Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onebadmother View Post
    Are you graduating from college? If so, are you considering OCS (officer candidate school)?

When you break it down, in terms of the missions, the Army and the Marines really aren't all that different. Sure, the Marines are trained to storm beaches and what not, but when was the last time that happened?

But here's a few things I found out while going through the process. As I think somebody has already said, Army has better benefits in terms of money, student loan repayment, facilities, etc. However, Marines have what they call intangible benefits. While you may not get as much money for school or something like that, at the end of the day you're a Marine and it's difficult to put a number on that. I think if I remember correctly, the student loan forgiveness for the Marines was about half what it was for the Army, and you had to re-enlist in order to be eligible.

Also, if you go for Army OCS, you go through the same basic training that all Army personnel go through before heading off to OCS. In the Marines, you go straight to OCS. This means that if you wash out of Marine OCS, you're out of the Marine Corps, but if you wash out of Army OCS you just go back to being a grunt. If you don't mind being a grunt then it's not really an issue, but still something to consider.

There's also a slight difference in the way that specialties are determined. From what I've heard, if you go Marines, as long as your scores are high enough, they will give you a shot at whatever specialty you want. Of course if you screw up they'll move you elsewhere, but they still give you a shot. Army is a little different. While they'll generally try to accommodate you, your scores could be high enough, but if they don't need anybody in a particular specialty at that time you likely wont get it. Although with you looking to go infantry this probably won't even be an issue.

If you're looking to do special forces type work, Army is the way to go. The Army's network of special forces units is much larger than that of the Marines.

Finally, don't know what kind of physical shape you're in, but the Marine PFT (physical fitness test) is more difficult than the Army PFT. And once again, not sure if you're looking to do OCS, but I've heard that right now the process is extremely competitive for the Marines and you should be looking to score around a 260+ just to be eligible. Either way, start training early, especially running and your core.
    Well I'm only doing one semester in college, I have a GED and need 15 credits to go along with to be able to join any branch. Also a great chance to study to get a good asvab score. When it comes to fitness I'm actually in pretty decent shape, I haven't timed myself past a mile but I can do one mile in about 7 minutes. As for upper body and core workouts, I'm at 55 pushups, 15 dead hang pull ups and 70-75 crunches (in one set). I'm still in the process of building up

Quote Originally Posted by viciouss View Post
    I would suggest marines but I am biased being a former marine. I know it was not an option but if you want to try special forces try out for marine scout sniper. It is very hard to get accepted but well worth it.
    Do you apply for that once you're in and settled in a unit?
    Last edited by Beefsquatch; 2012-02-20 at 03:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FathomFear View Post
    Because I would see it as a lack of maturity. Joining the military for "adventure" would indicate to me that the person has probably played too much CoD. I would honestly rather hear that someone wants to join the military due to its function and purpose--to keep and maintain peace and solve conflicts. This may or may not always involve CoD like "adventures".
    Idealists honestly don't last long in the military, I don't know when society decided it was so wrong to have warriors. They have always been there throughout history to do the warring on behalf of their nation and will always be there in some capacity. Just because you can't understand the mental draw of wanting to be in harms way and potentially inflict violence don't write it off as being 'lack of maturity' from others. We will never understand how you tolerate your 9 to 5 and you will never comprehend how we don't mind being shot at, all we have to agree on is that both of us serve a purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by FathomFear View Post
    Because I would see it as a lack of maturity. Joining the military for "adventure" would indicate to me that the person has probably played too much CoD. I would honestly rather hear that someone wants to join the military due to its function and purpose--to keep and maintain peace and solve conflicts. This may or may not always involve CoD like "adventures".
    I can guarantee that most 17 - 18 year olds don't think about "maintaining peace and solving conflicts" they are in it for the adventure and experience, of which you won't get anywhere else I can assure you. (without paying serious cash anyway)

You know what the adventure is... going to places like Germany, Crete, Cyprus and more. Hell you even go on skiing trips, jump out of aeroplanes, skydive, abseil out of a Chinook and climbing... all for free, you also end up with a life time of qualifications you otherwise wouldn’t have. It's not about wanting to act out scenes from "COD" as you describe, adventure doesn’t have to mean killing people, no idea where you got that from.

