Thread: Sgra

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Because I always roll a female (I enjoy more how they look, how they use skills/attack, you know, adore females as a heterosexual man plus the trolling aspect - haha you got owned by a cute little girl) and getting down with male companion feels so wrong. Now getting down with female companion - that's hot.

Official statement
    Due to the design constraints of a fully voiced MMO of this scale and size, many choices had to be made as to the launch and post-launch feature set. Same gender romances with companion characters in Star Wars: The Old Republic will be a post-launch feature. Because The Old Republic is an MMO, the game will live on through content expansions which allow us to include content and features that could not be included at launch, including the addition of more companion characters who will have additional romance options.
    Same sex romance options weren't important enough for launch, but heterosexual ones were. Now, we know this entire line is a bunch of bull, but their bullshit is that we just weren't important enough for consideration.
    Divine, Unmarred and Electrified
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Demaio/simple
    Retired(ish)

Quote Originally Posted by DemaioJ View Post
    Official statement

Same sex romance options weren't important enough for launch, but heterosexual ones were. Now, we know this entire line is a bunch of bull, but their bullshit is that we just weren't important enough for consideration.
    That's not the same as saying "we didn't think gay people were important enough" Your stretching the statement a bit far. All they said was they had written romances already and it would take additional time to implement further romance options. I mean I could get offended that that statement doesn't include my wish to tap sweet Jawa ass but I don't take it as what they meant.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Official statement

I can understand how you might feel dejected by them not including the romance options for launch and maybe it would have been better to have all romance options disabled until same sex was implemented but there is a lot of work that goes into writing and implementing same sex romance options. While the game was in development for quite a bit of time we don't know how that time was allocated and although you feel same sex romance is a high priority the developer team may not have. That doesn't mean you aren't a priority it just simply means they bank on this game being around for years not days and they obviously want to do this properly and if they feel that putting it off until they could focus their effort on it then be happy and understand that they are working to cater to all people.

The point is that it's not the same priority. Besides which, it's a moot point. I know for a fact that they made a decision not to include same sex romance options because they didn't want to risk controversy on a AAA title.
    Retired(ish)

from what I've seen it's actually few actual homosexual people. I could understand this more if it was .... but

it's mostly males who have some weird phobia about making a male character yet still want to get with female characters. why are males so paranoid about playing a male character? your character is supposed to be you? are you ashamed of being a guy?

I'm sorry but "I don't want to look a male ass" is the stupid reason ever. you people actually stare at your characters ass? really?

if you are a man that wants to get with a woman then be a male character. the story shouldn't have to change because "lesbians are cool".

if they do put in eventual same gender romance, don't change existing characters. existing characters just changing sexual preference doesn't work right and no Anders (DA2) treatment.

this is mostly just more double standards of society "I don't want to get with a guy even though I'm a guy and playing female chars, gay isn't cool", but lesbians are totally super cool!

The point is that it's not the same priority. Besides which, it's a moot point. I know for a fact that they made a decision not to include same sex romance options because they didn't want to risk controversy on a AAA title.
    Why not? They've done it for A titles in the past. Dude I got gay with anders in Da2 and it was the easiest thing in the universe to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrachara View Post
    Well for one, they've put in heterosexual relationships, so the decision to NOT put in homosexual ones is nothing but homophobic. You can preach "devs didn't have the time" all you want, that's bullshit and you know it.

Second, BioWare is one of the chief pioneers in this. They've had homosexual relationships in their games (where applicable) for ages now and have been very proud of that. A BioWare dev even went ahead and tore a customer a new one publicly for complaining about them - but when a massively risky project comes along, they don't even add a single one? That's nothing short of a cop out. They wanted to launch the game as safe because it's 13+ and the fact they're adding it at a latter point doesn't even excuse them, it just shows they are feeding the bottom line - first launching safe to get the homophobes, then adding the feature later to silence the outcry of the disappointed fans.
    The only Bioware game that I am aware of that implemented homosexual relationships was in Dragon Age 1 & 2. They may have when they were an older company, but to me in Dragon Age 2 they did such an abysmal job of creating 'interesting' characters that also happened to be romance-able with the same sex, that it just cheapened them. Zevran in DA1 was a decent example of being a somewhat interesting character who also happened to be bisexual, as he was once a male whore. Conversely, in Dragon Age 2, Anders was a writing train wreck and Fenris was a typical anime emo... elf, devoid of any really interesting story other than 'my master diddled me one too many times'. When I say either of their names, what do you think of when you play as Male Hawke? For me:

Anders- Completely illogical terrorist who blatantly comes on to you the moment you show any signs of friendliness towards him.
    Fenris- That one male guy you could romance as male Hawke if you wanted to.

