Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I've never understood this whole debate. Between paying for cosmetic items in the store, extra character slots, and paying for mission packs, and expansion packs they will have more than enough to sustain the game. Hell, I wouldn't mind paying for content patches. It's still cheaper than paying a monthly fee and they still get money for more content. It would be like paying 15$ for WoW patch 4.3 content. it was 5 months between 4.2 and 4.3 so it's like paying 15$ for 5 months vs paying $75 that wow makes you pay for their shit content. Just my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingmoney View Post
    Don't you know the meaning of life?
    Get born.
    Play WoW.
    Snort crack.
    Fuck bitches.
    Die.

Deleted
    Of course they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post

If too few buy expansions, the model fails. ...
    Do you really think they won't turn a hefty, sustainable profit from the sales of GW2, not to mention cash shop sundries? You missed something if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by semantic View Post
    Do you really think they won't turn a hefty, sustainable profit from the sales of GW2, not to mention cash shop sundries? You missed something if you do.
    You should read the whole sentence.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Deleted
    Overall, I personally dont mind subfees as long as I get value for the money. They could probably easily get subfees for the game, at least looking how the hype plays out atm and how the hype have been played out this last couple of months. However, the hype probably is strong because they seem to be delivering so much, and many of us are used to paying subfees for similar things. That's probably why you are worried.
    Keep in mind though, that GW2 expansions won't have free expansions, and they probably release them like major patches. That together with selling the box and additional services in shop will give them plenty of money.

I could imagine, if the game grows popular, that we will see more frequent expansions coming. I don't mind it =) Also, I think many people will buy the game, but since it's so different from mmos like wow a lot of people will feel uncomfortable with how some things work and that might scare them off. That will probably make many people leave the game the first months, and then the game settle on some stable number of players. That will probably make servers easier to handle as well when they know about just how many people play.

Personally, I'm used to smooth wow x-pac releases and hearing that this is rare... and game releases usually have many issues, I would expect this more likely to be the case in GW2 than not and that's why I'm not sure I will play it at release. The sane thing is probably wait a couple of days and read the comments, just to spare yourself a letdown having this shiny box, installed game but game being unplayable. Sure, ANet seems like a gaming company sent from above, but they are just human game developers like so many others out there who want to make a product and want it to be successful and to sell it well.

I don't mind sub fees either if I feel I am getting value for money in service and robust development. But I also enjoy ala carte Cash Shops that allow me to invest the time & money I see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Pretty much this, blizzard makes what? 150mill in a month off subscription fee's alone for WoW alone.
    Not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottsdaleHokie View Post
    Not even close.
    60 million is pretty close. Considering servers cost under a million per month, that's a pretty good deal for Blizz.

10+ Year Old Account
    When you go get Chinese food for dinner, it's always reassuring when you see that the guys working in the kitchen are Chinese.
    You just get a feeling that they know what they're doing.

I get the same feeling when this man makes me an MMO:

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    What is that supposed to prove? Oh yeah, nothing.

Blizzard doesn't make $150 million a month in subscription fees. End of story.

I wasn't taking into account expenses :x
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

B2P and F2P are becoming more and more popular. Server costs have been a joke and haven't been a real issue since games like Everquest came out. People just look at the model that WoW does so well and think of cash cow and try to tap into that market because of the amount of money you can get. Rift at least is doing a good job of constantly adding updates for it's subscribers, you can't say much about WoW. Their content patches became fewer and fewer over the years. I think many companies are closely watching ArenaNet right now. They're the first company that's going to release a AAA title like this with innovation to the genre.

If they pull it off expect many companies to follow suit in the coming years. Riot is another company that has had great success with League Of Legends and you're going to see games coming out with that model as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    What is that supposed to prove? Oh yeah, nothing.

Blizzard doesn't make $150 million a month in subscription fees. End of story.
    I was agreeing with you, and I realized that it was a poor comment, therefore I deleted it. Way to be a dick over nothing.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

They can make massive profit off box sales alone, plus a cash shop that was a major success in GW1 and there's no reason it won't be 2nd time around.

If you take WoW as an example most of their income is pure profit, server upkeep is close to none (listed under 'other expenses') and only a fraction of total income goes into developing new content.. there are graphs/reports/stats, google it if you want. People think their monthly fee money goes into new content and servers, it doesn't.

Plus you have to buy full price xpacs and have a cash shop with mounts and pets on top of that all; 3-4 months of monthly fee alone costs more than GW2 you can play for free forever after or any AAA game.

The real question is, how long will those old model games have an excuse to charge monthly fee in 2012+ after GW2/LoL/Tribes/etc success.
    Last edited by Lefuu; 2012-02-17 at 09:32 PM.

GW2 is likely going to drastically change the landscape of MMO gaming as we know it. Aswell as the bussiness models behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fawxey View Post
    I do believe at one point, WoW servers were costing Blizzard almost $140,000 per day to maintain. Not cheap at all.
    That comes out to 4.2 mil a month. While not cheep to us normal folks look how much bliz rakes in in sub fees over that month. base rate of 15$ times 10mil subscribers is 150mil a month in income. Approximately 3% of the sub fees they bring in go to server maintenance using the figures you pulled from who knows where. If you watch the vid posted in this thread they point out that they dont even itemize that on their earnings report, its part of several figures tallied in a footnote. While the sub income is probably a bit lower than that due to an indeterminate number of folks buying the cheeper multi month plans its still far far more than the server costs.

While server costs on the scale of WoW are not cheap to you or me, hell that daily figure is more than my anual income, its a drop in the bucket to a company the size of blizzard.
    Last edited by Merendel; 2012-02-17 at 09:38 PM.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    That comes out to 4.2 mil a month. While not cheep to us normal folks look how much bliz rakes in in sub fees over that month. base rate of 15$ times 10mil subscribers is 150mil a month in income. Approximately 3% of the sub fees they bring in go to server maintenance using the figures you pulled from who knows where. If you watch the vid posted in this thread they point out that they dont even itemize that on their earnings report, its part of several figures tallied in a footnote.

While server costs on the scale of WoW are not cheap to you or me, hell that daily figure is more than my anual income, its a drop in the bucket to a company the size of blizzard.
    Another person that thinks all 10 million WoW subscribers pay $15 a month.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another person that thinks all 10 million WoW subscribers pay $15 a month.
    Could you provide a source for your claim since my link I tried to support you with proves nothing?
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Blizzard/Activision are huge public companies. Can look into their records. Server costs are a dime in the ocean for them. Bobby Kotick is now director of Coca-Cola and Activision Blizzard. And he ran Yahoo before that. Do you think they don't know what the f__ they are doing over there?

For real. A few million in server cost is laughable to these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    Could you provide a source for your claim since my link I tried to support you with proves nothing?
    It's a known fact that in Asia, China more specifically, that they don't have monthly subscriptions, they use time cards to play.

This also plays into the whole 10 million subs number being complete BS, since someone in China that hasn't played in a year, but has 5 minutes left on his/her playing card is still an "active" sub and gets counted in their BS sub numbers.