Question on Rapture

We had a raider switch mains to help with healing so we can progress with heroics. He has been gearing up his priest to do this (healing with a Holy pally and myself if when we need a 3rd healer).

He seems to be having mana problems as disc (this could be a gear thing since hes just gearing up, but what I've read most people say disc has no mana problems at all).

Anyways my question is this: can you still get multiple rapture procs ,at the same time, if the shields expire simultaneously? I.E. PW:S people before stomp and they all expire at the same time, does the priest get mana back as if 1 shield broke or for all the shields that broke?

Deleted
    Nope, you can only get one rapture per ICD - but I don't see how he can have mana problems he'd have to have very bad gear for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shampache View Post
    this could be a gear thing since hes just gearing up, but what I've read most people say disc has no mana problems at all
    nope. disc at some level of gear, with high amounts of intellect, doesnt need as much spirit as other healers need. but it doesnt mean disc has never-ending mana, it only means that disc gains more mana from intellect-related-mechanisms then from spirit regen.

one of important things (imo) for a discipline priest is to understand the connection between gear and tools this priest is using.

there are many ways of gearing a disc priest and those support different playstyles.
    some people prefer to have high spirit and play in a mana-heavy manner, other people prefere to have low spirit and higher output-stats and play in more mana-light manner.

it would be nice if you could give us armory of this priest and some logs from boss fights, we could investigate more where the mana problem comes from.

basic things coming to mind when hearing about disc mana issues - how much is he shielding? how much is he using flash heal compared to greater heal and penance? does he have mental agility talent?

Quote Originally Posted by Shampache View Post
    Anyways my question is this: can you still get multiple rapture procs ,at the same time, if the shields expire simultaneously? I.E. PW:S people before stomp and they all expire at the same time, does the priest get mana back as if 1 shield broke or for all the shields that broke?
    priest gets rapture back as if only 1 shield broke. multiple rapture proc has been removed in cata (or patch ust before cata?)

if your priest is new to rapture mechanics, its good to have an addon tracking raptures cd. i think "ingela's rapture" addon is being most recommended.
    Last edited by babylon; 2012-02-19 at 05:25 PM.

Thanks for the replys. Ill try and post some logs tomorrow when we raid, but here is his armory. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Ghodly/simple

10+ Year Old Account
    Burning Blade ftw...

OT: I have no idea. But at lower gear levels it's definitely possible for him to have mana problems on certain fights. When we were progressing on Madness, and then HM Mor'chok, our best healer, a disc, certainly went oom. That's not to say he wasn't good enough to heal through being oom, but you get my point.
    WoW : Burning Blade (H)
    90 Warlock, 90 Shaman, 96+ Mage, 90 Death Knight, 86 Warrior, 90 Hunter, 85 Rogue, 80 Paladin, 76 Priest, 70 Druid, 26 Monk

Deleted
    Ingela's rapture FTW

(no you can't proc multiple raptures at the same time, since LK)

The only way i can oom hard as disc, when utilizing rapture is when i'm spamming shields (Which i don't really do on anything but Blackhorn). Make sure he's not doing that on fights that don't need it.

Deleted
    Ah now to be fair any healer can go oom if they are not careful, its just Disc priests have a lot of abilities to get them self's out of those situations and people who have played as Disc for a while and have greater understanding of how the class works and how to best control our mana resources.

Disc's can burst away a good majority of their mana and within the space of a minute using only rapture to regen most of it back again but it all depends on how in control your group is on each encounter.

Looking over his spec to me it seams like he is making use of all the talents required to go into full spam mode be it either with shields or with aoe spells and that is most likely what he is doing if he is having mana issues, there are not many of us who can go all out with Prayer of healing and shields non stop and actually have mana left over for fights that last longer then 2 minutes, my mana all 149k unbuffed only lasts 1 minute of PoH spam that is without rapture or cooldowns.

Without seeing logs I can only guess but it is most likely that he is playing Disc like he would a Holy priest, I don't know about how the rest of you guys play but for me even on heroic 10 man morchok, yor'sahj, and ultraxion I have time to weave some raptures and get some downtime in between spamming the hell out of my mana pool well not as much downtime on Ultra but cooldowns should be enough for that fight since it's fairly short i.e if your mana lasts 6 minutes on normal with cooldowns left over then it should be roughly the same in heroic ( not killed him yet personally )
    Last edited by mmocb7bc0f26da; 2012-02-20 at 02:41 AM.

Deleted
    Disc is gear dependant, at low lvl's of gear disc has mana issues.
    But this became a non issue in FL tbh.

As some already said, u still need spirit.

For 10mans my sweet spot (didnt raid with a resto shaman (mana tide)) was ~2400 for a long time up till now when we got a main switch DK to Ele Shaman with resto offspec for HM's.

His spec and gear seems to be use for morchok HM ? pre shield stomps when he can mana wise.
    The foul and Jaws trinkets does help, perhaps once he gets a better trinket for Foul like WWH its even better mana wise.
    I still would go Haste/Crit as no mastery can beat a Crit Aegis bubble.

His spirit is fine perhaps some mastery to > either haste/crit would be my suggestion to give him.

