View Poll Results: What type of punishment should this crime receive?

Voters
305. You may not vote on this poll
  • A few months jail time

    64 20.98%
  • A few years jail time

    35 11.48%
  • Community service

    111 36.39%
  • Restrict and monitor internet access

    77 25.25%
  • Financial reparations depending on the severity

    66 21.64%
  • No punishment

    88 28.85%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
6
7
8
  1. #141
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    I know I'm not in complete agreement with you on the topic, but I think you're better than that. Don't tell someone to stop acting hip on a message board and then say "clap clap".
    See, it was kinda funny. He or She decided my comment needed unsolicited clarity and thought it would be prudent to point it out. Though noble, the comment was irrelevant to the point I was making. Hence my comment about relevance. SOMEHOW, I'm an asshole.

    AND the person avoided the question. *shrugs*

    I fail to see how I'm at fault.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserneko View Post
    Alright, you've convinced me. You've defeated me with your superior intellect and articulate arguments. All hail Jokerfiend.

  2. #142
    No doubt people we go on about him being a freedom fighter or some shit... Punish him to the extent of the law to teach him a lesson, as all crimes should be, to help disuade people from doing it again.

  3. #143
    Titan Adam Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sarif Industries, Detroit
    Posts
    14,462
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    A good article some of you should consider reading to enlighten yourselves.
    http://weblogs.dailypress.com/techno...ong_about.html

    If Zuckerberg is willing to spend 8 months in a cell with him I agree, otherwise I don't see why Facebook thinks they should be allowed to press charges. Fictional movie or not, he did some unethical hacking himself. As far as I'm concerned he lost the right to bitch about people hacking his company when he broke into a facebook user's personal e-mail account while he was over 18 years old.
    Just because Zuckerberg is a hypocrite, doesn't mean what this kid did was right. He broke the law, twice, got charged with it the second time. his actions may have been noble or he may have been pranking, that's not the point. He broke the law, he does the punishment.

    Does Zuckerberg deserve to go to jail too? Perhaps, but that's beside the point.

    If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

  4. #144
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Just because Zuckerberg is a hypocrite, doesn't mean what this kid did was right. He broke the law, twice, got charged with it the second time. his actions may have been noble or he may have been pranking, that's not the point. He broke the law, he does the punishment.

    Does Zuckerberg deserve to go to jail too? Perhaps, but that's beside the point.
    No that is EXACTLY the point. You can't just invalidate the fact that Zuckerberg is a hypocrite. I understand producing charges against the kid, it's just too harsh. MONTHS? He stole the info, but didn't use it. I would say probation and restricted access to the internet. Does a white collar crime, really have to invest PRISON TIME? You are subjecting this white collar criminal to the worse form of humanity. It's vile beyond belief.

    It seems you need to get into touch with reality. Prison is beyond fucked up. This dumbass hacker, has no clue to what those chains really mean. When sentenced, you are nothing, not even the system will save you. Prison should be for the WORST of crimes, it should be used only in the most extreme cases.

    Is this one of those cases?

    Zuckerberg should ask the judge for a reduced sentence at least. It's not condonable behavior, the question should really be, how long and how harsh? 8 months of PRISON is ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserneko View Post
    Alright, you've convinced me. You've defeated me with your superior intellect and articulate arguments. All hail Jokerfiend.

  5. #145
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    No that is EXACTLY the point. You can't just invalidate the fact that Zuckerberg is a hypocrite. I understand producing charges against the kid, it's just too harsh. MONTHS? He stole the info, but didn't use it. I would say probation and restricted access to the internet. Does a white collar crime, really have to invest PRISON TIME? You are subjecting this white collar criminal to the worse form of humanity. It's vile beyond belief.

    It seems you need to get into touch with reality. Prison is beyond fucked up. This dumbass hacker, has no clue to what those chains really mean. When sentenced, you are nothing, not even the system will save you. Prison should be for the WORST of crimes, it should be used only in the most extreme cases.

    Is this one of those cases?

    Zuckerberg should ask the judge for a reduced sentence at least. It's not condonable behavior, the question should really be, how long and how harsh? 8 months of PRISON is ridiculous.
    He should have thought about that before he did it. If he's smart enough to hack Facebook, I'm going to guess he understands the risks inherent in hacking, let alone hacking something as huge as Facebook...

    He deserves a long sentence. It doesn't matter if he didn't use the information he stole, he still stole it.

    Do the crime, do the time.

    I hope this kid gets a harsh reality check that his actions have consequences.

