and the fact that "lol" is now used by young adolescents to express acknowledgement of message received which requires no further response. I am really sorry.
    In case you don't get it, all three definitions scream immaturity.
    i hate people
    Quote Originally Posted by Epiphanes View Post
    It's a game. It's not real life nor will it ever be. If you want true recognition for being good at something, go play a sport and send us a link to a live stream of you winning the Gold at the next World Olympics. Until then, shut the f*ck up.

Why is this not a poll?

Y is Why.

In my language, we have so many ways to agree with someone that I don't need to use the Y for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Genganger View Post
    Often I just open the fridge instead of turning the lights on in the kitchen. I like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are sorry. I am perfectly fine with not having to deal with lazy 12 year old "semantics".

Here is a better version of your post:

In case you don't get it, all three definitions scream immaturity.
    Well, I am aware of bigger issues in life to get peeved over someone using "lol". So, thanks for the laughs.

---------- Post added 2012-02-18 at 02:25 PM ----------

Just to note, and I admit I am guilty of this as well: I do appreciate the ironic statements that accuse people of using improper language (and looking stupid, yadda yadda yadda) while written with poor grammar, lack of punctuation, flawed logic, et cetera.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Y" means "Yes" in the real world. "y" means "why" in the texting world. That's how it should stay.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    i daresay this has been covered, but i'd have to go with .. neither

because yes and why are such incredibly long words i feel an instant urge to shorten them.. ?

(and y is yes in some programs where you have to answer y/n, but that's the exception, and that's an exception i hate)

why not use y to shorten a longer word, like yellow, or youngster, or youthful, or yugoslavia

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    i daresay this has been covered, but i'd have to go with .. neither

because yes and why are such incredibly long words i feel an instant urge to shorten them.. ?

(and y is yes in some programs where you have to answer y/n, but that's the exception, and that's an exception i hate)

why not use y to shorten a longer word, like yellow, or youngster, or youthful, or yugoslavia
    Because none of those words are as common as "yes" or "why". Human shorten what they use the most, it's how language works.

10+ Year Old Account
    i remember the good old quote.

"If you say plz because it's shorter than please, i'll say no because it's shorter than yes."

seriously, 3 letters is not something that needs shortened, at current typing/writing/texting speeds, you save yourself maybe a second, and that shortening is hardly useful when there are people who can't even read the "word" correctly in context

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    i remember the good old quote.

"If you say plz because it's shorter than please, i'll say no because it's shorter than yes."

seriously, 3 letters is not something that needs shortened, at current typing/writing/texting speeds, you save yourself maybe a second, and that shortening is hardly useful when there are people who can't even read the "word" correctly in context
    While I do not agree with you, I respect your opinion. I was merely providing an explanation for why "yes" and "why" get shortened while "Yugoslavia" doesn't. I am not able to provide a justification that makes that right or wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Illuwin View Post
    Yes = Yes and Why = Why, 'text' shorthand makes anyone that uses it look completely moronic.
    y u say dat

Whenever I see it its usually someone trying to say yes.
    Hi Sephurik

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, I am aware of bigger issues in life to get peeved over someone using "lol". So, thanks for the laughs.

I, like you apparently, am also aware of bigger issues. I, unlike you apparently, like to use clear and concise communication to discuss those issues. This makes my quality of life much higher. That's my perspective and my prerogative. Its also my prerogative to think negatively about those who choose to use lol, u, r, y, the incorrect they're, there, and their, the incorrect you're, your, and yore, etc.

The question mark at the end of my first post indicates an inflection, which is used for questions and curiosities. I also said that I am a happy person. I love when people assume incorrectly.
    i hate people
    Quote Originally Posted by Epiphanes View Post
    It's a game. It's not real life nor will it ever be. If you want true recognition for being good at something, go play a sport and send us a link to a live stream of you winning the Gold at the next World Olympics. Until then, shut the f*ck up.

Yes = Yes and Why = Why

If people would take .5 seconds of their life to finish their words, we wouldn't need a 10 page thread about this.

But fine, I'll bite. If someone asks you "Are you ready?" then y means yes. If they ask you "Y are you sad" it probably means why. It's all subject to the context................

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i assume it means yes. though i never say it, i just say "ye" its one letter more, seriously, why cant people do that to save the confusion.
    If you are going to do that, why not just add the "s"? Its one more letter and it prevents you from looking like an idiot.

10+ Year Old Account
    I, like you apparently, am also aware of bigger issues. I, unlike you apparently, like to use clear and concise communication to discuss those issues. This makes my quality of life much higher. That's my perspective and my prerogative. Its also my prerogative to think negatively about those who choose to use lol, u, r, y, the incorrect they're, there, and their, the incorrect you're, your, and yore, etc.

The question mark at the end of my first post indicates an inflection, which is used for questions and curiosities. I also said that I am a happy person. I love when people assume incorrectly.
    Then I shall issue judgement in your peculiar use of the word "prerogative" and your need to assume I lack knowledge of rhetorical devices. Furthermore when you say "the question mark at the end of my first post indicates an inflection, which is used for questions and curiosities" you are saying that "inflection" is used for questions and curiosities, not that "question mark" is. Take a look on how subject use works.

No, but really, let's not gt on a slippery slope and earn a ban. Neither of us wins, ok?