Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellgaunt View Post
    Such a good start for the ranger discussion... and it even had a very weird but oddly cozy title.

Get back on topic already?

(No I won't be playing Ranger in GW2).
    No. This thread now has a purpose.

Deleted
    Yes I'll be playing a ranger since its my prefered playstyle, hunter main in wow too. And Im a 29 year old man!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    *rings Mif bell*
    I have to sleep sometime

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAD5H...ailpage#t=219s

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    That warrior got lucky
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    I'm a teenage girl, I just lie on the internet about being a big black guy.
    This is why I have a hunter in WoW (though I don't play her) and I have a ranger in GW1 and will eventually be making one in GW2 (4th alt, is my guess)..
    Can't hide from your heart!

---------- Post added 2012-02-19 at 10:18 AM ----------

In guild wars 2, MOBS kite YOU.
    Until I swap to my 2h sword and impale them in the face

Deleted
    I'm hoping like with how the warriors can be great at ranged' I'm hoping the ranger can be good at close range. Going to try with sword main hand and axe off hand. Please make it work!

10+ Year Old Account

First world problem

Anyone in the same boat as me?

Can't decide between:
    Ranger because I enjoy pet classes immensley and like swapping out pets depending on encounters.
    Mesmer because I really enjoy support/control roles and spellcasters in general.
    Necro because I enjoy life stealing so much it makes me question my sanity. If Necro's have a support element that would seal the deal.
    Elementalist becasue the idea of being able switch between fire/earth/water/air for different group roles makes me hard.

Only a few hours longer and I'll be able to get my hands on all the gritty details that will help me decide. Although I can already see myself just getting more torn between the above after hearing all about them.

Then again; with account wide acheivements and quick leveling to cap I might even be able to play them ALL!!! MWAHAHAHAHAH!

Help me....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rife View Post

Can't decide between:
    Ranger because I enjoy pet classes immensley and like swapping out pets depending on encounters.
    Mesmer because I really enjoy support/control roles and spellcasters in general.
    Necro because I enjoy life stealing so much it makes me question my sanity. If Necro's have a support element that would seal the deal.
    Elementalist becasue the idea of being able switch between fire/earth/water/air for different group roles makes me hard.

Only a few hours longer and I'll be able to get my hands on all the gritty details that will help me decide. Although I can already see myself just getting more torn between the above after hearing all about them.

Then again; with account wide acheivements and quick leveling to cap I might even be able to play them ALL!!! MWAHAHAHAHAH!

Help me....
    Yep i'm in that boat:

Ranger: I like playing ranged classes overall, not a big fan of pet classes but the gameplay vids i've seen make them out to be awesome at WvW!

Thief: I also love playing stealth classes but the variety of playstyles (DW pistol, DW dagger, DW sword/dagger, bow) you can choose with the thief even makes them more tempting.

Warrior: Again, all the gameplay vids i've seen of this class is just pure raw awesomesauce! Nothing says "GTFO of my way!" better than the warrior plays.

Elementalist Of all the fantasy MMOs i've played, a spellcaster was always my first main. Only thing that's stopping me right now is that I want to do something different.... but the spells just look to awesome to pass up
    Last edited by Razeo; 2012-02-20 at 02:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kinda wish rangers could use guns. I mean cmon, they deliberately refuse to use the superior weapon? :P Also, nice threads, should make one for warriors!
    Last edited by Loaf Lord; 2012-02-20 at 03:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think I could stand gun sounds.
    Bows is a good thing in my book. Makes me feel more natural and goes better with stealth imo.

I fear if I start watching Warrior gameplay I'll add them to the list and be even more indecisive. Bound to happen in a few hours though sigh.

The axes weapons appeal to me most for Rangers. Bows and Axes. Can't get much more badass.

Quote Originally Posted by Rife View Post

Can't decide between:

Help me....
    Yes. I'll edit this in a bit with my reasoning but the classes I can't decide are Ranger, Guardian, Warrior, or Elementalist.

---------- Post added 2012-02-20 at 04:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Kinda wish rangers could use guns. I mean cmon, they deliberately refuse to use the superior weapon? :P Also, nice threads, should make one for warriors!
    Superior? See you on the battlefield, my friend. Seriously though, no one weapon is better than another, they all have practical uses. You can't rain AOE hell down from the sky with a gun, can you?

15+ Year Old Account
    Title of thread should be "Teach me how to hunty teach me teach me how to hunty"

I'm really excited about the pets and so I'm hoping there's some more information coming soon about the taming process, as well as maybe any sort of rare species with special abilities that are stronger than more common pets. Also if any of you played around with the atra luna skill tool and saw the elite ability "summon all your pets at once" I thought that would be pretty awesome, just whistle and suddenly there's a stampede of all your tamed animals going blood crazy all over everyone haha!