Quote Originally Posted by Asseymcgee View Post
    Airforce never appealed to me much, but what is it that those guys do exactly? They come in and pull guys out of bad situations?
    Pretty much, they are specialized in personnel recovery, from what I know they are just as tough as any other of the US SOF units, they are supposed to be able to go behind enemy lines and get their dudes out. Downed chopper/fighter pilots, other special forces guys etc etc.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Asseymcgee View Post
    Hey guys.
    I'm planning on joining either the Army or the Marines after I finish this semester of college. Now if I go Army, I plan on going with a 11X/Airborne/Option 40 contract (Ranger contract, 4 years) and if I choose to go with the Marines, it'll be a Security Forces contract (5 years, 2 in the Security Forces, 3 in the Fleet as Infantry most likely 0311) with hopes of getting into FAST Company. I want to experience something different than just being a regular infantrymen, getting more training and seeing the world a bit more as well as seeing combat.

If anyone has any knowledge, tips, advice on either or that would be great. I've scoured the interwebz on the life style of Army Rangers and FAST Marines but I can't really find too much. I'd like to know as much info as I can before making my choice. Please try to be as least biased as possible. Gracias
    enlist in the Navy under the divefarer program (thats what i did). guaranteed crack at buds if you can pass the test. if you want to be an operator, choose a group with an unlimited budget, it makes a difference. and if you want truckloads of pussy, nothing drops the pants faster. so you can be a high speed, low drag, tephlon coated ninja, or a grunt making dick jokes getting beat up by sailors. Hooyah!

if you want to be a big swinging dick, go to buds and see what you're made of upstairs as well as on the outside.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Koal2 View Post
    enlist in the Navy under the divefarer program (thats what i did). guaranteed crack at buds if you can pass the test. if you want to be an operator, choose a group with an unlimited budget, it makes a difference. and if you want truckloads of pussy, nothing drops the pants faster. so you can be a high speed, low drag, tephlon coated ninja, or a grunt making dick jokes getting beat up by sailors. Hooyah!

if you want to be a big swinging dick, go to buds and see what you're made of upstairs as well as on the outside.
    So you joined the SEALs to get girls and show off? The SAS and SBS will RTU you just for telling people you are in the SF, guess the SEALs have lower standards if you are to be believed.

Quote Originally Posted by Clevername View Post
    Idealists honestly don't last long in the military, I don't know when society decided it was so wrong to have warriors. They have always been there throughout history to do the warring on behalf of their nation and will always be there in some capacity. Just because you can't understand the mental draw of wanting to be in harms way and potentially inflict violence don't write it off as being 'lack of maturity' from others. We will never understand how you tolerate your 9 to 5 and you will never comprehend how we don't mind being shot at, all we have to agree on is that both of us serve a purpose.
    Amen QFT. i'm now a nurse, but i had my time and i tested myself. few know what it means to be completely broken (mentally and physically) and to keep going, because your brothers are counting on you. cant find that pushing paper.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Go with Marines if you truly want to be in a unique crew.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    This should be made into an official quote. You said it best, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by viciouss View Post
    I know it was not an option but if you want to try special forces try out for marine scout sniper. It is very hard to get accepted but well worth it.
    OT: Stumbled across this by accident a few nights ago while looking through Amazon, http://maritimesnipermanual.com/about.html
    The funny thing is it's written by one of the instructors we had when I was doing service at p4(army base). I had to order it just for the sake of it. hehe
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Knarko View Post
    You want to kill people. Why?
    Some people are built for combat, some built for killing. Everyone has a calling in life, wether its network engineer, buisness exc or line cook at Mc Donnalds.

Airforce never appealed to me much, but what is it that those guys do exactly?
    They get some of the best training to help you when you leave the military, they have some of the safest jobs out of all of the armed forces, they have a better quality of life, and get better food. Really look into it bro.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure if this has been said, but be very, very, very careful with those 11x contracts. Even if you think you're Benjamin Church reborn, something as simple as a bad sprain can result in a medical drop and then your ass belongs to Uncle Sam. I'd almost go as far as to say that they count on you washing out, since the drop rates on both SFAS and Ranger School are well north of 50%.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    But, yeah. If you're planning on Rangers and know you can make it, I'd go for that Ranger tab. Otherwise go for the Marines. You'll probably get more girls as a Marine, anyway.
    I'm not sure "getting girls" should factor into a decision that might end up with you in a body bag.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BLCalliente View Post
    I'm not sure "getting girls" should factor into a decision that might end up with you in a body bag.
    I'd say with Ranger or Marine Infantry they're close to equal so might as well take pussy into consideration at that point.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BLCalliente View Post

Anyone joining the Military to get girls is in for a huge shock, especially when they get an 8 month deployment and the only females around would warrant a 3 at best back home.

When i did my basic at Sandhurst people were drooling over women that were barely human, a few months in the company of just men can warp the mind. We had a female instructor that got a lot of attention, she resembled the Trunchbull from Matilda.
    Last edited by mmoca51a6f9f4d; 2012-02-20 at 06:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Anyone joining the Military to get girls is in for a huge shock, especially when they get an 8 month deployment and the only females around would warrant a 3 at best back home.

When i did my basic at Sandhurst people were drooling over women were barely human, a few months in the company of just men can warp the mind.
    The military is a great place to be a whore if you're a female though, you literally have your pick of dudes overseas. I know they're had issues with prostitution before; I honestly don't know why they got rid of whores for the troops worked great in the olden days for morale, now they take away booze (for the US) and women.. just kills a man's spirits, no wonder we're so prone to violence.

Deleted
    The military is a great place to be a whore if you're a female though, you literally have your pick of dudes overseas. I know they're had issues with prostitution before; I honestly don't know why they got rid of whores for the troops worked great in the olden days for morale, now they take away booze (for the US) and women.. just kills a man's spirits, no wonder we're so prone to violence.
    I used to have it mailed to me in Afghanistan smuggled inside empty shower gel bottles, made me very popular.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    When i did my basic at Sandhurst people were drooling over women that were barely human, a few months in the company of just men can warp the mind. We had a female instructor that got a lot of attention, she resembled the Trunchbull from Matilda.
    lmao, damn you, you made me spit tea all over the place

lol you have high ambitions to get something you want from a military that doesnt give two shits what you actually want. i was a Marine for 7 years and now medically retired. they will tell you that you will get to be security forces and thats good and dandy. when it comes down to it you will be a grunt for 3 years and they will tell you to pack sand when it comes time to do security forces. on top of that your in college wich means your smart enough to not be a grunt. anything 03xx only requires an score of 30 on the asvab. you should be going towards a carreer you can use when you get out instead of being a gun slinger. anyone who walks into a recruiting office wanting to be a grunt just gave the recruiter a huge hard on. do something useful with your life instead of being just another meat shield. you dont even know how many of my friends have thanked me for the same advice.

for a little of my background:
    7 Years in the Marine Corps.
    Achieved the rank of Sgt.
    been to Afghanistan and Iraq
    held the mos of 6282 Aviation life support systems for the harrier aircraft mechanic.

i had 19 harriers under my charge and care and was responsible for over a 200 million dollars in equipment.

there are many times we recieved former grunts because they came back in as retreads. they have told me that never in their life had they ever had to work as hard or as long as we have while on deployment.

if shooting people possibly losing your life is what you want then be a grunt but if your smart you will choose something else and let the mentally challenged take bullets for you.

good luck with your decision. if i could do it all over again i would have joined the airforce. a lot better living conditions for the same pay. in the end its a paycheck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by passetto View Post
    lanything 03xx only requires an score of 30 on the asvab.
    Your forgot 0321, Reconnaissance Marine required GT of 105... we're a bit smarter than your average grunt.