"Hero receives 10050 exp!"
    *presses A*
    "Hero steals Seed of Strength!"
    *presses A*
    "Hero receives Seed of Strength!"
    *presses A*
    "Hero places Seed of Strength in the bag."

Every single battle.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    Which do you prefer and why?

For me it's definitely Final Fantasy.

One reason (among many) I don't prefer Dragon Quest games is:

"Liquid Slime is defeated!"
    *presses A*
    "The enemy is defeated!"
    *presses A*
    "Hero receives 10050 exp!"
    *presses A*
    "Hero steals Seed of Strength!"
    *presses A*
    "Hero receives Seed of Strength!"
    *presses A*
    "Hero places Seed of Strength in the bag."

Every single battle.
    i call lier lier pants on fire
    Isnt 10% of infinite still infinite?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ambigiouslynamed View Post
    i call lier lier pants on fire
    I call denial.

I liked the smiles etc. I thought they were interesting, especially when finding metal slimes or King slimes. At the very least, monsters were more interesting in Dragon Quest in my experience. Granted, I've only finished Dragon Quest IV (and the one on Wii but that doesn't count), though I do not recall it being so tedious as you've explained.

I'd like to comment more but I'm getting the dragon quest I played mixed with FFV because I played them around the same time. But iirc, Dragon Quest had more interesting world/ things you can discovery and do on the side. I can't say it's story was anything of note though.
    Also, I liked the synergy between abilities as well, where players could reduce armor, power up, reflect, crit etc. It was a tad more strategic than spam strong ability.

Idk, it's been a while since I played either. I played FFVI semi recently but I didn't care for how it played and quit towards the end.

15+ Year Old Account
    I never found the Dragon Quest enemies to be more interesting personally. There's only a small selection of enemies, and as you progress through the game you encounter recoloured versions of those enemies. As for sidequests I think Final Fantasy beats it there by a mile, take FF8 and FF9 for example where, along with the other many side quests, you had the Tetra Master card game to play and collect.

I just played through Dragon Quest VI and it left a bitter taste for me. I couldn't force myself to be interested in the story (for what story there was) or the characters. Compared to Final Fantasy games it felt like an absolute grind fest. "We're ready to take on the final boss, seeing as we've progressed to the last dungeon!" * OOPS. No you aren't ready! You have to go back outside, walk back and forth and fight enemies for hours upon hours to only slightly increase your stats and slowly level your class!

I beat Dragon Warrior 1 on NES when I was little but didn't mind it since it wasn't nearly as long.

10+ Year Old Account
    ive only ever really played dragon quest 8 and that game was amazing. however, without final fantasy i would have never gotten into rpgs i dont think.

final fantasy has started to wane in recent years but they are still pretty decent rpgs (havent played 13-2 but hear its supposed to be amazing). im probably going to say final fantasy since i know it better.

that said....dragon quest 8 is my favorite rpg of all time.....so maybe if i play more of the series ill end up changing my mind. but for now, final fantasy

It certainly did have the potential to feel more grindy, but I can't say I ever actually needed to. My cousin said he had to, but I mowed through the game. Being a grind could be the game's balance for all I know. However, I am much better at games in general than my cousin and used a more effective strategy/line up. If the games is truly a grind, I simply found an imbalance which may not be present to the same extent in other dragon quest games.

I can't say I put a face enemies that often because they generally don't warrant the need. Only the slime's I felt were interesting. I enjoyed finding them. They provided an enjoyable random element to the game with a high reward. It's basically like have a rare mob appear, and the struggle was not only finding them but killing them. Overall not amazing, but in the course of sometimes tedious random encounters, it can change the pace of your game.

Perhaps I should have clarified I meant more interesting world etc in comparison to FFV. I was trying to figure out what I liked about Dragon Quest as I was playing them both. I don't really think I can, it's been too long.

I would say Final Fantasy, but that's not really fair since I've never actually played a Dragon Quest game, so I won't vote on the poll.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    With the direction FF seems to be going Dragon Quest wins this one by far for now, I really didn't like the last FF game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier, TF2
    "You were good son, real good; maybe even the best."

I've really only played another DQ game besides Swords, and I barely remember it, can't recall which one it was either to be honest, so I can't really vote. Don't wanna be biased, so meh.