Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Question Returning player!

    Hi chaps,

    An ex player looking to possibly return here. Kind of got tired of gw2 a very long time ago, got 2 legendaries on my main and just got a bit fed up with same old WvW every day.
    Main thing i'm looking to find out is have arena-net added any sort of "end game" yet? Or has there been confirmation they actually intend to?
    Second thing would be what are fractals I keep hearing about? Are they a passable form of endgame?

    Really appreciate any replies (that are not troll attempts!) ^_^

  2. #2
    The Lightbringer Karizee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Eternal Alchemy
    Posts
    3,894
    For WvW they added Seasons and a World Experience progression system. The highest ranked player recently surpassed 2000.

    Fractals added Mistlock Instabilities and an Agony infusion progression system as well as new Fractals.

    Still no traditional, instanced content for more than 5 players if that is what you are looking for although they did drop a raid boss in the open world.

    They also recently added a higher tier of gear but it is primarily acquired through crafting as drops are pretty rare.

    There's a two week cadence for content releases, although we are on a brief break until January 21st.
    Last edited by Karizee; 2014-01-07 at 05:34 AM.
    Who knows more of gods than I? Horse gods and fire gods, gods made of gold with gemstone eyes, gods carved of cedar wood, gods chiseled into mountains, gods of empty air... I know them all.
    ~Euron "Crow's Eye" Greyjoy

  3. #3
    Main thing i'm looking to find out is have arena-net added any sort of "end game" yet? Or has there been confirmation they actually intend to?
    Second thing would be what are fractals I keep hearing about? Are they a passable form of endgame?
    No, no, fractals are random mini dungeons run in sets of 3 and no.

    There will likely not be an 'endgame' in the Guild Wars franchise. It's not part of the series yet throughout 5 games in total.

    A big part of Guild Wars' appeal as a franchise is that it is not a bimodal, vertical progression driven play environment. It would be a big shift for Arena.net if they did add an endgame scheme to the franchise in both business model, game design and philosophy.

    Of course, Anet can add an endgame scheme to their games if so desired. So it's always possible to do. Just not very likely or at the least in the form comparable to 2nd era MMOs of the MMORPG subgenre.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2014-01-07 at 05:51 AM.

  4. #4
    Thanks for the replies
    I'm still on the fence about playing or not... I'm currently a semi-hardcore raider in WoW, but i'm just tired of it. I want something new, but if GW2 has no real endgame I can see myself getting bored once I run through all the dungeons and fractals. I suppose that might take a few weeks - better than nothing :P Might find something about the game I enjoy in that time.
    Cheers guys/girls.

  5. #5
    Pandaren Monk barackopala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Chile, Viña del Mar
    Posts
    1,884
    Then go WvW and get all the traits there?
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Thychiz View Post
    Thanks for the replies
    I'm still on the fence about playing or not... I'm currently a semi-hardcore raider in WoW, but i'm just tired of it. I want something new, but if GW2 has no real endgame I can see myself getting bored once I run through all the dungeons and fractals. I suppose that might take a few weeks - better than nothing :P Might find something about the game I enjoy in that time.
    Cheers guys/girls.
    It is likely that what you desire in an MMORPG is not what Guild Wars 2 offers. Or even attempts to appeal to the type of player you may be.

    However, GW as a series is heavily centered around casual play. As in pick-up & play, drop anytime. There are no mandatory grinds as part of the scheme of progression. The games are largely horizontal, skill based and free of recurring service charge(s).

    In essence and function, Guild Wars games are those which one buys once and plays forever at their leisure w/o any internal [gameplay] compulsion to do so. One simply plays GW games because they may feel like 'messing around' in the game doing PVP, killing some centaurs or hanging out in a city. For example.

    The franchise banks, literally, on the idea players will enjoy hanging around the game for it's own sake.

    "Why do you play Guild Wars?" "Just because." - is not inappropriate to the games as designed.

  7. #7
    The Lightbringer Karizee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Eternal Alchemy
    Posts
    3,894
    Yeah that's what I've been doing for 2500+ hours, Fencers. Killing some centaurs and hanging out in a city :/

    /allthefacepalms
    Who knows more of gods than I? Horse gods and fire gods, gods made of gold with gemstone eyes, gods carved of cedar wood, gods chiseled into mountains, gods of empty air... I know them all.
    ~Euron "Crow's Eye" Greyjoy

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Yeah that's what I've been doing for 2500+ hours, Fencers. Killing some centaurs and hanging out in a city :/

    /allthefacepalms
    Are you not though?

    The time you personally invest into the game is of no concern to the design.

  9. #9
    Can never kill too many charrcentaur!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Though I do miss Zhed

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

  10. #10
    yeah if you are looking for a raiding endgame similar to wow, which you seem to want, but with a different coat of paint then this probably isn't the best choice of games. Other games such as Rift, Swtor, even AoC have a decent raid endgame that might be more your style.

  11. #11
    The Lightbringer Karizee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Eternal Alchemy
    Posts
    3,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Are you not though?

    The time you personally invest into the game is of no concern to the design.
    C'mon Fencers. That's like saying WoW is about killing some boars and hanging out in a city. It's a ridiculous, meaningless statement.
    Who knows more of gods than I? Horse gods and fire gods, gods made of gold with gemstone eyes, gods carved of cedar wood, gods chiseled into mountains, gods of empty air... I know them all.
    ~Euron "Crow's Eye" Greyjoy

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    C'mon Fencers. That's like saying WoW is about killing some boars and hanging out in a city. It's a ridiculous, meaningless statement.
    WoW isn't that though. So why would I say such a thing about World of Warcraft?

    The design of many 2nd era MMOs, and 1st too, is based on very deliberate, compulsive systems to absorb time. Such as spending weeks in LGuk long after any personal enjoyment might be gained from the direct play experience. However, the design of EQ was such that regardless of how you might have felt toward the experience of grinding out your boots or whatever, the gameplay was such that there was only one compulsion to the play experience.

    None of the Guild Wars games are as such. One plays the Guild Wars for the simple sake of enjoying the games. None of the design or gameplay in the 5 Guild Wars games is meant to deliberately be played despite engagement.

    By game design, one plays as they feel in Guild Wars.

  13. #13
    What was missed there was, "doing PVP, killing some centaurs or hanging out in a city" was just a couple of examples of potential activities someone could do if they choose to. I don't think Fencers was saying those were the only things someone could do.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    What was missed there was, "doing PVP, killing some centaurs or hanging out in a city" was just a couple of examples of potential activities someone could do if they choose to. I don't think Fencers was saying those were the only things someone could do.
    Of course, Arlee. Just some examples. One could pursue JPs, craft or do various dungeons and so on.

    Doing a JP in GW2 is something one does because they'd simply like to do so. Where as getting datacrons in SWTOR, by contrast, is rather mandatory to the gameplay scheme. Et cetera.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Of course, Arlee. Just some examples. One could pursue JPs, craft or do various dungeons and so on.

    Doing a JP in GW2 is something one does because they'd simply like to do so. Where as getting datacrons in SWTOR, by contrast, is rather mandatory to the gameplay scheme. Et cetera.
    is it really mandatory to get the datacrons? I know you are just using it as a contrast but I'm not sure it was the best example. As an aside, the poor jumping in Swtor really hindered my enjoyment of searching for datacrons (which otherwise I thought was was pretty cool).

  16. #16
    Dreadlord Fishbait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    On a wild ride with Zebedee.
    Posts
    731
    Quote Originally Posted by Thychiz View Post
    Hi chaps,

    An ex player looking to possibly return here. Kind of got tired of gw2 a very long time ago, got 2 legendaries on my main and just got a bit fed up with same old WvW every day.
    Main thing i'm looking to find out is have arena-net added any sort of "end game" yet? Or has there been confirmation they actually intend to?
    Second thing would be what are fractals I keep hearing about? Are they a passable form of endgame?

    Really appreciate any replies (that are not troll attempts!) ^_^
    tbh if you got bored of gw2 before, I don`t think anything has been added since then that would keep you entertained.
    WvWs seasons just maintained/aided the zergs.
    New map coming soon™ for WvWs, but it`s mostly an overflow map.
    They added a higher tier of gear for those that enjoy (though gawd knows why...) grinding for higher spec gear, if you like that kind of stuff. (P.S. Only attainable via forced crafting, same as the weapons are).

    Erm, aside from that, nothing.

    If you want something new (of sorts) you could always try Guild Wars. There are still quite a few folk in game but you can also solo it all & imo the game is better.
    You have the added advantage that you can gain points in Hall of Monuments in Guild Wars that will earn you access to HoM in gw2.
    There you can get skins for gear/weapons & some mini pets that you can`t get anywhere else. Especially good if you play a Charr

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    is it really mandatory to get the datacrons? I know you are just using it as a contrast but I'm not sure it was the best example.
    Yea, it is mandatory. At least collecting those that benefit a spec's primary attribute. To maximize and budget gear with consideration to % scaling increases. One will only gain X amount of Y per gear tier, with the only means to cap out those attributes being external sources of attribute gain apart from X and Y.

    There is little in GW2 to force you do those JPs or explore around. You just do it because it's fun. Hopefully at least.

  18. #18
    I knew they gave stats, didn't realize it was mandatory for progression though. Anyway, I enjoyed searching for them but most of them you had to jump around to get to them and I hated jumping in that game.

    For me the JPs in GW2 are one of my favorite activities in the game. Some of them are really cool.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I knew they gave stats, didn't realize it was mandatory for progression though. Anyway, I enjoyed searching for them but most of them you had to jump around to get to them and I hated jumping in that game.
    It's not mandatory in the respect that you can't do the best content without getting them, but from the perspective of getting them does make it easier to get through the content Though we should try not to go to much off topic

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I knew they gave stats, didn't realize it was mandatory for progression though. Anyway, I enjoyed searching for them but most of them you had to jump around to get to them and I hated jumping in that game.

    For me the JPs in GW2 are one of my favorite activities in the game. Some of them are really cool.
    Well exactly.

    I hated the datacron crap in SWTOR- hated it! But I did them. In GW2, I just did the JPs at my own leisure.

    Or, if I got tired for doing dungeons or raids in Rift, I would just have to stop pursuing the goals of the gameplay. In GW2, I can do any dungeon or fractal as I please. Or not! And neither choice is a conflict of gameplay in player desire.

    That is a major philosophical difference in the franchise. One that I mentioned at in my first post here.

    Ironically, GW1 was more structured than the sequel. Though the games were rather free-wheeling after a certain breakpoint. It was simply that GW1 was more story bound than the sequel.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2014-01-07 at 07:58 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •