Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by cMan View Post
    Im fine for doing 5mans, they seem easy in comparison the idea of tanking a raid lol
    My main worry is messing up a stack swap or something
    You'll only learn the new things in raids like "tank swapping/taunt swapping" by doing them, they're super slow paced and predictable on normal mode and lfr DS, they're also easiest encounters this expac to learn them.
    I'd suggest using omen for a while to get used to being aware of your own threat along with the other tank's, it might not be required to hold threat but you have to learn to share the threat table while staying above all the dps, you can taunt for when you need agro but if the tank dies and you're second threat that can save a dps and maybe a wipe.

All the new mechanics you have to learn are simple, you just have to throw yourself in and try it once or twice. So what if you get kicked from an lfr, you can requeue and get more practice on the same fight. Before long they'll be second nature to you just like knowing where trash spawns and when you need to use more cds to help your random healer in 5mans.

Treat your big cds like they are sacred if you know you will need them for a one shot ability, none of that trigger happy stuff or hoping it will be back up in time. Keybinding them is a very important thing to do, I've known tanks that intentionally don't bind just their cds, they click them instead.

Your fellow tank in whichever group you have will 95% of the time be happy to help you, ask him any questions you have and tell him that you're new to tanking raids, he will likely be able to give you tips and will be the best one by far to evaluate your performance and tell you where you need to improve. If you hold threat and don't get one shot you are doing your job and shouldn't worry about getting kicked or being raged at.

Going in and dpsing an lfr if you haven't would also help, you'll get a feel for everything and make you aware of where dps would like things tanked.

run 5mans with your guildies/friends

easiest way to learn and gain confidence

Eh, honestly tanking a LFR (unless I had a fellow tanking buddy with me) is about the only thing in this game I think I'll never do, so I really can't blame you for not wanting to tank one yourself. People are very quick to blame and votekick tanks in LFR, even when they are doing a passable job and things are going well. But if you can tank a 5 man well enough, you are good enough to tank a raid, and in some ways raids are easier.

Quote Originally Posted by cMan View Post
    Im fine for doing 5mans, they seem easy in comparison the idea of tanking a raid lol
    My main worry is messing up a stack swap or something
    Personally, I find tanking raids more relaxing and easier to manage than 5 mans, or at least before the threat/vengeance buff. 5 mans I always panic and get annoyed when ppl keep pulling mobs off me from packs, though obviously that won't happen now.

Raid tanking is pretty easy. If you wipe because of you then shit happens, learn from it. I wiped us on blackhorn hc the other night because I wasn't paying attention to the other tank's sunder stacks before Goriona landed and so forgot to taunt. People make mistakes, but tanking is seriously easy. Just read up about when to pop what CD etc and you'll be fine.

Just jump in and you will learn how to swim ^^ Now I can participate in Olympic

if you install addons such as Deadly boss mods or big wigs the addons places a big fat warning on the screen thenever the debuff on the other tank reaches a certain stack or thenever the debuff is cast on the player(like fading light on ultraxion) so then for example void bolt on yor'sahj reaches 3 or 4 stacks it will show a big warning in the middle of the screen so that you know you should taunt off, aside from that tanking is really easy if you have the basic grasp of the mechanics of the fights.

Know your pain. As for myself I mostly lack of self confidence when I'm coming back to tanking after some break (and probably gear ilvl change). It's because of randoms group attitude. LFG people aren't forgiving and will bash you for everything, even if it was their fault. When I start such a dungeon I just spam pre-made macro with polite explanation that I'm a bit rusted so expect some issues.

Most cases people undestand and behave more cautious. Well, d-bags, "gogogo" rushers and elitist will complain no matter what but I try not to listen them as majority acts ok towards initial statement. Later - I just run through as my memory and skills are coming back.

But what had been mentioned - try guild runs. They are fantastic. Once with my Paladin, heavily undergeared I did progress raid in Blackwing Descent 10man. I was successful up to Chimaeron as a MT. And then were the times before Hour of Twilight and I still had survival issues in Cata HCs (ZA/ZG I just passed as I was dead every trash group). But BD with guild? Main Tank and we killed 4/6 and were through 5th boss.

