View Poll Results: How long before U.S. goes the way of Greece?

Voters
165. This poll is closed
  • 5 years

66 40.00%
  • 10 years

54 32.73%
  • 20 years

45 27.27%
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    U.S. is too busy #1ing to ever go the way of Greece, haters gonna hate

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    You missed the point. Really really badly. The point being that as a minority power holder in my government I still have more ability to effect change than I do as a minority stockholder in a major corporation.
    You can sell your shares in the corporation and buy the shares of a corporation where minority stockholders are more respected, or create your own corporation, or blow it on hookers.

You can't do this with the government.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    You missed the point. Really really badly. The point being that as a minority power holder in my government I still have more ability to effect change than I do as a minority stockholder in a major corporation.
    No, you really don't. You can, at best, elect a representative who MIGHT vote the way you want. Corporate ownership is the purest form of direct democracy. Just like in regular government you are allowed to group with other shareholders to form an activist shareholder group (aka: lobbying). Everyone is allowed to speak at general shareholders' meetings. Can't say that about Congress.

Sure you are tiger.
    If they were a wasteful company, they wouldn't be in business. If they managed to be consistently wasteful and stay in business, that information is publicly available and I would not invest with them. It is just that simple. It's why I don't invest in Microsoft or Netflix.

Your comparison is completely irrelevant though, as I'm talking about depressed areas. Though I suppose next you'll claim that abandoned ware houses and empty lots don't depress property values.
    Your example was of a single abandoned warehouse. So was mine. Depressed areas still result in cheap land for any enterprise to pick up. I'm sick of talking about the exceptions rather than the general rule. If you think a 2% waste in welfare is fine, I think a small waste in real estate is fine too. If it's private property, it's the landholder's prerogative to be fucking stupid about it.

Damn straight I do. I wouldn't expect you to believe DailyKos.
    Research is research. Especially when a simple Google search would have shown you the congressional record on the matter. Now you're just being deliberately obtuse.

More then likely what will happen the US will be brought down by the collapse of Europe which is likely to happen before the collapse of America. The two are connected and when one goes down so goes the other.
    "LET TERROR RAIN!!!" ~ Warcraft III

10+ Year Old Account
    I can only assume that people that think that the U.S. will (in any sort of forseeable future) end up like Greece are not aware that Greece has been poor for a LONG time and simply lied about how bad they were doing to the *entire world* until they could no longer do so.

While the U.S. is in-debt, they have been before and have managed to recover from bad economic periods. Also, it's worth noting that a "bad economic period" in U.S. terms is the equivalent of the best most prosperous times in Greece's history.

Further worth noting that Greece is the size of a small state. A disaster happening to them would be insanely worse if it happened to the U.S. and would thus HAVE to be much worse than it is now to be relevantly comparable.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

10+ Year Old Account
    IT won't i don't know if it's because you are foreign and they don't give you details on your news networks or anything but the economy is getting better and is nowhere near as bad as other countries, you will see the European Union fall way before the US, well besides Germany. And even IF the US economy was to get to a bad point (it's worst point recently was 9% unemployment before everything started getting better which isn't much out of over 250mil citizens) The US has the ability to produce things people need, we have tons of natural resources in reserve if we needed to bail ourselves out.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...-by-month.html
    http://articles.cnn.com/2010-04-04/p..._s=PM:POLITICS
    http://articles.economictimes.indiat...eating-holland
    Last edited by MKing; 2012-02-23 at 03:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    No, you really don't. You can, at best, elect a representative who MIGHT vote the way you want. Corporate ownership is the purest form of direct democracy. Just like in regular government you are allowed to group with other shareholders to form an activist shareholder group (aka: lobbying). Everyone is allowed to speak at general shareholders' meetings. Can't say that about Congress.
    Direct democracy inasmuch as the one who owns the most shares gets the most votes? That's not actually very democratic. I'm not saying it's the wrong way to run things. I know if I owned 30% of a company I'd want 30% of the votes, but democracy is founded on the idea of equal say for all. I wouldn't call corporate ownership democratic in the slightest.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    A majority of the owners of stock of a corporation could take a dump on the minority if they so wished. But again with corporations, the law of competition applies. Good luck on finding investors to buy your stocks if your reputation is that of fucking over minority holders.

A finnish mining company recently fucked over minority holders for the benefit of the big holders. The small owners sold off their shares, stock price plummeted and the big owners are left holding a bag of their own excrement. Gonna take a while to build up reputation again.

Quote Originally Posted by Eothekingslayer View Post
    More then likely what will happen the US will be brought down by the collapse of Europe which is likely to happen before the collapse of America. The two are connected and when one goes down so goes the other.
    We would be hurt by it absolutely, but its hard to figure our economy would entirely collapse. Our trade with Canada alone is almost as large as our total trade with the EU (most of which comes from Germany). Also our trade with the EU isn't balanced. We import more from the EU than we export. Therefore a EU collapse would hurt the US less then a US collapse would hurt the EU.