Maximizing Shadow DPS on 10 man HM blackhorn

Just finished our first few pulls of this fight tonight.

How are Priests using 4pc t13 on HM Blackhorn? I felt like my DPS was alright, but I was having a hard time setting up my 4pc with one of the first Drakes. I was moving over to the left side drake and having the rest of the ranged on the right side. Usually we had to run across the ship to get twilight onslaught, and I couldn't get my 4pc rotation off completely and getting DOTs on the drake before it flies off. I didn't want to waste it on a the right drake that was going to just die really fast anyways. Just use it on a melee add to speed up the kill there?

Also I see a lot of videos with people only killing one drake, and the other one flies off. Is it ok to let just one drake fly off (with DOTs up, of course) and worry about killing at least one?

Any other shadow advice on this fight would be helpful.
    Last edited by Felade; 2012-02-18 at 09:53 AM.

Deleted
    No one is forcing you to use the MS/MB rotation just because you have 4 set. If it feels awkward, don't use it. I personally just DoT up everything and try to keep my DoTs up and weave in Mind Blasts and Mind Flays whenever I can. This is how I do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25OrsTugigE

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Felade View Post
    Also I see a lot of videos with people only killing one drake, and the other one flies off. Is it ok to let just one drake fly off (with DOTs up, of course) and worry about killing at least one?

Any other shadow advice on this fight would be helpful.
    I think what you should aim for is get both drakes killed before then next set of 2 drakes comes because the small twillight things will make the ship take a bunch more extra damage and the healing will be a lot harder.

I think what you should aim for is get both drakes killed before then next set of 2 drakes comes because the small twillight things will make the ship take a bunch more extra damage and the healing will be a lot harder.
    Any suggestions on how to accomplish this? Specifically, how to split up the ranged in order to accomplish this?

Deleted
    Any suggestions on how to accomplish this? Specifically, how to split up the ranged in order to accomplish this?
    Having a ranged heavy grp, pmuch only ranged with a rogue will make it quite easy just have them doted when they fly over and drops the adds, the rogue and tanks stands and cleaves one side drake while the ranged keeps dots on everything and focus killing the other.
    As long as you have dots on them its ok to let them fly away as long as the dots will kill them in the air.

We're probably going to go with a 2 melee setup because our Warrior and our Rogue are both awesome and our 2nd mage is..not as awesome, but I am 100% sure our ranged can kill one drake, and if the melee get set up right, if they can kill the other drake or at least get it low enough that DOTs will kill it, that'd be great.

Has anyone tried solo soaking a twilight onslaught with dispersion on this fight? I've seen some reports that this works, I haven't been able to try it yet.

Deleted
    Has anyone tried solo soaking a twilight onslaught with dispersion on this fight? I've seen some reports that this works, I haven't been able to try it yet.
    It can be done but due to the fact that it shares the damage with the ship and the amount of people standing in it, so it doing 1mill damage or roughly something like that with 10 players in there its 1mil/11 (the ship counts as one) and then every person and the ship takes the damage, if you are alone in there as a priest the ship will take 1/2 of the damage of the onslaught.
    So while its possible it should't be done.

Deleted
    twilight onslaught does 1.2 mio - if one person can survive it alone (dispersion, cauterize) the ships takes 600k but you have 9 people who can totally ignore the onslaught.
    if they manage to catch at least one twilight barrage the ship takes 400k less damage, so it is almost even but as said, only one person has to manage the onslaught which might sometimes spawn in an unconvinient place for tanks or melees.
    thats why we always ignore the 4th onslaught (raid cds getting ready for last phase).
    everyone else can concentrate on adds and especially the sapper that always spawns as the 4th onslaught hits.

Deleted
    Have the whole raid soak the damage on the big pools, and use a raid cooldown for each one. The damage really isn't too bad. The little pools are the killer on 10man really, it's far too easy to lose a person on them.

We generally soak all of the small pools at the 'melee' end of the ship (tanks can take them alone np) and soak most in the middle, the back end of the ship we just ignore, it's far too much running around.

As far as dps is concerned, dot the drakes as they fly over (you can do this for all 3 waves), then dot the 2 melee adds, then the drakes should be coming down, switch to one and do your normal rotation on it until it dies, then switch to the other.

The drakes dying are everything on this fight really. As soon as the drakes die you get no more small circles spawn, and the gnomes will appear and start to put the fire out (they can not spawn with drakes up).

On the third wave of drakes we kill one of them, get the other to about 30% health, kill the melee adds then kill the drake when it comes back. This is just to make sure nothing is alive during the transition, the boss hits your tanks for stupid numbers so you really don't want any adds alive during P2.

As for maximizing 4pc, I've found that my shadowfiend doesn't really like hitting the drakes, hunter's pet is having issues too.
    I set shadowfiend on one of the melee adds and then MS/MB the 2nd drake set (First drake is already low health by the time it "lands")
    Then our group uses hero for 3rd so not needed there.

Then use MS/MB again on Blackthorn (Or the dragon if fiend/AA match back up by then for you).

Haven't killed it yet, getting really close in P2, but people keep standing in shockwave
    Last edited by UunaPriest; 2012-02-19 at 05:52 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have been meaning to upload our first warmaster kill (Shadow PoV) - so I'll go render that and post it up for you Then if you have anything you don't understand you can ask - the keys are getting dots up during their fly-bys to drop off vrykul, and and ya - just more dots all the time on everything (particularly VT).

My group does 9 person (sometimes 8 if someone has too many shadow lance debuffs) soaks for the first 3 Onslaughts, then I solo the 4th, and our fire mage solos the 5th (with cauterize/iceblock).

Edit: Video's up! Doesn't have my voice in it because I didn't have fraps set up properly back then, but you can see how the fight works. I also tuned down the thunder and sword clash sounds in future videos, but it's still super loud back then. The thunder indicates when I have at least one shadow orb (accompanied by the hot pink fire in the top right), and the sword clash indicates my target is in execute range (accompanied by the hot pink flaming skull in the top left).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4KSdRk9PD0
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2012-02-19 at 07:33 PM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter