Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Deatheryn View Post
    One thing that kills me about the Vita, If your battery takes a shit, you have to replace the whole unit, because the battery cannot be replace by itself! That right there ruins it 100% for me especially at the outrageous base price of $249! Simply not worth buying the 1st gen Vita!
    lol what are you talking about. The instructions to change the battery are right in the manual... Its quite easy

Quote Originally Posted by Auralian View Post
    Face it portables are being replaced by smart phones and tablets. Why would you pay $200 for something that has a smaller screen and is less capable? If I was to buy a Sony portable I would aim at the Sony tablet, at least then when I lose my damn remote I can use the tablet for it. :P
    Why would I buy a $400+ tablet over a Vita? Slightly larger screen is a pretty lame reason...and how is a Vita less capable...it can do pretty much anything a tablet can and it has a better game system. Honestly I view a Vita as pretty much a gaming tablet.

Also, kindle fires success shows you that a smaller screen isn't a big deal to most people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drekker17 View Post
    Why would I buy a $400+ tablet over a Vita? Slightly larger screen is a pretty lame reason...and how is a Vita less capable...it can do pretty much anything a tablet can and it has a better game system. Honestly I view a Vita as pretty much a gaming tablet.

Also, kindle fires success shows you that a smaller screen isn't a big deal to most people.
    When it comes to tablet gaming, I would rather play on a 7 inch tablet like the Fire than a 9 inch screen like the iPad. That's just too much machine for me to be manhandling for gaming sessions.

Tablets are pretty primitive in terms of gaming, and I highly doubt companies like apple and samsung will get gaming right. IMO, handhelds will never be surpassed and I doubt developers would want to leave the market. A 40 dollar vita game or 10 dollar app store item, not a difficult decision.

buddy has it, says the battery fails in about 2 hours, and the games have alot of glitches, unfinished product in my opinion

10+ Year Old Account
    only for Monster Hunter

It'll be a flop in my opinion. Ridiculously overpriced proprietary format memory rather than using a simple micro-sd card or similar, no backwards capability and not to mention the expensive price of the Vita starting at $349AUD and you don't even get a memory card with the purchase! You can buy a 160GB PS3 w/hdmi cable + 2 games for the same price and even that comes with it's own memory unlike the Vita.

In summary, there's better things to spend your money on at the price and unless there is a price drop on the Vita + memory cards, it's future doesn't look too bright as noticed in the severe drop off in people who bought it in Japan (78%!).

Quote Originally Posted by lockthompson View Post
    It'll be a flop in my opinion. Ridiculously overpriced proprietary format memory rather than using a simple micro-sd card or similar, no backwards capability and not to mention the expensive price of the Vita starting at $349AUD and you don't even get a memory card with the purchase! You can buy a 160GB PS3 w/hdmi cable + 2 games for the same price and even that comes with it's own memory unlike the Vita.

In summary, there's better things to spend your money on at the price and unless there is a price drop on the Vita + memory cards, it's future doesn't look too bright as noticed in the severe drop off in people who bought it in Japan (78%!).
    So many misinformed people. I can't tell if just trolling or not. Almost every system bundle right now comes with a card, either 4-8gb, for more or less free. The price is perfectly fine, find a smartphone not on a contract or tablet with as much power for less or even the same price for that matter..... The Vita is backwards compatible. All PSP psn games are working on it just fine and PSOne Classic support is coming very soon. No UMD is smart, why should they add a massive UMD drive to the back of this thing. The best part is you comparing a 6 year old console with a handheld that is just as powerful. In your strange world are Laptops also the same price as their just as powerful desktop relatives?

Also since you seem to lack any research skills you would know that the Vita is the second best selling sony console ever released in Japan. Only the PS2 at this point in its life was a better selling system. Also, people who expected it to do magnificent in Japan with no Japanese titles at launch are funny. Uncharted is not exactly a best selling title over there. It would be the same as throwing a CoD title at japan, ignorantly expecting huge sales, than when it sells like crap, claiming doom and gloom for the title repeatedly.

