Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Samsung Galaxy Nexus or Galaxy SII?

Hey guys i'm really unsure which phone to get as they both come pretty close in comparison when you look at their advantages and disadvantages!

I'll be buying from ebay as my local phone sellers are selling these phones for around 720-850 bucks!

Nexus
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Samsu...ht_4791wt_1398

SII
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Samsu...ht_5501wt_1398

Nexus advantages:
    Much better screen
    Ice cream sandwhich UI (although the SII gets this in less than 10 days now)
    more comfortable to hold
    quicker shutter speed on the camera

SII advantages:
    Really strong screen! from what i've heard this gorilla glass can survive a drop from the headheight and not even scratch the screen!
    faster (mostly just because it's pushing a less intense resolution than the nexus)
    can hold a micro sd card (the nexus doesn't support micro sd)
    thinner of the two

Thanks for any feedback

Whats about HTC Sensation XE or XL? Much better than any Samsung phone.

I have a Galaxy Nexus that replaced my iPhone, and I have to say I don't find the Nexus worth the money. I'll use it until iPhone 5 gets released but I'll probably move back to iPhones then. Never tried SII though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love my S2 but I doubt I would love a Nexus any less. They are very similar, the only real things to consider are the Nexus has a higher res screen but a weaker camera. The Nexus also has a slightly weaker GPU and with the higher resolution so it could lag on some games but I kind of doubt it.

The only real party piece the Nexus has is 4.0 and the S2 will get very soon, as you noted above. I would just hold them side by side and see which one stands out. My provider only has the S2 atm, so I never even had to make the choice, your service may only offer one or the other too.

Get the Galaxy Nexus. It wins hands down. The screen is unbelievable and it runs smoother than any phone i had ever played with. The Nexus is probably the best Android phone you can get at this moment.

I just got the new Galaxy Note yesterday. It's amazing if you can get past the size.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Galaxy S3 is said to come out soon. Bigger, faster, better.

The S2 is an amazing phone, I love mine.

Deleted
    Galaxy Nexus is just overpriced and overhyped. SGSII still destroy pretty much any phone in benchmark tests. If you absolutley want Vanilla ICS and dont want to flash a custom rom, then i guess Nexus is your only choice.

However SGSIII is just around the corner and will probably release mid may, and the spec is just amazing. Price on SGSII will go down significantly aswell.

Sorry for spelling errors, posted from phone.

also btw everyone i've just been using really shitty old generation phones all my life and this is the first time i'm treating myself to a nice phone so yeah,
    -also for internet browsing i've been using a half broken ipod touch with a cracked screen.

Deleted
    I own an S2 for 4-5 months now and I live it, it's fast and screen and camera are just amazing! Dont know about Nexus since I dont own 1 but dont think you will regret buying a s2

I don't own a phone atm so i need to be buying one soon! thanks everyone for the feedback. I won't really be playing any games on these phones so would the difference in benchmarks really matter to me?

---------- Post added 2012-02-20 at 09:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by holstein View Post
    I just got the new Galaxy Note yesterday. It's amazing if you can get past the size.
    It really sounds like an amazing phone! but really even the nexus is almost too big for me haha!

---------- Post added 2012-02-20 at 09:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Velthy View Post
    Whats about HTC Sensation XE or XL? Much better than any Samsung phone.
    To be honest i don't really like the interface used on htc phones, that's just my opinion tho

Deleted
    SGS2 – Super AMOLED Plus 800 x 480
    Galaxy Nexus – HD Super AMOLED 1280 x 800

Nexus advantages:
    Much better screen (untrue in some way)

The screens are pretty on par. It is not the resolution that makes a screen better or worse, its the technology used.
    The galaxy s2 has rgb pixel coloring, while the nexus uses pentile pixel coloring. Traditional rgb means that every pixel has rgb colors. While pentile uses shared color sublayers. It means pixels share colors so they can obtain the right color, meaning that ... you can't realy obtain true black like rgb can since the whole pixel goes black on rgb but on pentile it still is lit to make the neighboring pixel obtain the correct color.

this means the screens have both + and - points.
    i own a samsung galaxy s2 and i'm pretty fond of it
    also not to forget, the camera on the s2 is 8mp and the one on the nexus is 5mp (yes the quality of the pictures on the s2 is amazing)

I own a s2 but i favor the nexus for the stock android. And also, whenever google releases a new version of android, you are pretty sure to also get at least one major update on the nexus line of phones.

hope this helped.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have the Galaxy S Infuse - and I've seen the S2 in action. I'd definitely go with the Galaxy S series, but to be honest, either way you'll be getting a great phone.

I love mine; it's still the largest screen on the market.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amity View Post
    I don't own a phone atm so i need to be buying one soon! thanks everyone for the feedback. I won't really be playing any games on these phones so would the difference in benchmarks really matter to me?
    LOL OP, good one, "won't be playing the games" sure...

Almost every app for a smartphone has a free variant and the full versions rarely cost more than $5. Apps are what make smartphones so fun, if you just want a phone for basic internet and making calls just get a standard phone, will save you $20-30 a month too.

Here's an example, for $5.99 I got the full version of Dead Space, a full blown FPS on a little flat piece of black glass. Just so cool. Looks as good as a PC or console version but in the pocket. Heck, their's even MMOs for the things that have thriving populations.

Deleted
    I won't really be playing any games on these phones so would the difference in benchmarks really matter to me?
    Yeh, it does make a difference outside of games. It affect how smooth your phone run in general and the speed to open and close applications, aswell as the number of processes you can run at a time, if you're into multitasking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, don't say "I don't want to do X, so I don't need something that does X well"; don't limit your options.
    You MIGHT want to play games, and if you get a shitty phone that doesn't do them well, then you'll be kicking yourself in the ass later.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninthward View Post
    Yeh, it does make a difference outside of games. It affect how smooth your phone run in general and the speed to open and close applications, aswell as the number of processes you can run at a time, if you're into multitasking.
    Those are generally a function of how much optimization has been done on the user interface etc., not a direct function of hardware or some benchmark results. It's well known that Apple puts huge amount of effort into optimizing UX, while Google/Android manufacturers not so much.

Nexus advantages:
    Much better screen - Balls to that, the only thing that's better is the resolution, It's not 10 bit color like the s2 and it has higher power consumption
    Ice cream sandwhich UI (although the SII gets this in less than 10 days now) This is the only -real- advatage, aside from being a nexus phone and getting all the new updates first
    more comfortable to hold Sauce?
    quicker shutter speed on the camera Software Feature
    SII advantages:
    Really strong screen! from what i've heard this gorilla glass can survive a drop from the headheight and not even scratch the screen! All modern smartphones aside from the iPhone use gorilla glass.
    faster (mostly just because it's pushing a less intense resolution than the nexus) The processor is faster, the GPU used in the nexus is the same used in the original galaxy S, with doubled clock speeds.
    can hold a micro sd card (the nexus doesn't support micro sd) Indeed it can, what're you gonna put on it?
    thinner of the two This has zero impact, it's not that big of a deal

Thanks for any feedback

I'd presonally wait for the 28nm facbricated phones
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Skullcrack View Post
    Those are generally a function of how much optimization has been done on the user interface etc., not a direct function of hardware or some benchmark results. It's well known that Apple puts huge amount of effort into optimizing UX, while Google/Android manufacturers not so much.
    Talking about the UI - isn't ICS (ice cream sandwich) on the SII just going to be transfered from the nexus? so the nexus will be receiving quicker updates than the SII?
    will this also mean that ICS will be more optimized for the Nexus?

I thought the shutter speed had to do with the software. One thing that might change your decision is that the GN runs stock ICS, while the GS2 is going to have the same old TouchWiz with some of the newer interface features of ICS.

I personally own an E4gT which is an excellent phone. However I too am torn on whether or not to upgrade to the GN when it launches or wait for the GS3.

Also, the number one key factor in this decision is Nyandroid!

I also forgot to mention the the hardware on both of these phones is almost identical. The only advantage the GN has over the GS2 is that the screen is bigger and has a higher resolution. The GS2 has a better camera and has expandable storage.

---------- Post added 2012-02-20 at 07:49 AM ----------

Talking about the UI - isn't ICS (ice cream sandwich) on the SII just going to be transfered from the nexus? so the nexus will be receiving quicker updates than the SII?
    will this also mean that ICS will be more optimized for the Nexus?
    Of course it's optimized for the GN, however GS2 isnt getting stock ICS. The UI on the GS2 will be almost identical to the way it is now, because of TouchWiz.
    Last edited by Linkedblade; 2012-02-20 at 12:51 PM.