Since then I don't raid as tank. I found that I feel myself better in 5mans. My Paladin atm outgears that content and probably he will stay benched as I'm now more interested in Warrior.

And a general rule (a kind of tip) I use. At first I'm afraid to queue as a Tank. I try to collect gear first, get familiar with rotation etc. But then I just say "ah, screw this" pop a queue as a tank and just tank. DBM helps a lot. So advice: if you are afraid - take a deep breath and jump in. In the worst scenario you will be kicked. And so what? LFR is cross server. Low chances that you will be grouped with them again and even lower that they will remember you.

So - go get 'em Champ.

Deleted
    And you're searching for moral support?Like someone forced you to tank...just LOL kid

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2012-02-21 at 09:35 PM.

Deleted
    I think you need to be more specific. Is it your rotation, positioning, boss tactics or another thing making you afraid? You could try making a checklist. Go through every category and check it when you've become confident.

Rotation: Read tooltips and be sure you know what every important part of your rotation does. Make sure you understand how they play with eachother (When you DS yoyou gain death runes, usable for more DS'es or heartstrikes or so

Movement/Positioning/Awareness: Two things to have in mind: How mobs usually react to movement, and how you can bend that to make your mobs be where you want. Make sure your always facing the mobs so you don't get hit from behind (I once turned my back towards Rag hc on our 200th (or something) pull. Never done it before, on Rag atleast. To add to that you have to know where your RL wants stuff to be, and place them according to that. Make sure you know the bosses abilities (Coming up) because some may give or take more or less convinient places to be.

Boss Tacs: Learn the boss, by watching movies or reading the dungeon journal. When you feel like you've learned the tactics to through every phase one by one. Try to remember each ability used in that phase. When you got it down go on to the next phase. Tanks kinda have to know about every aspect of the fight, atleast be aware of it. When you've done that make sure you check on how other raid groups handle those things, if your RL hasn't already told you. This will give you an idea of where to position yourself (and therefore the boss/adds).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexa View Post
    I just killed HC 10 man blackhorn a moment ago with my guild, as a pally tank, and can't say anything else. XD

Once you've understood the basics of tanking, once you have a solid gameplay and a good overview of the different fights, it is really easy. The harder to do is to manage your ressources (runes, rage, for dk/war/drood. Pally's mana is a joke)

Currently it is harder to be a decent dps than an decent tank. The hardest job is to heal. There's almost no skillcap with tanking, except using cd's and placing the mobs/bosses.

Just follow the basic rules and it will be good.
    Pala tanking lol. "Ok guys i have aggro; i'm just pushing my buttons to do some dps but really i could just AFK and let my CTC tank for me".

DK tanking is on different level entirely. You're responsibly for your own survivability.

Go to Google and search for "DK tank POV *insert boss name*" or something similar.

Seeing someone play your class, in the situation you want to be in will help greatly.

Also ensure that you do the fight as a DPS first. Bottom line, DPS do have the "assumed" easier job, and can learn aspects of the fight a lot easier (without one missed *blank* causing a wipe, in the majority of cases)

Deleted
    My armoury page is: Cmán of Ghostlands EU (cant post links yet :P)

Is gear all okay? Spec, Gems and Reforgery? (I haven't got the gold to get enchants just yet >.<)

10+ Year Old Account
    Tanking is my least favourite roll for sure, however I did find that it really wasn't that hard. 5-man's are basic and the LFR isn't that bad (I've only ever tanked LFR start to finish once though), it's more knowing the fights than anything else.

Whatever you do, don't say you are new to it or they will get a preconceived notion of you and boot you. The best thing to do is look up the fights (read about them and/or watch them on youtube) and go for it. You are the tank, you are in charge. Worst case scenario you get kicked. I found it best to set my focus on the other tank but DBM gives you warnings of when abilities are used that you should use your taunt.

And like the others said earlier, a nervous tank is likely a good tank.