Page 1 of 2
LastLast

GW2 and character names...

Would I be wrong to guess that names will be unique per server, like in WoW? I remember seeing something about a way to reserve your characters name in GW2, by doing something in GW1. If so, will they allow people to connect their GW accounts to GW2 before the game releases? I'd hate to name my character, and then be forced to rename it because some kid had the name in GW1... What about server transfers? I guess we'll have to rename our characters if we transfer to a server where someone already has our characters name. Has there been any info on character names?
    Oh aye.

By linking your GW1 account (with HoM) you reserve the name of your characters for GW2.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    By linking your GW1 account you reserve the name of your characters for GW2.
    Yes, I said this in my post already... My concern was whether or not they link before or after release.
    Oh aye.

i wanna link it now, i want my warrior/ele name reserved atleast.

Quote Originally Posted by Colbor View Post
    Yes, I said this in my post already... My concern was whether or not they link before or after release.
    You will need GW2 first. So after

Can I transfer a Guild Wars character to Guild Wars 2?

No, but you will be able to reserve character names and transfer some achievements to GW2 through the Hall of Monuments.[7]

Are Hall of Monuments achievements by character or by account?

By account. A player may link a Guild Wars 2 account to a Guild Wars account using an in-game item in Guild Wars 2. All characters on the account will then be able to access the rewards from the Hall of Monuments.

so.. if someone takes the name of your char before you can get GW2 and link your account.. you gotta use another name for GW2 char?
    sigh..

Quote Originally Posted by Jimusmc View Post
    so.. if someone takes the name of your char before you can get GW2 and link your account.. you gotta use another name for GW2 char?
    sigh..
    We still don't know enough though, things might of changed.

I hope if you link your account you can still get your character names even if they're taken.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    You will need GW2 first. So after

Okay, but lets say I buy GW2 on release day, and I join a server called "Fish". And then, I make a character called "Raptor Jesus" (stick with me on this...), I then proceed to play the game and enjoy it, growing attached to my character. Then, the weekend comes by, and 10 year old Jimmy gets his mom to buy Guild Wars 2 for him. He then links his dads GW1 account to his, and joins the same server as me. His dad happens to have a character named Raptor Jesus on GW1, little Jimmy wishes to take this name, as he finds it to be awesome-tacular.

1 of 2 things could happen with this:

1. Since the name was taken by me on GW2 before he could link accounts, he is told the name is taken, the reservation cannot work.
    2. His reservation takes priority over the fact that I got the name on GW2 first, I am then forced to change names to something I do not want.

This seems stupid either way.
    Oh aye.

Deleted
    Would I be wrong to guess that names will be unique per server, like in WoW? I remember seeing something about a way to reserve your characters name in GW2, by doing something in GW1. If so, will they allow people to connect their GW accounts to GW2 before the game releases? I'd hate to name my character, and then be forced to rename it because some kid had the name in GW1... What about server transfers? I guess we'll have to rename our characters if we transfer to a server where someone already has our characters name. Has there been any info on character names?
    Some kid, thats a bit degrading of you.

Well someone beat you too it so tough thats names for you, although i very much doubt that you would be forced to rename your character after it had been created, that would be a rather uncouth move by arena net and a good way to cause sourness in the new playerbase. No if the name is reserved you will not get it, if the name is taken, you will not get it. If it has not be taken or reserved and is a new name created by you, you shall get it and will not have to give it up just because some "kid" decides to link their guild wars account for use in guild wars 2.

I would have thought that the names from guild wars would already be reserved, now just so you have an understanding, all guild wars names must have two parts.

Now heres an interesting slap in the chops, we can change server in guild wars 2 whenever we like. That would suggest that your name will need to be unique across all severs.

So if someone has already created a two part name with whatever name you had in mind and it also shared the two parts then your names already taken.
    Some kid beat you too the post probably 4-5years ago.

Okay, but lets say I buy GW2 on release day, and I join a server called "Fish". And then, I make a character called "Raptor Jesus" (stick with me on this...), I then proceed to play the game and enjoy it, growing attached to my character. Then, the weekend comes by, and 10 year old Jimmy gets his mom to buy Guild Wars 2 for him. He then links his dads GW1 account to his, and joins the same server as me. His dad happens to have a character named Raptor Jesus on GW1, little Jimmy wishes to take this name, as he finds it to be awesome-tacular.

1 of 2 things could happen with this:

1. Since the name was taken by me on GW2 before he could link accounts, he is told the name is taken, the reservation cannot work.
    2. His reservation takes priority over the fact that I got the name on GW2 first, I am then forced to change names to something I do not want.

This seems stupid either way.
    We still don't know enough though, things might of changed.
    We don't have any more information to go off on.

Sure is angry around here.
    Oh aye.

10+ Year Old Account
    3.) It reserves any names that have already been linked in Hall of Monuments and won't let you create Raptor Jesus in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by mackenzie View Post
    The real reason why everyone hates Garrosh...he sparkles in sunlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakusai View Post
    Saw a hunter named Michaelvick with no pet out

Deleted
    You will be starting a new character with a new story, pick a new name lol.

well ive never been to HoM on my ele.. but i typed his name in the HoM calculator and showed my points, i suppose if you make it with atleast one character it locks them all in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimusmc View Post
    I hope if you link your account you can still get your character names even if they're taken.
    That's a terrible idea.

Quote Originally Posted by RehabOC80 View Post
    3.) It reserves any names that have already been linked in Hall of Monuments and won't let you create Raptor Jesus in the first place.
    You have to link your GW2 account using a in game item in GW2 before you can reserve any names.

This is mainly for people who have unique names that most people don't come up with that often.

A name like Happy max is lame and shouldn't be reserved in the first place :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RehabOC80 View Post
    I think this one sums it up.

You picked up on my tone.

15+ Year Old Account
    I hope the names are unique overall, not per server. Since they want to make the server transfer and such easy. It isn't easy if you have to rename your character each time.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftfeet View Post
    You will be starting a new character with a new story, pick a new name lol.
    No thank you I rather like the names I created in GW1.