Please help me be less bad

394 Fire Mage, I'm doing around 28k on Ultra fight. I have the 410 shoulders off 1/8H, but I'd rather keep the 4pc.

logs: worldoflogs.com/guilds/188156
    armory: us.battle.net/wow/en/character/trollbane/Karnie/advanced

Karnie,
    Thanks!

Edit: I have a shammy in the party for 5% haste
    Last edited by NeerDeth; 2012-02-20 at 03:56 AM.

Deleted
    you put a +40 gem in your belt to get 120 int.

If you put a +20 +20, you get 120 int + 20 hit.

so what's the point ? why did you put a +40 ?

ps: get +65 mastery on gloves.
    Last edited by mmoc8f8e3e5ba3; 2012-02-20 at 02:03 PM.

Taking a quick quick look at your log and armory.

1. You have waaay to much hit. Use a site like wow reforge (google it) to try and get a perfect hit cap.

2. Your combustion dmg is really kinda low. I'm looking at your Ultraxion kill.. and I'm comparing to my heroic kill (The heroic fight is longer tho!) but I do not have 4xt13 so I still only got 3x combustions out

Yours: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=4351&e=4626
    Mine: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/e...?s=8327&e=8673

Still.. my combustion did about 120k more dmg then yours.

You should try to get some addon like CombustionHelper to make it easier to get big combustions.

Thats all I could see by talking a quick look.

PS: I really dont know why you are doing such DPS.. You are doing the same DPS as me with about 20 ilvl higher then me and even t13 items when I only got t12 items.

Also, I used twice as many Heroic wills as you >.<
    Last edited by Kimpan; 2012-02-20 at 04:28 AM.

Fixes so far

ok, I re-enchanted the gloves to mastery. I used Reforge configuring haste cap of at least 1500, zero value after that.
    I didn't understand the belt gem problem, as it wants a blue gem, and I can't find a blue gem with crit.

Thanks for all the help so far,
    Karnie

Quote Originally Posted by NeerDeth View Post
    ok, I re-enchanted the gloves to mastery. I used Reforge configuring haste cap of at least 1500, zero value after that.
    I didn't understand the belt gem problem, as it wants a blue gem, and I can't find a blue gem with crit.

Thanks for all the help so far,
    Karnie
    You wouldn't be able to get crit, but you could get hit instead, and save that hit somewhere else, resulting in more crit.
    Switch the red gem in the blue slot to a Purified or Veiled Demonseye, you would unlock the socket bonus (20 int) and still get 20int from the gem plus the 20 hit, net resulting in the same int as with the red gem, but a gain of 20 hit.

Karnie, you should have an Int + Hit (veiled) gem in your blue belt socket, rather than a straight red gem, which is what Jamiro meant (you still get 120 Int from the gems + socket bonus, plus an extra 20 Hit). Also, I believe that you want at least 1505 haste, as you get the extra combustion tick at 2005 haste as far as I am aware. You should check the fire Mage sticky thread though to double check. Finally, some Mages prefer to not use Lavawalker on their boots, as you generally have blink available for movement - each to their own, however, as blink may be on CD or not take you far enough. If you do not take Lavawalker, you should get the +50 Hit enchant.

After these changes, you should visit a reforge website to optimize your stats once again.

gem changed and I reforged again.

Deleted
    You say you've gone for 1500, but that will mean even less damage, as 1505 is the minimum haste needed for extra tick of combustion (with 10 stacks of 2 part T13 - though you have 1506 on armory, so it's all good). Also if you're worried about DPS, help yourself as much as possible by using epic gems.

On Ultrax, use Fire Blast or scorch just before pressing the button if you know you wont get a full FB off. Try and press the button as close to 1s or so as possible, though don't be too adventurous, dying = no DPS.

As pointed out though, your combustion damage is quite low (avg ticks of just 6305.6 - almost as if you're using it without ignite being up, or using it with an LB procced ignite). Use something like combustion helper that'll track your ignite damage. Set it to 15k at least and pop combust when LB + a 15k Ignite are up at least. Pyro dot is nice, but not absolutely necessary so don't go fishing for it as if you hold off on Combust for too long it won't be worth it. Other than that its all about playstyle. You should be doing roughly 35k at least (depending on RNG).

yes, i was going for 1500, but it still kept me at 1506, lucky. I'll raise it next time. ty
    I'm slowly replacing to epic gems, mostly using them on current BiS items.
    I use cumbustionHelper, I set it to 15k, it was at 12k.