If he has the chest from t12 he can make use of the extra mana regen from the 2 set bonus. Increasing intellect on items is always going to help on mana.

There is also some other things he should take advantage like :
    • using his fiend with power torrent/embroidery proc for example, his mana pool is increased so the amount of mana he gets will me more than using it without PT/embroidery (not to mention his fiend will do more damage). If he can use it with both, well thats even better ^^
    • He can also combine his fiend with hymn of hope, pop fiend shield and use hymn of hope. It will increase his mana pool by 15% for more mana from fiend. but also the hymn will benefit from BT and if he gets rapture proc during the mana pool increase even better.
    • Use AA off CD is also reasonable, you gain mana and your healing output is increased.
    • The scalpel that he won from looking at his armory is also probably a better item to use on some fights too depending on positioning and raid damage.

Imo just though increasing his ilvl is going to be the best thing for him, as he will gain a lot of intellect and it really going to help him with mana especially as a disc priest.

Off topic, I am wondering why he is using the tailor made boe leg enchant rather than the profession only (cheap) leg enchant. Unless the us armory is bugging ^^
    Last edited by Comfort; 2012-02-21 at 05:03 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Comfort View Post
    If he has the chest from t12 he can make use of the extra mana regen from the 2 set bonus. Increasing intellect on items is always going to help on mana.

There is also some other things he should take advantage like :
    • using his fiend with power torrent/embroidery proc for example, his mana pool is increased so the amount of mana he gets will me more than using it without PT/embroidery (not to mention his fiend will do more damage). If he can use it with both, well thats even better ^^
    • He can also combine his fiend with hymn of hope, pop fiend shield and use hymn of hope. It will increase his mana pool by 15% for more mana from fiend. but also the hymn will benefit from BT and if he gets rapture proc during the mana pool increase even better.
    • Use AA off CD is also reasonable, you gain mana and your healing output is increased.
    • The scalpel that he won from looking at his armory is also probably a better item to use on some fights too depending on positioning and raid damage.

Imo just though increasing his ilvl is going to be the best thing for him, as he will gain a lot of intellect and it really going to help him with mana especially as a disc priest.

Off topic, I am wondering why he is using the tailor made boe leg enchant rather than the profession only (cheap) leg enchant. Unless the us armory is bugging ^^
    I know more people doing that BoE leg enchant thing, someone told me and i was facepalming loud and hard..
    No not me, im not a tailor

As promised, here is a WoL http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/8ur98l8cboelcor9/

I thought he did very well for not playing his priest for a while. He also got some much needed upgrades which was nice

Thanks for the responses everyone it has been a big help in helping our raid progress.

on slime boss he did less than half of healing done by the second healer.

* he had time to cast 16 flash heals but 0 penances and 0 poms

* almost 40% overhealing with da, almost 60% overhealing with poh - means he spams poh blindly to stack da - and nothing wrong with it if the da is consumed. but 40% overhealing with da? means he spams poh to build up high da and then doesnt refresh it, lets da drop - can you imagine how much healing/absorbs are lost there - no wonder he has mana issues.

now hagara

* again 0 penances
    * flash heal spam - flash heal isnt any good for a discipline priest, who does have mana problems.

conclusions:
    * tell him about penance spell and pom spell
    * ask him to consider using penance instead of (at least some) flash heals
    * maybe suggest him dropping atonement spec for a week or two and use sos spec instead - he will loose smite/hf buttons and will be forced to rely more on healing tools. after that he can of course pick atonement spec again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by babylon View Post
    on slime boss he did less than half of healing done by the second healer.

* he had time to cast 16 flash heals but 0 penances and 0 poms

* almost 40% overhealing with da, almost 60% overhealing with poh - means he spams poh blindly to stack da - and nothing wrong with it if the da is consumed. but 40% overhealing with da? means he spams poh to build up high da and then doesnt refresh it, lets da drop - can you imagine how much healing/absorbs are lost there - no wonder he has mana issues.

now hagara

* again 0 penances
    * flash heal spam - flash heal isnt any good for a discipline priest, who does have mana problems.

conclusions:
    * tell him about penance spell and pom spell
    * ask him to consider using penance instead of (at least some) flash heals
    * maybe suggest him dropping atonement spec for a week or two and use sos spec instead - he will loose smite/hf buttons and will be forced to rely more on healing tools. after that he can of course pick atonement spec again.
    It seems from babylon's break down that your Priest friend is trying to heal as if this were WoTLK again minus bubble spam.

He should be using Penance on CD, POM on CD, and making good use of Rapture ICD. Also Greater heal>Flash heal. If he is AA/A spec then he should be smiting on
    low damage phases and then saving the 5 stacks of Evangelism for a high damage phase. . I recommend macroing Inner Focus to Prayer of Healing if he likes to PoH
    so much. I do it and it ensures I use IF on CD as much as possible. But I also bind it so I can use it on a Gheal if need be. Also at lower gear levels it is nice to use
    Power Infusion as much as possible for the decreased mana cost. I'm no expert, but these are a few things I have found helpful.

I found this article http://talesofapriest.com/2012/02/15/zero-sum-mana/ very interesting.