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's a choice based on both principle and, partly, practicality. When I think of the "ranger" archetype I usually think of an outdoorsy survivalist who's in touch with nature on some level. The kind of self-reliant type who would prefer to trust in the mechanically simpler, easier-to-maintain bow over a gun (especially the types of guns in a setting at this particular tech level - we're not talking cutting edge modern day assault rifles here, even the "automatic" engineer turrets seem to be a sort of steampunk Gatling gun). Bows are lighter, quieter, and you can make roughshod replacement ammo on the fly while you're camped out in the wilderness. Can you see Legolas using a musket, even if such technology were available to him? Doesn't seem to fit, imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mkalafut View Post
    Y

[/COLOR]

Superior? See you on the battlefield, my friend. Seriously though, no one weapon is better than another, they all have practical uses. You can't rain AOE hell down from the sky with a gun, can you?
    lol, I didn't mean in game mechanics kind of way, I meant in a practical use. In reality you can't rain aoe hell with a bow either. :P

Deleted
    I won't be playing a ranger.

Don't like an animal following me around.
    I especially don't like it when that animal makes stupid decisions by itself and pulls a whole pack without my permission.
    If I want a friend, someone to rez me when I fall, or someone to enjoy my evenings I'll get my pals, and hunt charr meat.
    if I want some extra firepower in combat, I'll set down a turret.
    Cats and stuff are overrated.
    Why bother taking care of it, when it can die some day.

If I want to shoot stuff, I'll do it like a professional with my shotgun, or my pistol.
    If I want to reign hell on my enemies, why do it with wooden sticks, when I can do it with metal bullets.
    If I want to blast my foes, and leave nothing but their charred hides (pun intended) left behind I'll do it ... oh wait ranger cant do that anyway.
    Why bother with the ranger, when there's clearly a superior ranged profession?
    I was really tempted to be a ranger, until I learned about the engineer.

By the way, most, if not all, of ranger abilities from what I've seen, are projectiles, and many classes have defenses especially for projectile attacks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freehoof View Post
    I think it's a choice based on both principle and, partly, practicality. When I think of the "ranger" archetype I usually think of an outdoorsy survivalist who's in touch with nature on some level. The kind of self-reliant type who would prefer to trust in the mechanically simpler, easier-to-maintain bow over a gun (especially the types of guns in a setting at this particular tech level - we're not talking cutting edge modern day assault rifles here, even the "automatic" engineer turrets seem to be a sort of steampunk Gatling gun). Bows are lighter, quieter, and you can make roughshod replacement ammo on the fly while you're camped out in the wilderness. Can you see Legolas using a musket, even if such technology were available to him? Doesn't seem to fit, imo.
    You make a good point. But at the same time, I find it odd that an asura or charr, races known for their technological prowess, would settle for wood and string over iron and gunpowder. Then of course, not every member of a race has to be in sync with the modern technology of their time, much like an old man resents the computer in his house. :P

You make a good point. But at the same time, I find it odd that an asura or charr, races known for their technological prowess, would settle for wood and string over iron and gunpowder. Then of course, not every member of a race has to be in sync with the modern technology of their time, much like an old man resents the computer in his house. :P
    We should be able to have golem pets

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecstatic View Post
    I won't be playing a ranger.

Don't like an animal following me around.
    I especially don't like it when that animal makes stupid decisions by itself and pulls a whole pack without my permission.
    If I want a friend, someone to rez me when I fall, or someone to enjoy my evenings I'll get my pals, and hunt charr meat.
    if I want some extra firepower in combat, I'll set down a turret.
    Cats and stuff are overrated.
    Why bother taking care of it, when it can die some day.

If I want to shoot stuff, I'll do it like a professional with my shotgun, or my pistol.
    If I want to reign hell on my enemies, why do it with wooden sticks, when I can do it with metal bullets.
    If I want to blast my foes, and leave nothing but their charred hides (pun intended) left behind I'll do it ... oh wait ranger cant do that anyway.
    Why bother with the ranger, when there's clearly a superior ranged profession?
    I was really tempted to be a ranger, until I learned about the engineer.

By the way, most, if not all, of ranger abilities from what I've seen, are projectiles, and many classes have defenses especially for projectile attacks.
    Eh, rangers seem to have a magical aspect to them that gives them a boost, calling upon the spirits of nature and what not. Engies rely on nothing but tech.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think Ranger popularity will come down to how good the pet AI is and how unique and useful pets will actually be.

I very much enjoy running around silently killing mobs with my trusty tank pet.

Totally agree with Freehoof on the feel of Rangers/Bows etc. I see it exactly the same. It's one of the reasons I liked the removal of arrows in WoW because it meant I didnt have to rely on anyone/anything. Just me and my pet (Steve - undead boar from EPL. Had him for years on my Hunter).

The other big draw card for me on Rangers is the ability/usefulness of kiting. I lurrrvveee kiting.

Also, if good pet management makes a big impact on Ranger play I'd love the profession.

Deleted
    Eh, rangers seem to have a magical aspect to them that gives them a boost, calling upon the spirits of nature and what not. Engies rely on nothing but tech.
    So one has a magic aspect, other has tech aspect. What makes the ranger have that "boost"?

And for the sake of arguing about it,
    Wanna feel like a "rangy"?! Solution simple. Be a human, and have not one, but two, and not dogs, but hounds, bathed in fires and blessed by the most awesome god of humanity, with the Elite Skill, Hounds of Balthazar.

:>