Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    Looks like I have to conduct class due to the product of the failed education system today. -_-

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...ar_4-intro.htm
    wow thanks for linking a website that has no credibility what so ever, on the front page it has a timer counting down to when they have predicted america will attack iran... not only that but they have an article called

"where to go when the infection breaks out"

so thanks for that illuminati tin foil nonsense,
    what kind of idiot thinks there can be a world war 4 before a world war three..... i mean some people, its actually painful that i have to explain that

Quote Originally Posted by FearXI View Post
    You have to think not all the military will side with the government.

So yes I would think both sides would have a chance at winning a civil war.
    People in the military aren't mindless drones.
    And that is exactly what happened in our last civil war. The North asked the southern generals if they would kindly remain loyal and mostly they sided with their homelands/people. Push comes to shove and it's defend the home over the country. Since a revolt would likely be regional you could expect similar schisms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Could the people have a chance against the army, or do they have to much technology?
    Depends on how much of the army will fight for rebellions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealessence View Post
    Lets do it but the whole north vrs south thing is old, lets to tall vrs short. I hate short people.
    We can do the Western session thing next...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascadi...dence_movement
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like I have to conduct class due to the product of the failed education system today. -_-

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...ar_4-intro.htm
    I wasn't aware that the Cold War was considered WW3.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    The problem here is that you're all assuming that the military is completely composed of robots who don't care about America. Which frankly, is stupid.

If the people revolt then the military will too, because (here's the kicker) the military is part of the people.

If the military doesn't rebel, then the rebels don't deserve to win.
    That's what I'm thinking. Soldiers have families that they care about, and if it came down to it, they would probably pick their family over their government.

why would a civil war even happen? we have elections why not simply vote at local level i.e. legislature, senator, mayor etc. We have this current disfunction because elections at local level is not publicized by the media. Since, presidential election is more publicized, we think president have all the power, while the senators and legislatures go unaccountable.

Could the people have a chance against the army, or do they have to much technology?
    I believe that would be a revolutionary war, not civil. And no, I don't think the general public has much of a chance against the military. However I also don't think the bulk of our military would forcefully "put-down" any civilian up-rising. I just can't see our military firing on civilians who might well be their own friends and family. Let's face it, a lot of our military doesn't even like the Government they "work" for.

It's not like people just decide one day "let's have a civil war guys". No sir, it happens gradually. Usually with uprisings, demonstrations and civil unrest due to unfair treatment, poverty, corruption or a mix. If the protests don't calm down, the government may choose to use the military to scatter and arrest the protesters. From there it is "a shot away" from escalating to something really ugly. Someone takes a pot shot at the police. Police shoots back and murders or injures several protesters. Or maybe a green soldier or police officer shoots a couple children. At this stage, the anger is fueled back against the government, and violent riots occur. Gasoline bombs, weapons, city parts are burned down. Parts of the military now refuse orders, since they don't want to use arms against their own population. They take weapons, strategies and equipment with them, and join the protesters. A civil war just started.

Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    why would a civil war even happen? we have elections why not simply vote at local level i.e. legislature, senator, mayor etc. We have this current disfunction because elections at local level is not publicized by the media. Since, presidential election is more publicized, we think president have all the power, while the senators and legislatures go unaccountable.
    A big part of that problem is how the US elections have been setup now where they are easily stolen with no verifiable trail due to intentionally poor setup electronic voting system and bad oversight. Just look at the 2004 election, from some accounts Bush lost that election by over 300,000 vot.... OMG ANTRAX IN THE MAIL! ANTHRAX IN THE MAIL!!!!, whew glad that was over, what was I talking about.......... What? Some Florida state investigator looking into voter fraud ended up dead along with some other guys? Oh well, not on mainstream news so I don't care....
    Last edited by Fugus; 2012-02-19 at 05:32 AM.

Hmm #1 military in the world vs. the people. Its likely it would be a massive massacre.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by undercovergnome View Post
    wow thanks for linking a website that has no credibility what so ever
    Isn't it past your bedtime?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GlobalSecurity.org

It's peer is Jane's.