Bioware would like to pride itself in being more open to the LGBT community, and admittedly, they are compared to most other companies and franchises (Gears of War, am I right fellas?). But wanting to have a new character made for the player simply for the sake of their being homosexual is sadly... I am not sure how to put it, but I would say backward, as it undermines the cause of the LGBT community which is to be treated just like anyone else. They have to be an interesting character to be of any emotional connection, they have to have a compelling story that makes them feel like they belong, they have to not be one of the millions of homosexual stereotypes, and as soon as Bioware can do that without it's cynical writing of such characters, then the fact that these characters just happen to be homosexual won't be an issue.

I started out with an idea and it devolved into ramblings. Eh.

EDIT: I would also hope that these coming additions to your crew will also be romanced by the opposite sex as well.
    Last edited by NoiseTank13; 2012-02-19 at 12:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    The only Bioware game that I am aware of that implemented homosexual relationships was in Dragon Age 1 & 2. They may have when they were an older company, but to me in Dragon Age 2 they did such an abysmal job of creating 'interesting' characters that also happened to be romance-able with the same sex, that it just cheapened them. Zevran in DA1 was a decent example of being a somewhat interesting character who also happened to be bisexual, as he was once a male whore. Conversely, in Dragon Age 2, Anders was a writing train wreck and Fenris was a typical anime emo... elf, devoid of any really interesting story other than 'my master diddled me one too many times'. When I say either of their names, what do you think of when you play as Male Hawke? For me:

Anders- Completely illogical terrorist who blatantly comes on to you the moment you show any signs of friendliness towards him.
    Fenris- That one male guy you could romance as male Hawke if you wanted to.

Bioware would like to pride itself in being more open to the LGBT community, and admittedly, they are compared to most other companies and franchises (Gears of War, am I right fellas?). But wanting to have a new character made for the player simply for the sake of their being homosexual is sadly... I am not sure how to put it, but I would say backward, as it undermines the cause of the LGBT community which is to be treated just like anyone else. They have to be an interesting character to be of any emotional connection, they have to have a compelling story that makes them feel like they belong, they have to not be one of the millions of homosexual stereotypes, and as soon as Bioware can do that without it's cynical writing of such characters, then the fact that these characters just happen to be homosexual won't be an issue.

I started out with an idea and it devolved into ramblings. Eh.

EDIT: I would also hope that these coming additions to your crew will also be romanced by the opposite sex as well.

Techinically she was a-sexual but iirc you could romance liara in mass effect as female shep. She's female enough that at the time I remember it was lesbian enough to cause a controversy with some.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyIommi View Post
    Techinically she was a-sexual but iirc you could romance liara in mass effect as female shep. She's female enough that at the time I remember it was lesbian enough to cause a controversy with some.
    Fair point, though I always understand the controversy as showing her blue ass in the 'sex' scene, more than the homosexual aspect itself. I remember some news station had a pastor on and he was like 'who gives a shit? you people i swear' and I grinned.

Still bit of a bland personality but I heard the comics and other 3rd party products expand on it.

Fair point, though I always understand the controversy as showing her blue ass in the 'sex' scene, more than the homosexual aspect itself. I remember some news station had a pastor on and he was like 'who gives a shit? you people i swear' and I grinned.

Still bit of a bland personality but I heard the comics and other 3rd party products expand on it.
    I also seem to recall it being banned in some forum country, singapore I think because of its potential lesbianism.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/11/14/ma...lesbian-scene/

Yes well foreign countries are lovely in that regard.

I'm sure Coca-cola is banned somewhere.

Yes well foreign countries are lovely in that regard.

I'm sure Coca-cola is banned somewhere.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009...ro-hugo-chavez

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyIommi View Post
    Same Gender Romances. I do not get why people have such a craze for it. I'm not homophobic by any means but if you go read the dev q and a threads it seems like theirs a massive amount of concern over this. I don't for the life of me understand why though. On the surface it seems like such a minor addition. You really want the dev's to focus time and resource on an E lesbian relationship with your NPC companion? Can anyone make sense of this?
    It takes very little time or effort for them to do. They'd need to redo a handful of voicing lines for each character, and it would be a boost for business. Frankly, given the straight options for some classes (Female Agent = Vector or bust, ffs, NO), I think it'd help for everyone, not just gay gamers. (PS I'm straight, male, married, and kind of old, so don't assume stupid things just because I think gays should have in-game romances too.)

You are REALLY going out on a limb here. Seriously, controversy? BioWare is a pioneer in same sex relationships. I know for a fact if I couldn't sex up a companion in SWTOR, I wouldn't be as pissed off as you. You really need to calm down if you think them not including the relationships initially was a "cop out" or a "risk of controversy"

Fact of the matter is, they are including them. They didn't deny you the chance to flirt with another man, just as much as they didn't deny me the chance to flirt with SCORPIO, as deranged and slightly bizarre as that is. People like yourself are why I have no sympathies for the LGBT community; they blow everything about their many sexualities into a huge stereotypical fit each and every time they aren't included.

Case and point, there are very few games with African American heroes, or hell, insert-minority-here. Do you see those communities flipping out and ranting and raving every time a white hero is portrayed?

Quote Originally Posted by tj119 View Post
    They're too busy crying "RACIST!" every time a black man breaks the law.
    I like the cut of your jib.
    Last edited by A Challenger!; 2012-02-19 at 03:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why does it bother you enough to make a thread about it? You say you're not homophobic, then why do you give a shit? Let them have what is equally fair to them.

---------- Post added 2012-02-19 at 03:15 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by A Challenger! View Post
    Case and point, there are very few games with African American heroes, or hell, insert-minority-here. Do you see those communities flipping out and ranting and raving every time a white hero is portrayed?
    They're too busy crying "RACIST!" every time a black man breaks the law.

You are REALLY going out on a limb here. Seriously, controversy? BioWare is a pioneer in same sex relationships. I know for a fact if I couldn't sex up a companion in SWTOR, I wouldn't be as pissed off as you. You really need to calm down if you think them not including the relationships initially was a "cop out" or a "risk of controversy"
    This isn't going out on a limb. I had this confirmed privately from a BW employee.

Fact of the matter is, they are including them. They didn't deny you the chance to flirt with another man, just as much as they didn't deny me the chance to flirt with SCORPIO, as deranged and slightly bizarre as that is. People like yourself are why I have no sympathies for the LGBT community; they blow everything about their many sexualities into a huge stereotypical fit each and every time they aren't included.
    Yup, every time I'm excluded based on my sexuality I get upset.
    Retired(ish)

This isn't going out on a limb. I had this confirmed privately from a BW employee.

Yup, every time I'm excluded based on my sexuality I get upset.
    To the bolded, I just had confirmed via that very same BioWare employee that you are wrong.

As for the second ludicrous statement, when a game doesn't include any relationships at all, I don't get pissed and cause a ruckus that I cannot bang some girl pixelated girl. The same goes for when a game DOES allow that option; I never take it. Do you want to know why? It is because my sexuality doesn't encompass my life. I'll play a game and enjoy it for what it is, NOT because I can screw/flirt with everything that walks and talks.

Who I am when it comes to "private matters" is personal, and in no way makes me me. There is no reason your sexuality should affect this much how you enjoy a damn game. Even more so, when they said these relationships are being added in the next big content patch. You got what you wanted; does this mean I get to complain that same sex relationships are invading my game, just like you are that opposite sex relationships are?

This whole argument is just plain sad and unnecessary.
    Last edited by A Challenger!; 2012-02-19 at 07:06 AM.

... *Shakes head.*

well, i'm kinda glad so many people are raging over it. if we've learned one thing from blizz, rage enough and you get things changed.