Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
8
9
10
  1. #181
    High Overlord minro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    RIGHT BEHIND YOU AHMAGA
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by eriseis View Post
    Well, I am aware of bigger issues in life to get peeved over someone using "lol". So, thanks for the laughs.

    I, like you apparently, am also aware of bigger issues. I, unlike you apparently, like to use clear and concise communication to discuss those issues. This makes my quality of life much higher. That's my perspective and my prerogative. Its also my prerogative to think negatively about those who choose to use lol, u, r, y, the incorrect they're, there, and their, the incorrect you're, your, and yore, etc.

    The question mark at the end of my first post indicates an inflection, which is used for questions and curiosities. I also said that I am a happy person. I love when people assume incorrectly.
    i hate people
    Quote Originally Posted by Epiphanes View Post
    It's a game. It's not real life nor will it ever be. If you want true recognition for being good at something, go play a sport and send us a link to a live stream of you winning the Gold at the next World Olympics. Until then, shut the f*ck up.

  2. #182
    Yes = Yes and Why = Why

    If people would take .5 seconds of their life to finish their words, we wouldn't need a 10 page thread about this.

    But fine, I'll bite. If someone asks you "Are you ready?" then y means yes. If they ask you "Y are you sad" it probably means why. It's all subject to the context................

  3. #183
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i assume it means yes. though i never say it, i just say "ye" its one letter more, seriously, why cant people do that to save the confusion.
    If you are going to do that, why not just add the "s"? Its one more letter and it prevents you from looking like an idiot.
    WoW having more subs than SWTOR is the same thing as Justin Bieber having more youtube plays than Tupac. Just because its more popular doesn't mean its good.
    Warcraft Lore has gone from one of the most vast and interesting stories in all of gaming to a bad Thrall Fanfic by Chris Metzen.
    SWTOR Referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2MpjV9 7 free days and other free stuff.

  4. #184
    The Lightbringer eriseis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Not the ATX :(
    Posts
    3,880
    Quote Originally Posted by minro View Post
    I, like you apparently, am also aware of bigger issues. I, unlike you apparently, like to use clear and concise communication to discuss those issues. This makes my quality of life much higher. That's my perspective and my prerogative. Its also my prerogative to think negatively about those who choose to use lol, u, r, y, the incorrect they're, there, and their, the incorrect you're, your, and yore, etc.

    The question mark at the end of my first post indicates an inflection, which is used for questions and curiosities. I also said that I am a happy person. I love when people assume incorrectly.
    Then I shall issue judgement in your peculiar use of the word "prerogative" and your need to assume I lack knowledge of rhetorical devices. Furthermore when you say "the question mark at the end of my first post indicates an inflection, which is used for questions and curiosities" you are saying that "inflection" is used for questions and curiosities, not that "question mark" is. Take a look on how subject use works.

    No, but really, let's not gt on a slippery slope and earn a ban. Neither of us wins, ok?

  5. #185
    Quote Originally Posted by ible View Post
    OK or "right" ?

    Chatting is not an exam. So it got to be whether it is OK to speak in such manners.

    Oh. The irony. What manners talk about manners? It is OK that you think so, if it's OK that I think the opposite.

    Regardless. All kind of strange abbreviations will continue to be used and will continue to come. Personally I am happy the language is not so rigid among very rigid people or very rigid facts. It is much easier to make a smile if you are free for language restraints. Kind of why swearing is allowed on this forum, strangely when so much else are not.
    Promoting laziness is a very sad, sad thing. If you want to go around breaking down every single word into letters, then you're no longer speaking English. All this does is spread ignorance and make it ok to be. What's so wrong with using the skills you've learned since grade school on a forum? Are people really that lazy that they can't be bothered to press two or more simple keystrokes?(That was a general statement, not directed at you.) And much easier to make a smile free from language restraints? What the hell are you talking about? If someone comes up to me and starts talking in memes, or if a young adult comes up to me and starts talking like a small child, I'm just disappointed. I will give some credit to people who don't understand the language, but when it's your primary, then people need to actually learn the language.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    It's not that drugs are for people who can't handle reality. Reality is for people who can't handle drugs.

  6. #186
    Pit Lord Martinussen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Denmark, Ørum
    Posts
    2,442
    context.
    Y did you go that?! y=why
    Y i do love chocolate. y=yes
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

  7. #187
    The Lightbringer eriseis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Not the ATX :(
    Posts
    3,880
    Quote Originally Posted by xxf2dxx View Post
    Promoting laziness is a very sad, sad thing. If you want to go around breaking down every single word into letters, then you're no longer speaking English. All this does is spread ignorance and make it ok to be. What's so wrong with using the skills you've learned since grade school on a forum? Are people really that lazy that they can't be bothered to press two or more simple keystrokes?(That was a general statement, not directed at you.) And much easier to make a smile free from language restraints? What the hell are you talking about? If someone comes up to me and starts talking in memes, or if a young adult comes up to me and starts talking like a small child, I'm just disappointed. I will give some credit to people who don't understand the language, but when it's your primary, then people need to actually learn the language.
    When people say "octopi", it is historically incorrect.

    When people say "cherry", it is historically incorrect.

    The fact that we don't use octopedes or cherries is disappointing.

  8. #188
    Next time I ask "ready?'' and someone responds with "y" I am going to respond with "Because I want to pull, are you ready?"

    Type out your damn words.
    WoW having more subs than SWTOR is the same thing as Justin Bieber having more youtube plays than Tupac. Just because its more popular doesn't mean its good.
    Warcraft Lore has gone from one of the most vast and interesting stories in all of gaming to a bad Thrall Fanfic by Chris Metzen.
    SWTOR Referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2MpjV9 7 free days and other free stuff.

  9. #189
    High Overlord minro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    RIGHT BEHIND YOU AHMAGA
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by eriseis View Post
    Then I shall issue judgement in your peculiar use of the word "prerogative" and your need to assume I lack knowledge of rhetorical devices. Furthermore when you say "the question mark at the end of my first post indicates an inflection, which is used for questions and curiosities" you are saying that "inflection" is used for questions and curiosities, not that "question mark" is. Take a look on how subject use works.

    No, but really, let's not gt on a slippery slope and earn a ban. Neither of us wins, ok?
    I was using the word prerogative as my personal right to think however I want and to use the language how I want to. Its not peculiar at all. Its right in the merriam-webster definition.

    Inflections are used to indicate a question in spoken speech. I never said that is their only use. That again is your assumption.

    I also love how you changed your first post that I quoted. That change was much needed.

    I'm out after this as our personal little debate might derail this thread, which I do not want to do.
    i hate people
    Quote Originally Posted by Epiphanes View Post
    It's a game. It's not real life nor will it ever be. If you want true recognition for being good at something, go play a sport and send us a link to a live stream of you winning the Gold at the next World Olympics. Until then, shut the f*ck up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •