Page 1 of 2
LastLast

NAO Inv Final Matches

Whoever did that DDOSing really had a mission, didn't they?

Anyways, I still think Shadowplay will win over RLS.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Most likely some mad challengers or Al-Qaeda
    Twitch.tv/datmodz

Live Hardmode raids from multiple perspectives, Rated Battlegrounds(Hero of the Alliance) and Arenas from a multi-time Gladiator!

I had to go afk after the second attempt (where Snutz lagged for the second match in a row)...what ended up happening? Right before I logged off, I heard the announcer people saying that the score was final, 3-2 to Talbadar's team. Was this upheld? Really shitty if it was....what's the point of doing a tournament if it's decided by something the players have no control over? Why not just keep the 2-2 score, move to a "different" location (and don't inform others, aside from those participating), and hold the final match the next day? Really unsatisfying conclusion to a good tournament. Well, aside from all the technical difficulties. My. God.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    I had to go afk after the second attempt (where Snutz lagged for the second match in a row)...what ended up happening? Right before I logged off, I heard the announcer people saying that the score was final, 3-2 to Talbadar's team. Was this upheld? Really shitty if it was....what's the point of doing a tournament if it's decided by something the players have no control over? Why not just keep the 2-2 score, move to a "different" location (and don't inform others, aside from those participating), and hold the final match the next day? Really unsatisfying conclusion to a good tournament. Well, aside from all the technical difficulties. My. God.
    I give them credit for trying, but I just don't see how anyone can hold a tournament on the live WoW servers and people take it seriously. If it was just an informal thing, that'd be one thing, but they're playing for prize money right?
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pissed! I really wanted to see who one. It's a shame someone had to go and mess it up for everyone else.
    Packers - Penguins - Gators

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    I give them credit for trying, but I just don't see how anyone can hold a tournament on the live WoW servers and people take it seriously. If it was just an informal thing, that'd be one thing, but they're playing for prize money right?
    Regardless of it being "held seriously", it's the principle of the thing. It'd be like the Super Bowl being decided because of some hacker messing with the game clock. It shouldn't determine the outcome of something. Fix it, don't just say "nothing we can do, tourney's over". The winner got $800 a person, so yes, there was prize money. I would have obviously preferred it not being on a live server, but not much I can do about that, being a viewer. Either way, I'm extremely put off by this tournament. It was entertaining to watch the matches, but with all the technical difficulties (I mean seriously, I watched what, 9 games in something like 4 hours? Really?)...and especially the ending, I'm not watching it again. I hate to give the reasoning along the lines of "I QUIT!", but it's just not worth my time to be so disappointed over.

Can't believe they actually quit trying. But than again, what can they really do.
    As for the whole DDOS thing, dunno what to think about that. I mean how would anyone find out Snutz' or Azael's IP's?
    And if they DDOS'd the WoW server i'd expect more people to disconnect than just these two.

Either way I really have to give those guys who set up this tournament a big thumbs up.
    I do enjoy watching WoW arena every now and then but it seems most big organizations have given up on it.
    Would love to see Blizzard backing up players like these with temporary accounts with preloaded characters or even a private arena server for events like this.
    Don't think it would be really THAT hard to set up.

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    Both warlocks DCed and they decided to just hold the rest of the matches at a random time/date and upload them to YouTube.. They also said they may consider putting the series back at 2-2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craze View Post
    Can't believe they actually quit trying. But than again, what can they really do.
    As for the whole DDOS thing, dunno what to think about that. I mean how would anyone find out Snutz' or Azael's IP's?
    And if they DDOS'd the WoW server i'd expect more people to disconnect than just these two.
    Well both warlocks are streaming quite often, which leads me to believe they have a fairly nice connection - a connection good enough as to where they wouldnt DC in every match.

15+ Year Old Account
    finding their Ip's probably took all of 30seconds...

And how exactly would you do that?
    I'll patiently wait for your "I can't tell you that" response now.

15+ Year Old Account
    from emails, forums, ventrilo.......wanna know some more ways?

oh i forgot......Derp i cant tell u Dat
    Last edited by gutnbrg; 2012-02-20 at 06:10 AM.

You can find IP addresses through Skype or Twitch.tv chat. Something similar happened to the popular SC2 streamer Destiny, go look it up if you want more information on how he dealt with it. The odd part about all of this is that SC2 or LoL tournaments never have to deal with this kind of stuff or seem to deal with it much better. This kind of immaturity just goes to show why most companies and people don't want to pick up WoW arena up as an Esport. If horrible game balance isn't enough, the amount of drama and cliques that build up in the WoW PvP scene is absurd and ruins it as an Esport. From the very start of the tournament there was a huge amount of drama over not letting Neilyo play that lead to a lot of angry people. With that said, they did the best they could with how poorly supported the PvP scene is by Blizzard.

Thanks to everyone involved (if they read this thread) and I hope they try again.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Both players actively use skype, if someone saw there skype address than can figure out there IP address(even thought P2P software goes through servers and doesn't directly connect you can still find out this information). If you are smart enough and with clever use of telnet/tracert amongst other things you can easily find this out. No one, unless they are an idiot will tell you how to do this over the internet lol.
    Twitch.tv/datmodz

Live Hardmode raids from multiple perspectives, Rated Battlegrounds(Hero of the Alliance) and Arenas from a multi-time Gladiator!

15+ Year Old Account
    so now that there are numerous responses on how easy it is to get, anymore smart ass remarks?

Basicly every single web site you visit knows your IP. Not to mention software like Skype, TS, Ventrilo, xfire, etc.

I do have other stuff to do besides checking this thread every 5 minutes.

Only very few people have static IP's. The vast majority get a dynamic IP from their provider.
    I assume these guys or someone around them was smart enough to tell them to unplug their modem long enough to release the IP. Which I assume he did anyway to see if that would resolve the lag. And yes, this wouldn't be a long term solution but it would've solved the problem long enough for them to finish the tournament.
    And i'm not even talking about the DDOS protection his provider surely has put up.

Point being here, that DDOS'ing someone's home connection just to mess with a wow tournament which has 10k viewers on average seems very unlikely to be done by someone who knows what he's doing.
    I was surprised they'd even mention DDOS as a possible reason. The term gets thrown around so easily these days.

As for getting IP's through vent, skype and what not. Afaik these go through the server first to allow "one to many" communication so you won't be getting IP's from there unless you make a direct connection. The only thing I could think of right now that gives away the IP you're currently using is IRC. Leaving out obvious things like P2P software because I doubt they'd be running any of that will playing a tournament.

Only very few people have static IP's. The vast majority get a dynamic IP from their provider.
    I assume these guys or someone around them was smart enough to tell them to unplug their modem long enough to release the IP. Which I assume he did anyway to see if that would resolve the lag. And yes, this wouldn't be a long term solution but it would've solved the problem long enough for them to finish the tournament.
    And i'm not even talking about the DDOS protection his provider surely has put up.

Point being here, that DDOS'ing someone's home connection just to mess with a wow tournament which has 10k viewers on average seems very unlikely to be done by someone who knows what he's doing.
    I was surprised they'd even mention DDOS as a possible reason. The term gets thrown around so easily these days.

As for getting IP's through vent, skype and what not. Afaik these go through the server first to allow "one to many" communication so you won't be getting IP's from there unless you make a direct connection. The only thing I could think of right now that gives away the IP you're currently using is IRC. Leaving out obvious things like P2P software because I doubt they'd be running any of that will playing a tournament.
    if you have been following the pvp scene the past month you would know whats been going on. Streamers on athenelive and twitch.tv have been ddosed as soon as they started to stream. The ddoser said in a video that they were going after NAO. Loads of ppl also know who the ddosers are but there isnt much they can do.

15+ Year Old Account

you are just flat out wrong, my friends and I have used vent/skype numerous times to get eachothers IP's and mess around with them...and like others have said its easily done, and has been happening in many tournaments and streams....just live with the fact you are wrong.

Deleted
    Most common way is by skype. All you have to do is send a friend request. They don't even have to accept it. And from there, you can easily get their IP address. Pre-schoolers could do it.

You obviously don't keep up with the PvP scene. DDOSing has been going on since the arrival of arena. It's only becoming more common now because alot of top players are actively streaming via twitch.tv or athenelive. Players are getting DDOS'd as soon as they begin to stream.

Many top PvPers also know who is behind it all. Unfortunately though, there is nothing they can do. They've been trying to get around it, but have failed. It's a shame really.
    Last edited by mmoccba440cc3b; 2012-02-20 at 10:50 PM.

Although we aren't sure if it was a DDOS attack specifically, the point is that there was definitely a person maliciously attacking our participants in the tournament.