GW2 Explorer Friendly?

Hey all. One of the things I enjoy the most in games is the ability to explore the world on my own terms. For example, one of the things I enjoyed in WoW back when I played it was that you could go to pretty much any zone you wanted to at any level. Say you start an Alliance human; you can go stroll into the burning steppes at level 10 if you want to check it out. Sure it's not wise, but you can find that out on your own. I dislike games on rails so to speak.

My question is, does anyone know if Guild Wars 2 will allow for minimally restricted exploration of the game world?

Nope no restriction at at all you can do whatever or go wherever you want right from the start.

Deleted
    After you finish with your tutorial area (different for every race and does not take a long time) you can travel where ever you want. its an open world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Solcor View Post
    After you finish with your tutorial area (different for every race and does not take a long time) you can travel where ever you want. its an open world.
    And from beta videos, the tutorial zone is 'ridiculously' short. Doesn't take more than 3-5 minutes to finish.

You also get rewarded for exploring. You can find something in the world that sparks an event and actually effects your fellow players. There is a system of cause and effect for your actions while exploring.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Thanks for the replies. The game looks really cool so far, I think I'm definately going to check it out.

The sidekicking system would certainly seem to suggest that you can go anywhere Your mate is level 80? No problem, Go to where he is, get sidekicked up and have some fun

yeah i think this world might be one of the largest and most beautifully rendered worlds that we will have seen for some time(Tera looks a little better but seems way less "deep"). I think you will have MORE than enough to keep yourself busy and it looks like there will be a few achievements out there for those with wanderlust.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's take this explorable aspect and go deeper, shall we?

As we all know, Rift was the staple of the DE system in action, albeit, their own version. Many before have said that GW2 copies this idea from Rift, this is not true. It's pretty impossible to say they did when their game has been in development for so long. GW2's general PvE content revolves around their version of the DE system, so it's safe to say it's been in the works since day one, which is about as long ago as Rift was in the works.

What are the differences then?
    Well, for starters, Rift's DE system isn't very reactive. Pretty much a portal opens randomly, in predictable locations, monsters come out, you kill them or they take over a small outpost. Not a whole town, not a whole city...mostly just outpost to outpost. This is more random, than dynamic, IMO. GW2 offers much more.

First off, you can spark DEs through your actions in the world. At one point you could help someone out, then he could tun into a demon and summon butt monkeys to attack the zone you're in. Yeah, you dun goofd. Now it's up to you and/or everyone else to stop this butt monkey invasion. In most cases (assuming) you don't just kill the bad guys and it's over. You have to do other things as well, such as rebuild a town, help townsfolk evacuate, and so on. Fail and you have to go to the butt monkey stronhold and kick them in the butts, which will be a lot harder than succeeding to step them in the first place. Basically this means there are multiple stopping points which will have different outcomes.

This will effect your "explorability" in extreme ways, because even if you think you've been there and done that...you haven't. I hope this helps you out some. I suck at explaining things so your best option is to do a little research of your own about GW2's DE system.

Deleted
    I'm not sure if this works when you're low level but if you're high level and you go to a low level area you will be kicked down to the level the area is made for so you won't one shot everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    I'm not sure if this works when you're low level but if you're high level and you go to a low level area you will be kicked down to the level the area is made for so you won't one shot everything.
    Yup, that's correct.

I *think* I read somewhere that exploring is encourage as the longer enemies are left alive, the stronger they become and better loot drops from there. Don't know where I read that..

"As we all know, Rift was the staple of the DE system in action, albeit, their own version. Many before have said that GW2 copies this idea from Rift, this is not true. It's pretty impossible to say they did when their game has been in development for so long. GW2's general PvE content revolves around their version of the DE system, so it's safe to say it's been in the works since day one, which is about as long ago as Rift was in the works."

Warhammer did it first and better just no one ever did it at end game.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    Yeah, the question is does it work the otherway around? Since from sidekicking upwards we only know about WvWvW zones will kick you up to 80. Do you get kicked up if you group with higher level or if you go to the higher level zone?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    Yeah, the question is does it work the otherway around? Since from sidekicking upwards we only know about WvWvW zones will kick you up to 80. Do you get kicked up if you group with higher level or if you go to the higher level zone?
    You only get sidekicked up if you are in a group with someone that is higher level. And that is only if you are in a zone or dungeon that is higher level than you could go in before. You will not automatically be sidekicked up in open world zones by yourself, so be careful going to zones you aren't the right level for. You will get your face smashed. Not sure how dungeons will work, I guess if you are in a group where everyone is too low level you would just not be able to zone it at all.