  6. #146
    The Patient Noxplod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    U.S.A. East coast
    Posts
    228
    I didn't check in jail time ONLY because I don't know what this person did other than hack into their system. If he gained access to even a single persons personal info I hope that piece of shit gets locked away for life. If he just did it to see if he could do it, fine him and SEVERELY restrict ANY network access AND confiscate ALL network capable devices in he may own... (Not to mention he fucked himself if he ever plans on getting any type of IT job or ANY job involving computer access for that matter unless he gets recruited by a company or agency which you can google and find several hackers that have)

  7. #147
    I am Murloc! rhorle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,619
    If you commit a crime, no matter for what reasons, you should be punished. There are plenty of legal ways to let companies know about problems. It sounds more like they hacked a company hoping they could blackmail/convince them to reward them. Just because you say you will never doing anything or think you have morals doesn't mean that a crime wasn't commited.

    The judge was right in that "you and others like you must be taught how serious it is". Hacking no matter how black or white is still a crime and illegal. Besides it sounds like it wasn't that big of a vulnerability if a facebook system check could track him down even after he covered his tracks. Why couldn't he just e-mail Facebook with how to do it? Or you know maybe not download any data and keep it on an external drive...
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  8. #148
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    If you commit a crime, no matter for what reasons, you should be punished. There are plenty of legal ways to let companies know about problems. It sounds more like they hacked a company hoping they could blackmail/convince them to reward them. Just because you say you will never doing anything or think you have morals doesn't mean that a crime wasn't commited.

    The judge was right in that "you and others like you must be taught how serious it is". Hacking no matter how black or white is still a crime and illegal. Besides it sounds like it wasn't that big of a vulnerability if a facebook system check could track him down even after he covered his tracks. Why couldn't he just e-mail Facebook with how to do it? Or you know maybe not download any data and keep it on an external drive...
    Corporations, although lawfully, are not people. It doesn't matter what he stole, all that matters is the intentions with the goods. Yes it should be punished, I think MOST agree. How Harsh and How Long? I am saying PRISON TIME is retarded. Seriously? I just don't understand your point of view.

    Do you know what prison is like? REALLY know what it's like? People are saying Jail, nope, he would see PRISON time. It's a FEDERAL crime, albeit White Collar. So PRISON is where he'd go. I'm all for taking freedoms from those that don't wish to protect freedom. The time must fit the crime.

    Stop him from accessing the internet for 2-3 years. If caught in violation, would produce community service, in where he would work for the government catching those like himself. He would get paid.

    If choose not to work or refuses to cooperate. Then, jail time would be necessary. 2-3 months, should do the trick. Just keep escalating the punishment. Then have a psych eval on the prisoner. No rationale person would CONSTANTLY choose to have freedoms taken away. There has to be an under lining problem.

    The problem is, most mental diagnoses go unnoticed as children, then manifest sporadically in adult psych. The blatant disregard for the rules and standards is a serious issue. When obviously the system tried to warn him of his actions, and even HELP him with honest employment.

    Mozarts exists in varying areas in Society. The number # 1 greatest Guitar Hero player, arguably an achievement, is a Mozart with the controller. Or the Best Raiders, or the Best of anything. All some people want is that special chance. Bruce Wayne had Batman.

    I think that is enough of a point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserneko View Post
    Alright, you've convinced me. You've defeated me with your superior intellect and articulate arguments. All hail Jokerfiend.

  9. #149
    Herald of the Titans Syridian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The Outskirts of Lea Mondé.
    Posts
    2,772
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashield28 View Post
    I just stole a million dollars from the bank to prove that the security sucked.

    It was a joke but only I was in on it.

    Please dont jail me.

    Questions?
    It made me smile that the first reply was so on the nail. Well done.

  10. #150
    Quote Originally Posted by minro View Post
    No it isn't. In your case, the law firm would have to have all of the doors, windows, and locks open with all the lights on in the building for it to work in your hypothetical. Along with neon signs pointing directly where he needed to go. Not the case here at all.

    Also, information is a currency nowadays. Its exactly like breaking into a vault.
    There's a huge legal difference between copying $1mil worth of confidential information from a law firm and robbing a bank for $1mil.

    There's a reason he only got 8 months.

  11. #151
    The Lightbringer eriseis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Not the ATX :(
    Posts
    3,880
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashield28 View Post
    I just stole a million dollars from the bank to prove that the security sucked.

    It was a joke but only I was in on it.

    Please dont jail me.

    Questions?
    /applause
    10chars

  12. #152
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Just because Zuckerberg is a hypocrite, doesn't mean what this kid did was right. He broke the law, twice, got charged with it the second time. his actions may have been noble or he may have been pranking, that's not the point. He broke the law, he does the punishment.

    Does Zuckerberg deserve to go to jail too? Perhaps, but that's beside the point.
    You're right about a couple things; he broke the law, he deserves to be punished, and in addition to what you said he wasted time of officers. What's fucked up is that you think hacking into a site to cost them an equivalence of change for us which will essentially save them millions is worse than wasting an officers time. Sorry that I'm not like you and I don't feel that everyone needs to go to prison for every small thing. Jokerfiend is completely right when he says this guy should be punished, but jail is unnecessary in this case. Prison's are overcrowded enough without throwing another person in there. My point however is that I feel Facebook has no right to press charges against someone for some petty hacking, everything that this guy suffers Zuckerberg and any other small time hacker deserves to go through it if they truly don't condone what the guy did. I don't expect it, but I hate seeing the wealthy steal from the poor and get away with it, while the poor don't even steal from the wealthy and get thrown in prison because they were capable of it.
    Last edited by Greeney; 2012-02-18 at 05:11 PM.

  13. #153
    The Lightbringer Kevyne-Shandris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Basking in the Light
    Posts
    3,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    If Zuckerberg is willing to spend 8 months in a cell with him I agree, otherwise I don't see why Facebook thinks they should be allowed to press charges. Fictional movie or not, he did some unethical hacking himself. As far as I'm concerned he lost the right to bitch about people hacking his company when he broke into a facebook user's personal e-mail account while he was over 18 years old.
    Something folks should think about, hypocrisy.

    If the law is to be applied justly, it has to apply to everyone equally.

    Yahoo took the correct approach (much like break in testing), and a heck of a lot cheaper than hiring IT security staff. More minds are better than a few in shutting down exploits.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes. They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."
    Blizzard's blame game in action: Deleting 6,100+ of Kevyne's posts and threads from the WoW forums.

  14. #154
    I am Murloc! rhorle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,619
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    Corporations, although lawfully, are not people. It doesn't matter what he stole, all that matters is the intentions with the goods. Yes it should be punished, I think MOST agree. How Harsh and How Long? I am saying PRISON TIME is retarded. Seriously? I just don't understand your point of view.

    Do you know what prison is like? REALLY know what it's like? People are saying Jail, nope, he would see PRISON time. It's a FEDERAL crime, albeit White Collar. So PRISON is where he'd go. I'm all for taking freedoms from those that don't wish to protect freedom. The time must fit the crime.
    It doesn't matter if he stole from a person or not. It is still a crime. He hacked (a crime) into facebook and took information (a crime). You can't take whatever you want from a corporation and just say "Oh I meant well". That is just stupid logic. You could take a million dollars and say you were giving it to the orphans and you think you would be let off? I can't walk into the grocery store steal a bunch of stuff and then give it to the homeless and they not prosecute me.

    And yes I know what Jail and Prison are really like. It sends a message as well as teaching a lesson that this kid/person/whatever didn't learn. That hacking and stealing are crimes. It doesn't matter your intent its still a crime.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  15. #155
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    No that is EXACTLY the point. You can't just invalidate the fact that Zuckerberg is a hypocrite. I understand producing charges against the kid, it's just too harsh. MONTHS? He stole the info, but didn't use it. I would say probation and restricted access to the internet. Does a white collar crime, really have to invest PRISON TIME? You are subjecting this white collar criminal to the worse form of humanity. It's vile beyond belief.
    You actually can completely invalidate whether or not Zuckerberg is a hypocrite because the question is: does the person in question(aka not zuckerberg) deserve to be punished for what he did? It doesn't matter if he stole from Bill Gates and Bill Gates Sodomized a baby when he was a college student. The hypocrisy of the person he stole from has nothing to do with whether or not the sentence he received was proper. That can be evaluated completely on the merits of the case itself. And yes creating a digital copy of information that was not yours to copy is in fact stealing, whether he used it or not. Those people freely gave their information to facebook not him and he took that information from facebook and stored it on his own computer. Stealing. Had he used it through he would have gotten into a world more trouble. The stupidity, not mental handicap, does not excuse this hacker from any prison time either.

    I'm not saying the sentence fit the crime either but I do see a surprising amount of hypocricy in this thread in the form of people who would punish a hacker who stole the exact same personal information as a burglar who physically took it from their house less as long as that person "hadn't used it yet". Also it'd be nice if you didn't' just white wash white collar crime. Plenty of white collar crime deserves prison time just like there's "blue collar" crime that doesn't warrant it.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •