Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Could the USA have another Civil War? The people VS the Goverment

Could the people have a chance against the army, or do they have to much technology?

I highly doubt in a western world it would come to that
    "Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable."
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

General George S Patton

10+ Year Old Account
    society in the U.S. has become too complacent to take up arms in revolt, they've become accustomed to bitching to get their way, yet even so, never get any results out of their own government.

Plus, they should have been complaining that 50% of their taxes pretty much end up in the defense budget, giving the Army shinier guns should things get troublesome.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

10+ Year Old Account
    This is all hypothetical. I just want to know that if it came to that, could the people win or even have a chance,

---------- Post added 2012-02-18 at 11:09 PM ----------

The sad thing is, if that ever happened, the government could freeze everyone's bank accounts.

Lord knows that some days I wish the people would revolt, but on topic I'd say no. The US people will not because they know how much the United States Military would kick our asses. If it came down to me picking up a gun and going after our government I would pass just on the simple fact that I know that the people would stand no chance in Hell.

well if he are speaking hypothetical then no... The US Defense force is the most well equipped army and for lets say for agurments sakes... the farmers took up arms... they dont have a airforce... and look at world war II it was the Air Power that won it for the allies
    "Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable."
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

General George S Patton

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    This is all hypothetical. I just want to know that if it came to that, could the people win or even have a chance,

The sad thing is, if that ever happened, the government could freeze everyone's bank accounts.
    There are too many what-ifs. Are people in the military/police force allowed to join in the revolt, or are they bound by their commander in chief? Hell, one rogue Air Force pilot can do a shit-ton of damage against the political establishment in D.C.

Hypothetically? Yes, the government could be overthrown.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe the UN would come to out aid, but that could be suicide for them.

10+ Year Old Account

Not Necessarily, the Government doesn't have 100% authority over banks, they are individual corporations for the most part. However, the IMF could shut down their services to banks who don't close.

Still, I would say not very likely, business pretty much runs the country nowadays, and any form of revolution would be bad for them.

In that type of scenario, I could see businesses giving the government a "bailout" of sorts to prevent the revolution from succeeding. That is, if the Military needed more resources than it already does... >_>
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

10+ Year Old Account
    no, they can't. if it did come to a direct confrontation (america's denizens vs. army) hands down itll be the army, unless the soldiers REALLY hated the government and couldnt fight for them. but its more likely that the government would shut down any uprising by "removing" the leaders and formers before it gets out of control. ya know, terrorism and all.

martial law would go down before any kind of civil war, rebels would be branded terrorists and wiped out. the people have no power and give up at the first sign of pepper spray.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could the people have a chance against the army, or do they have to much technology?
    Such a war would be WWIV, due to how it'll affect the rest of the world.

Such a war will have other nations picking sides (much like in our Revolution/Civil War [War between the States]), so it wouldn't just be cavemen against a tech 2 entity.

If it was a North vs South war (probably over the same issues like States rights and tariffs), the UK probably would side with the South (due to a heck of a lot of Irish/Scottish descendents here who'd plead for help), for example.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    society in the U.S. has become too complacent to take up arms in revolt, they've become accustomed to bitching to get their way, yet even so, never get any results out of their own government.

Plus, they should have been complaining that 50% of their taxes pretty much end up in the defense budget, giving the Army shinier guns should things get troublesome.
    It's more like a third of our taxes go to the military. Though that is only 20% of the federal budget. The US government borrows over 40 cents of ever dollar it spends, and that is what people should be getting worked up about. Besides, national defense is one of the few things the federal government does that it is actually constitutionally mandated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:U...._-_FY_2007.png
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:U...._-_FY_2010.svg

If, God forbid, it did come to a real civil war, it would depend on how many military men remembered that they're sworn to preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution, not whatever politicians happen to be in power at the time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    Such a war would be WWIV, due to how it'll affect the rest of the world.

Such a war will have other nations picking sides (much like in our Revolution/Civil War [War between the States]), so it wouldn't just be cavemen against a tech 2 entity.

If it was a North vs South war (probably over the same issues like States rights and tariffs), the UK probably would side with the South (due to a heck of a lot of Irish/Scottish descendents here who'd plead for help), for example.
    You say the UK... Ireland isnt part of the UK.. only northern ireland and theres hardly any catholics luld

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtree View Post
    It's more like a third of our taxes go to the military. Though that is only 20% of the federal budget. The US government borrows over 40 cents of ever dollar it spends, and that is what people should be getting worked up about. Besides, national defense is one of the few things the federal government does that it is actually constitutionally mandated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:U...._-_FY_2007.png
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:U...._-_FY_2010.svg

If, God forbid, it did come to a real civil war, it would depend on how many military men remembered that they're sworn to preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution, not whatever politicians happen to be in power at the time.
    We can only pray that they can tell the difference between the constitution and congress's power over it if we wanted to start a revolution.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have to think not all the military will side with the government.

So yes I would think both sides would have a chance at winning a civil war.
    People in the military aren't mindless drones.

Hypothetical? Well hypothetically I could wake up tomorrow and aliens who look like Troll dolls could be rounding up my neighborhood to take to food processing centers. But it isn't going to happen. It is also more likely than the situation you're describing.

A more interesting question is if the States ever held a Constiutional convention to circumvent congress and replace existing institutions wholesale, if the elected officials in congress would play along, especially if their state is not one of the supermajority that ratified it. It's also perfectly legal and within the Constitution (not to mention consistent with the Declaration of Independence, which although not a legal document, is advisory in a sense).

10+ Year Old Account
    If it got to the point where the government and it's citizens were in a violent conflict, I would bet that the rest of the world would side with the citizens. That, or the government would win and the rest of the world would sit back because, at least from what I've seen on these boards, a lot of the world hates us and would rather see us die.

Hey, prove me wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    The "people" have the gangs on their side.... But the army have flamethrowers. I think the people would be SoL and JWF.

George Carlin - Civil War
    George Carlin - Flamethrowers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celtix View Post
    You say the UK... Ireland isnt part of the UK.. only northern ireland and theres hardly any catholics luld
    The Irish in the South are mostly protestant...

From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."