Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

First time shaver - Rotary or Foil? Braun, Remington, Philips or Panasonic?

So I probably should start shaving now. I have a tad bit of fuzz on my chinny chin chin.

I am, however, a complete noob when it comes to shaving. All I know is that I want something electrical but I have no clue as to what. In any case, here is a short list of the features I require in my machine and my personal characteristics if that helps.

1.) I have barely any facial hair. Just a little fuzz on the chin and above the lip.
    2.) I have sensitive skin.
    3.) I want something electrical.
    4.) Something that can be used in the shower.
    5.) Something that can be used with gel or cream. (if possible)

Also which one is best?

-Braun
    -Remington
    -Philips
    -Panasonic

So there you have it! Help a noob out, all you shaving pros. What are your tips/experiences/recommendations?

Lets be manly!

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Something electric for in the shower? >.>

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lyradude View Post
    Something electric for in the shower? >.>
    Not shaving that much I guess?
    There are plenty of electric shavers fit for use in the shower.

OP, I'd recommend any of the higher end Philips electronic shavers any day of the week, really good quality and longevity.

if you are just starting just pick up some disposable bic razors.

you probably dont need shaving gel/cream yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

They do make waterproof electric razors. I'm not a fan of electric razors myself, but braun and remington are both pretty reputable.
    Really, if all you have is peach fuzz, you could probably get away with regular razors and one of the sensitive skin shaving cream/gels.

I used to use philips electric razor and liked that well enough that I purchased a second one, but I tried normal blades (or as normal as they get nowadays) and found I got a much closer, much more satisfying shave. So before you shell out the 80~ most good electric razors seem to run, I'd recommend picking up a gilette mach 3 and trying it out for a bit (brand I prefer, your mileage may vary). Depending on your skin, you may not even need shaving gel, as nearly all such razors have a pad that coats your skin and helps keep that burning sensation that can accompany blade shaving away. I just splash warm water on my face and take the razor straight to it. Just remember for the closest shave do one pass with the grain, one against.

Deleted
    I have http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Cool.../dp/B002BA5FBQ myself, and its fits what you need.
    Quote Originally Posted by gruyaka View Post
    1.) I have barely any facial hair. Just a little fuzz on the chin and above the lip.
    2.) I have sensitive skin.
    3.) I want something electrical.
    4.) Something that can be used in the shower.
    5.) Something that can be used with gel or cream. (if possible)
    I can highly recomend it, it is a really good shaver.

Get a Braun Cruzer 4 Z60, they're really great. I have one, it's electric and you can use it in the shower and it has lots of different shaving "options" and I have never got even the slightest cut or irritation on my skin and it's perfect if you're just starting to shave or only have very little facial hair.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never seen an electric give as good a shave as straight up gel/foam with normal razors. They also work perfectly in showers, with no charging or mucking about.

Deleted
    Gilette Fusion Mach Pro Stealth Version Eighteen With Integrated Stealth Stealth Power Fusion.

Deleted
    I can reccomend Philips too. Easy to use, easy to clean and serves long.

Deleted
    i don´t care if it´s the off topic forums or not, but asking this on a wow forum??? why not ask your dad, the one and most important role model when it comes to stuff like this?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilos View Post
    I have http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Cool.../dp/B002BA5FBQ myself, and its fits what you need.

I can highly recomend it, it is a really good shaver.
    This guy knows what he's talking about.
    Also for gods sake if the OP has a sensitive skin, DO NOT RECOMMEND BIC DISPOSABLE RAZORS.

---------- Post added 2012-02-18 at 12:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mofi View Post
    i don´t care if it´s the off topic forums or not, but asking this on a wow forum??? why not ask your dad, the one and most important role model when it comes to stuff like this?
    Cos everyone has one amirite?

Deleted
    DO. NOT. BUY. ANYTHING. WITH. CHANGEABLE. BLADES. (shit like this)

I used those for a good two years... and suddenly it just hit me like a brick; 3 blades cost around 20 euros and 1 blade lasts like 5-7 shaves. A product with built in planned obsolescence if there ever was one. They are also very irritating for your skin AND you also have to buy a shaving cream. Extremely expensive in the long run.

I currently use Philips QT4022/32 which I can wholeheartedly recommend. Shaving with that is easy, no need for cream and you can change the level of the blade by rotating a thingy in the shaft. This means you can cut your facial hair anywhere between 0.5-10mm. Very nice if you don't like shaving everything off and like leaving a couple of mms. Or you can just take it all off.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mofi View Post
    Thanks for that.

Ever thought that maybe some people don't actually have one? You don't have to rub it in....

I'll just go cry in a corner now. :'/

15+ Year Old Account
    I agree that high end Phillips rotaries are very good, I have had 2 (left my last one at a hotel) and my dad has always used them. I cannot compare them to other brands but I've never felt the need to.

Nothing gets as close a shave as a razor though, I use Gillette Fusion for when I want a close shave. Don't use disposables, they rip your hair out, and will probably give you a rash if you have sensitive skin. There are foams for sensitive skin but I don't know of their effectiveness. I have semi-sensitive skin and normal foam works good for me when using razor, and none at all for my rotary.

If you get an electric rotary make sure it is rechargeable (most are now) as I used to have one powered off AA batteries and after the power fades slightly you notice the drop in speed and it starts to snag.
    Last edited by xenaros; 2012-02-18 at 10:40 AM.
    The Allies would've definitely lost World War II if the Horde had taken part

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Primernova View Post
    I've never seen an electric give as good a shave as straight up gel/foam with normal razors. They also work perfectly in showers, with no charging or mucking about.
    While I would agree with you, I've noticed electric ones tend to not bother skin as much, and the OP stated he had sensitive skin.

Although, when the blades on an electric one get dull, it'll tear hear out, and generally give you a huge rash, be warned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    I find it quite disheartening that I got an erection just by reading "Cowboy boots".
    Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    The greatest generation is long dead? Last I checked, Miley Cyrus, Kanye West, Rebecca Black, and One Direction are all still kickin'...

A rotary irritates the skin less i have found, any of the brand names would give you a good product, I have had a phillips myself for the last 3 years, very good product.

If you think this is off-topic, you haven't been on these forums before.

Quote Originally Posted by Daerthe View Post
    DO. NOT. BUY. ANYTHING. WITH. CHANGEABLE. BLADES. (shit like this)

I used those for a good two years... and suddenly it just hit me like a brick; 3 blades cost around 20 euros and 1 blade lasts like 5-7 shaves. A product with built in planned obsolescence if there ever was one. They are also very irritating for your skin AND you also have to buy a shaving cream. Extremely expensive in the long run.
    I agree with this guy. I used the exact razors he linked in the pic and they'll burn a hole in your pocket right quick. And I have to shave maybe once every other week. >_O