Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

UK Councils now allowed to hold prayer meetings

Hey, this kind of nonsense is what it must be like daily in some American states.

Link

The government is activating a power it says will allow councils in England to hold prayers at meetings.

Communities secretary Eric Pickles says he is "effectively reversing" the High Court's "illiberal ruling" that a Devon council's prayers were unlawful.

He says part of the Localism Act that aims to give councils greater powers and freedom will be brought in early.
    So, since a large part of his justification is apparently the "freedom to worship over intolerant secularism" - I have to wonder if atheist or non-religious councilors came into consideration when he decided to stamp on their freedom of belief?

Deleted
    this whole thing was caused by 1 man complaining in Bideford, a tiny town in north devon. kinda funny, nothing ever happens here, and weve been on the news this week

im curious unless they actually start passing laws based on religious ideals (which they wont), why does it matter? most people i know dont care since its not like it affects them.... i mean honestly unless they force people to pray i dont see the harm.
    Tell them that the Lich King is dead...and the World of Warcraft...died with him.

They're already passing a law soon that gives councils more control over what they do in meetings that will let them get away with it, shame really.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Senbo View Post
    im curious unless they actually start passing laws based on religious ideals (which they wont), why does it matter? most people i know dont care since its not like affects them.... i mean honestly unless they force people to pray i dont see the harm.

as far as i know from whats been on the news, a local council here held prayers at the start of their meetings, people weren't forced to pray, but it was part of the meeting. and an athiest man complained and got them banned, and now they're allowed again. i havnt really followed this properly though.

im curious unless they actually start passing laws based on religious ideals (which they wont), why does it matter? most people i know dont care since its not like it affects them.... i mean honestly unless they force people to pray i dont see the harm.
    lots of forced salutes and sing songs last i checked in school so...
    Isnt 10% of infinite still infinite?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ambigiouslynamed View Post
    lots of forced salutes and sing songs last i checked in school so...

forced to salute and sing songs? not in my school :\

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey, let's not take potshots at America, mmkay?

OT: I don't understand, what's wrong with praying at a meeting?
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    I find it quite disheartening that I got an erection just by reading "Cowboy boots".
    Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    The greatest generation is long dead? Last I checked, Miley Cyrus, Kanye West, Rebecca Black, and One Direction are all still kickin'...

Deleted
    It might be frivolous, but I don't see any wording here that prevents it effecting non-Christian council members. It basically means that the council de facto endorses a specific religion even if only for historical or morale reasons and it does so at the expense and the "marginalisation" of all non-Christian members.

It is the same thing as say collective prayers in school. It might come across as harmless moral contempltation but it is in fact a sinister endorsement by the state of a specific religion.

---------- Post added 2012-02-18 at 02:23 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Olianda View Post

Uh, nothing if it is your decision and you don't compel everyone else in the meeting to do it as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Olianda View Post

an athiest man got offended by them, people were not forced to pray it was just done for a few mins at the start of meetings.

Quote Originally Posted by Skavau View Post
    Hey, this kind of nonsense is what it must be like daily in some American states.

Link

So, since a large part of his justification is apparently the "freedom to worship over intolerant secularism" - I have to wonder if atheist or non-religious councilors came into consideration when he decided to stamp on their freedom of belief?
    Since, UK does not have any law that separates church and state, it comes to majority since its a democracy. If atheist or non religious councilors are minority, they can leave during the prayer meeting. and thats that. The right of minority should not take away the rights of majority.

It might be frivolous, but I don't see any wording here that prevents it effecting non-Christian council members. It basically means that the council de facto endorses a specific religion even if only for historical or morale reasons and it does so at the expense and the "marginalisation" of all non-Christian members.

It is the same thing as say collective prayers in school. It might come across as harmless moral contempltation but it is in fact a sinister endorsement by the state of a specific religion.
    actually endorsing would entail backing the religion. all they are doing is allowing those who wish to pray to do so, it also doesnt specify to a single religion prayer is something that is used in many religions.....
    Tell them that the Lich King is dead...and the World of Warcraft...died with him.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    an athiest man got offended by them, people were not forced to pray it was just done for a few mins at the start of meetings.
    I wouldn't say he was offended, I would have thought that his opinion that prayer meetings shouldn't be part of a governmental body's official agenda especially given we live in a secular society.

Deleted
    I'm sorry. You're complaining about the freedom of belief of athiests is impinged by religious believers being allowed to pray during council sessions. As a Christian myself, when I have to make big decisions, prayer is a big part of my decision making process, I cant make a decision without first praying about it. So realistically, we cant have a council with Religious believers on it if they cant pray.

Nowhere does it say that there must be prayer in a council meeting, nor does it say that an Atheist or someone who doesn't wish to be involved has to sit and listen to it, let alone be involved.

I thought Athiest's are not aloud to complain, but have to put up with religion being rammed in there face and told there is a god.... im surprised he got what he wanted for so long. Anyhow im just as much surprised eric pickles did anything about it between ham sandwhiches lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alms1407 View Post
    I wouldn't say he was offended, I would have thought that his opinion that prayer meetings shouldn't be part of a governmental body's official agenda especially given we live in a secular society.
    oh, on the local news here they said something about somebody finding it offensive, i havn't really followed this though, been all over the news here for about 2weeks now, getting bored of the story :P

Quote Originally Posted by Akiie View Post
    I'm sorry. You're complaining about the freedom of belief of athiests is impinged by religious believers being allowed to pray during council sessions. As a Christian myself, when I have to make big decisions, prayer is a big part of my decision making process, I cant make a decision without first praying about it. So realistically, we cant have a council with Religious believers on it if they cant pray.

Nowhere does it say that there must be prayer in a council meeting, nor does it say that an Atheist or someone who doesn't wish to be involved has to sit and listen to it, let alone be involved.
    It's not the fact that you pray, its the fact that it's apart of the official councils agenda, they can feel free to pray before a session but not during so.

Possibly a compromise could be reached by having 2 moments of silent prayer OR reflection time at the start of the meeting. Allowing everyone to get their thoughts together quietly, and those who want to to pray silently

---------- Post added 2012-02-18 at 02:23 AM ----------

Uh, nothing if it is your decision and you don't compel everyone else in the meeting to do it as well.
    Not exactly. If the prayer is something like one nation under God, then state not sponsoring any particular religion. If it says one nation under rama, or a specific god then its endoring a religion. Why is marginalization bad? if majority have no problem with it, then minority can leave or not do since its not forcing anyone to pray. Choice is still there. Minority will be margilized in all decisions anyway. Its the nature of being minority. Thats how democracy works. Giving too much rights to minority is a huge problem. Just look at U.S. congress, a small numbers of republicans could filibuster when democrates had super majority. Nothing got done at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alms1407 View Post
    It's not the fact that you pray, its the fact that it's apart of the official councils agenda, they can feel free to pray before a session but not during so.
    thats what a lot of councils were doing, doing prayers 5mins before the meetings so they are not part of the meeting, i think plymouth and exeter were both doing that.