Big fps drop in skyrim

For the past months I have been playing skyrim at Ultra (the setting it recommended for me when I first loaded up the game), and have been using using lighting replacers, high def texture packs etc. etc. I decided to start completely anew with the release of the creation kit, and so redownloaded skyrim off of steam, and put the same mods I had been using on it. When I loaded up the skyrim launcher, it tells me that now I should be using "high" settings. I turned it up to Ultra, because I had been running ultra at 60 fps, and so saw no reason why it should be different. Upon entering the game however, I had around 10 fps. I switched between windowed and nonwindowed, but it didn't make a difference. I then switched to "high" but that only gives me 20 fps. I am really confused as to why this is happening, and if there is something I can do to get my old fps back, preferably without turning my graphics settings to low.
    My rig is in my signature, and I should say my graphics card is overclocked (stable) as well. Any help at all would be great, and if you need more info, just ask.

I'm gonna be that guy. Make sure your drivers are up to date and that your hardware isn't overheating.

My drivers are updated, and as far as I can tell, there is no option to set Ambient Occlusion from the ATI control panel.

---------- Post added 2012-02-20 at 10:56 AM ----------

OK, now I am even more confused. I just unloaded all my mods, started a new game, then quit out and reloaded them all. Now I get 50 fps on ultra.... 50 is still pretty good, so I'm not going to complain, but I am very confuzzled...