Please know your resources, first.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

In regards to this, you say we'd lose against our army when half the people in the army are on the same boat as us. Just cause they serve our country, doesn't mean they will serve them if it came to a civil war. They feel the same way we do, not everyone would agree with our eye on things, but they are against acta as well.

Considering that the vast majority of the military are regular people just like you and me, with families and problems, just like you and me. I wouldn't think for a minute that if there was a civil revolt, that the majority of the military personnel would side with the government. You have to remember that the first civil war had pretty equal military power because both sides had military personnel supporting them (with the confederates being made up of soldiers that turned traitor).

I would say that Uncle Sam would be largely screwed if there were ever another civil war.

The Irish in the South are mostly protestant...

*interesting video*
    Nice one,quite an interesting video/tune =) I assume by South you mean the American South aswell.
    It brings up a historical point that can be generally forgotten these days due to sectarianism and the likes. During that time in history Ireland wasnt entirely divided by religion and the various Independence movements at home where made up of Catholics and Protestants both.

Basically alot of Irish that emigrated to the USA where of all backgrounds,both religions and some went South and others North. As you kind of pointed out,these days you'd think all Irish Americans are catholic north-loving kennedy archetypes lol. So not true at that time in history,nor is it now^^

Having said that,i personally couldnt see the UK coming to the aid of the American South specifically,for the reasons given, during any type of new American Civil War..unless you get into some extreme hypothetical situtations^^

Realistically,we'd all be totally fucked if this happened anyways. Anyone who keeps up on current world politics could see the consequences of an America that is fighting itself. *Looking at you China/Iran/Russia and North Korea and and and...* lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    Actually with class warfare, it would be more like 90% attacking 10% which wouldn't even be a civil war, it would be more along the lines of a mob uprising, the government would step in on the behalf of the 10% before it got to that point more than likely. The only real civil war we would have would be people versus the government, even if the government was doing it trying to defend the people who bought them and corrupted the government.
    The idea of enough Americans congregating together to zergling rush a major military installation and taking it is ludicrous. I understand that this thread is hypothetical, but that's pure fantasy. We can't even get half the population to vote, so I'd say forming a large scale angry mob is totally off the table.

Quote Originally Posted by lazymangaka View Post
    The idea of enough Americans congregating together to zergling rush a major military installation and taking it is ludicrous. I understand that this thread is hypothetical, but that's pure fantasy. We can't even get half the population to vote, so I'd say forming a large scale angry mob is totally off the table.
    Never said a zerg rush, I said that they would win due to shear numbers, not even close to the same thing. And you quoted the wrong part of what you were responding too as what you quoted has no bearing on your response.

10+ Year Old Account
    Read Card's Empire.

That being said, yes, I do think it will come to that, perhaps in the next 15-20 years. It won't be "People vs Government". It will likely be Left vs Right. Just like our previous civil war.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

Dumb question, because IF there was a civil war, parts of the armed forces would be a part of both sides.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    Never said a zerg rush, I said that they would win due to shear numbers, not even close to the same thing.
    What sort of shear numbers? I cannot even begin to fathom something that would universally unite Americans to the extent that 100% of able-bodied adults would take up arms against the government. You'd be looking at, best case scenario, 10% of the adult population, and they would be spread out across the country. That's a whole lot, sure, but nothing that the combined might of law enforcement and military couldn't handle.

And you quoted the wrong part of what you were responding too as what you quoted has no bearing on your response.
    Whatevs, yo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rendia View Post
    Read Card's Empire.

That being said, yes, I do think it will come to that, perhaps in the next 15-20 years. It won't be "People vs Government". It will likely be Left vs Right. Just like our previous civil war.
    That will be interesting and I wonder how it would be portrayed in other countries as the United States actually has no left leaning parties. The Democrats are center to moderate right while the Republicans are moderate right to jihad extremist far right.