Quote Originally Posted by Itikadi View Post
    buddy has it, says the battery fails in about 2 hours, and the games have alot of glitches, unfinished product in my opinion
    lol 2 hour battery? I get 5 hours playing games on it and more if im not. Also if your claiming glitches, what games and what glitches? I have played most of them now and have not seen an issue. In fact they all play very smoothly and without a hitch.
    Last edited by Alcomo; 2012-02-19 at 03:06 PM.

Pick it up Thursday. Australia getting it 12 hours later sucks!

Uncharted - Wipeout and Virtua tennis are gonna get ripped to shreds...

Work out in the bush for 4 weeks at a time so handheld is perfect for me, will give some feedback when I get the chance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcomo View Post
    Just because the DS sold more than the PSP that doesn't mean anything. The PSP has a great library of games and is up around 80 million units sold at this point. The Vita is selling much better than the PSP did at this time in its life as well.
    ofc it does... and no the vita is not selling as well as the psp did. It has had by far the worst launch of a gaming device in recent memory.

My only complaints are the short battery life and awkward button placement. A game requiring both analog sticks AND the buttons(not L and R but triangle,X..etc) would be harder to play.
    agree the buttons look awkward and annoying.. could tell this back at e3 when they were showing off uncharted.

I think if this thing has a really good software lineup in the future, that it will do very well! It has an amazing launch lineup and many big names such as Bioshock and CoD announced for it. Being able to play a game like Mass Effect on the go is something I look forward to as an avid gamer. The price issue confuses me the most though, when it was announced everyone carried on about 'oh this thing is going to be like $400', the price is announced and everyone's jaws drop and people go on about how amazing the price is. Now that its finally released its back to 'oh this thing costs to much'. For the tech that's in this thing $250 is very reasonable.
    will people care? i know i dont want a Mass Effect 3 lite, CoD, Bioshock etc.. they just look like expensive ports of games im already playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcomo;15560544Personally
    I don't expect it to take off for at least 6 months simply because its lack of future title announcements. Come E3 this year though I think the tables will turn.
    very good positive attitude.. it will be a shame to see Sony step out of the handheld market if vita fails. People were already writing the 3ds off at this point in its life-cycle so who knows.

My issue has more to do with the name than the actual hardware. Who came up with the name Vita? If anything it makes me think of some sort of dietary supplement than a PSP2. Why not just call it PSP2... Something tells me it would have sold more if it was named the PSP2 as buyers will have a clearer idea that it is the successor. It makes the previous generation seem more obsolete when you come up with new hardware with a bigger number.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsumata View Post
    only for Monster Hunter
    monster hunter is no longer an exclusive and nintendo 3ds actually has more monster hunter games lined up.. or is it for the shiny?

---------- Post added 2012-02-20 at 02:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
    My issue has more to do with the name than the actual hardware. Who came up with the name Vita? If anything it makes me think of some sort of dietary supplement than a PSP2. Why not just call it PSP2... Something tells me it would have sold more if it was named the PSP2 as buyers will have a clearer idea that it is the successor. It makes the previous generation seem more obsolete when you come up with new hardware with a bigger number.
    lol.. actually its been known that calling it something like psp2 is more confusing to parents than having another stand alone name like vita.

Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    will people care? i know i dont want a Mass Effect 3 lite, CoD, Bioshock etc.. they just look like expensive ports of games im already playing.
    Ports? lol your trying to hard to bash something you obviously know nothing about. So much so that you say you have seen them when one is not even announced and the other two have had no screens or gameplay released yet. CoD and Bioshock are confirmed to be completely NEW games, not just ports. Those games are AAA titles that will sell a system whether you want to believe it or not. Also expensive? You know the prices already too do you? And whats even funnier is you call them ports of home console titles that are $60, then say they are expensive when they would be cheaper than the their console counterparts by at least $10. But since they are not ports and are completely new games, a $50 price tag is perfectly acceptable for a handheld game on par with a console.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
    The name Vita was used because it is Latin for Life.

Parents dont seem to have issues with iPhone1-4 considering how many lines up to buy them on release -.-"

Btw maybe my standards are a bit high but I would assume people know or can guess that Vita means Life in latin considering that the history of Vitamin is typically (I hope) taught in high school.

10+ Year Old Account
    only for Monster Hunter
    Looks like it's a 3DS for you then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lazymangaka View Post
    Looks like it's a 3DS for you then.
    i dont like the ds concept.

i dont like the ds concept.
    Then looks like you won't be playing Monster Hunter 4.

Anyway, the 3DS sales have risen a lot, so I could see the Vita doing fairly well. They just need to get some good games out, which was the reason for the 3DS' bad launch. I don't know too much about the Vita though.

Face it portables are being replaced by smart phones and tablets. Why would you pay $200 for something that has a smaller screen and is less capable? If I was to buy a Sony portable I would aim at the Sony tablet, at least then when I lose my damn remote I can use the tablet for it. :P
    I much prefer my 3DS to a phone or tablet. It's nice to have a gaming console I an play anywhere I want, and I'd rather hold the 3DS than a tablet all the time.
    Last edited by Duruka; 2012-02-20 at 05:14 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just because the DS sold more than the PSP that doesn't mean anything. The PSP has a great library of games and is up around 80 million units sold at this point. The Vita is selling much better than the PSP did at this time in its life as well.
    I had both a PSP and a DS at the same time and I owned about 3 times as many DS games over the course of it's lifetime then I did PSP games. The only thing the PS Vita currently has going for it is the FUTURE lineup of games, they only have a couple of decent games for launch but at the current price as well as the cost of memory cards, it's really hard to justify the purchase in the current world economy. I am unsure as to whether I will get one, I don't play my 3DS much and am really looking forward to Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater for it this weekend so I have something to play.

And yes, a system selling more units and games means it's better. The PSP had a horrid lineup compared to the DS. The last big game for the PSP came out well over a year ago and the Vita is just coming out this week. So the PSP was long dead before any confirmation was made that Sony was releasing a new system, however the lack of interest from 3rd parties really killed the PSP ultimately, and the only way they are going to sell more systems is with 3rd party games. Sony should have taken notes from Nintendo's book and seen how not to make a system, as the Gamecube was a horrible seller due to it's media format and lack of 3rd party games. UMD was a terrible format in the end and was one of the many failings of the PSP.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2012-02-20 at 09:40 PM.

Deleted
    Ports? lol your trying to hard to bash something you obviously know nothing about. So much so that you say you have seen them when one is not even announced and the other two have had no screens or gameplay released yet. CoD and Bioshock are confirmed to be completely NEW games, not just ports. Those games are AAA titles that will sell a system whether you want to believe it or not. Also expensive?.
    i think you took the "ports" comment waaaay out of context.. i said look like ports. They are going for the same style of gameplay as their AAA console titles, look similar but with slight differences.. Uncharted looks nice but its kind of a spin off / prequel, no online and about same length as uncharted 3. CoD vita is likely to be a spin off / port of the upcoming CoD game. Bioshock sells alright but its not a console seller and who knows where it will go or when it will be released. The problem i have is.. all these games offer slight differences to games ill be playing on a console so like i said will people care.

Also expensive? You know the prices already too do you? And whats even funnier is you call them ports of home console titles that are $60, then say they are expensive when they would be cheaper than the their console counterparts by at least $10. But since they are not ports and are completely new games, a $50 price tag is perfectly acceptable for a handheld game on par with a console.
    Actually im going on the price for uncharted:golden abyss which is selling for £39 / EUR 49, uncharted 3 £25 / EUR 32.75, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning £39.97 / EUR 56.90, resident evil revelations £29.97 / EUR 42.50 (based on uk and german amazon prices)

So its pretty much going for the same price as a recently released home console game.. and about £5-10 more expensive than AAA 3ds games which is what it should be competing with imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    Actually im going on the price for uncharted:golden abyss which is selling for £39 / EUR 49, uncharted 3 £25 / EUR 32.75, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning £39.97 / EUR 56.90, resident evil revelations £29.97 / EUR 42.50 (based on uk and german amazon prices)

So its pretty much going for the same price as a recently released home console game.. and about £5-10 more expensive than AAA 3ds games which is what it should be competing with imo.
    The pricing matter, more than any other single issue, is probably what will come to bite dedicated gaming systems in the ass. Smartphone/tablet games probably wouldn't be half as popular as they are if they cost $30 a pop. But for .$99 or even free in a lot of cases, everyone can afford to play. And $50 for a handheld game? Simply outrageous, even if it is a AAA title.