Page 1 of 20
... LastLast
    I don't think it's possible to have a sense of tragedy without having a sense of humor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Chomsky must be so sad. What will he have to write about when big bad America isn't able to go around subjugating all the unfortunate non-Americans anymore?

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    US still preeminent military power on the planet. It is also the largest economy. It has the worst government, except for all the rest. Choosing not to execise that power is less of a decline and more of a realization that times have changed and it is unacceptable on a global stage.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Chomsky must be so sad. What will he have to write about when big bad America isn't able to go around subjugating all the unfortunate non-Americans anymore?
    I don't know... maybe linguistics, philosophy, and cognitive science, as he has been for decades?

10+ Year Old Account
    i feel sad now

*walks to the nearest mcdonalds in another country*

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sad. He's not going to live forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't know... maybe linguistics, philosophy, and cognitive science, as he has been for decades?
    That's right! I forgot that his academic career and not his political writings are what made him one of the most prominent public intellectuals of the 20th century!

Don't get me wrong, the man is brilliant, but he wouldn't be a household name without his outspoken criticism of American foreign policy.

Don't get me wrong, the man is brilliant, but he wouldn't be a household name without his outspoken criticism of American foreign policy.
    I don't see much difference between Chomsky and, say, Ron Paul in their views on foreign policy. In short: hands off. Yet, in my experience at least, many who praise Paul simultaneously hate Chomsky (or vice versa, which is also interesting).

I'm not saying you're one of those at all. Just an observation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't see much difference between Chomsky and, say, Ron Paul in their views on foreign policy. In short: hands off. Yet, in my experience at least, many who praise Paul simultaneously hate Chomsky (or vice versa, which is also interesting).

I'm not saying you're one of those at all. Just an observation.
    I don't care for either of their positions. Somebody is going to run the international system through economic and military preponderance, and it might as well be us. Could you imagine what the world would be like if the US had implemented a Chomsky or Paul foreign policy during the Cold War? We might make occasional missteps, like the Vietnam War, but we're generally a fairly benevolent force in the world. I don't think the same could be said about the USSR.

I don't care for either of their positions. Somebody is going to run the international system through economic and military preponderance, and it might as well be us. Could you imagine what the world would be like if the US had implemented a Chomsky or Paul foreign policy during the Cold War? We might make occasional missteps, like the Vietnam War, but we're generally a fairly benevolent force in the world. I don't think the same could be said about the USSR.
    Are you aware of how many brutal dictatorships the U.S. has placed into power or/and supported (and still supports) ?

Here's a short list. There's more.

Abacha, General Sani - Nigeria
    Amin, Idi - Uganda
    Banzer, Colonel Hugo - Bolivia
    Batista, Fulgencio - Cuba
    Bolkiah, Sir Hassanal - Brunei
    Botha, P.W. - South Africa
    Branco, General Humberto - Brazil
    Cedras, Raoul - Haiti
    Cerezo, Vinicio - Guatemala
    Chiang Kai-Shek - Taiwan
    Cordova, Roberto Suazo - Honduras
    Christiani, Alfredo - El Salvador
    Diem, Ngo Dihn - Vietnam
    Doe, General Samuel - Liberia
    Duvalier, Francois - Haiti
    Duvalier, Jean Claude - Haiti
    Fahd bin'Abdul-'Aziz, King - Saudi Arabia
    Franco, General Francisco - Spain
    Hitler, Adolf - Germany
    Hassan II - Morocco
    Marcos, Ferdinand - Philippines
    Martinez, General Maximiliano - El Salvador
    Mobutu Sese Seko - Zaire
    Noriega, General Manuel - Panama
    Ozal, Turgut - Turkey
    Pahlevi, Shah Mohammed Reza - Iran
    Papadopoulos, George - Greece
    Park Chung Hee - South Korea
    Pinochet, General Augusto - Chile
    Pol Pot - Cambodia
    Rabuka, General Sitiveni - Fiji
    Montt, General Efrain Rios - Guatemala
    Salassie, Halie - Ethiopia
    Salazar, Antonio de Oliveira - Portugal
    Somoza, Anastasio Jr. - Nicaragua
    Somoza, Anastasio, Sr. - Nicaragua
    Smith, Ian - Rhodesia
    Stroessner, Alfredo - Paraguay
    Suharto, General - Indonesia
    Trujillo, Rafael Leonidas - Dominican Republic
    Videla, General Jorge Rafael - Argentina

The U.S. financial and political elites love dictators for strategic reasons. I'm sure that doesn't register in your reality, as you clearly stated, the U.S. is a ''benevolent force'' who fights the ''bad guys''. If it does, well then, it's just an ''an occasional misstep''. Your view of the world is staggeringly simple minded and hence, incorrect.
    Last edited by Deicide; 2012-02-20 at 08:38 PM.
    I don't think it's possible to have a sense of tragedy without having a sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by jazen View Post
    US still preeminent military power on the planet. It is also the largest economy. It has the worst government, except for all the rest. Choosing not to execise that power is less of a decline and more of a realization that times have changed and it is unacceptable on a global stage.
    Just like there are measures for military power and economies, there are measures for the behavior/reliability/corruption of governments. The US isn't usually the top of those lists.

Deleted
    Largest military; yes. Largest economy? No. 4th largest. Richest however? Not a chance, 15th.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    Are you aware of how many brutal dictatorships the U.S. has placed into power or/and supported?

Here's a short list.

Abacha, General Sani - Nigeria
    Amin, Idi - Uganda
    Banzer, Colonel Hugo - Bolivia
    Batista, Fulgencio - Cuba
    Bolkiah, Sir Hassanal - Brunei
    Botha, P.W. - South Africa
    Branco, General Humberto - Brazil
    Cedras, Raoul - Haiti
    Cerezo, Vinicio - Guatemala
    Chiang Kai-Shek - Taiwan
    Cordova, Roberto Suazo - Honduras
    Christiani, Alfredo - El Salvador
    Diem, Ngo Dihn - Vietnam
    Doe, General Samuel - Liberia
    Duvalier, Francois - Haiti
    Duvalier, Jean Claude - Haiti
    Fahd bin'Abdul-'Aziz, King - Saudi Arabia
    Franco, General Francisco - Spain
    Hitler, Adolf - Germany
    Hassan II - Morocco
    Marcos, Ferdinand - Philippines
    Martinez, General Maximiliano - El Salvador
    Mobutu Sese Seko - Zaire
    Noriega, General Manuel - Panama
    Ozal, Turgut - Turkey
    Pahlevi, Shah Mohammed Reza - Iran
    Papadopoulos, George - Greece
    Park Chung Hee - South Korea
    Pinochet, General Augusto - Chile
    Pol Pot - Cambodia
    Rabuka, General Sitiveni - Fiji
    Montt, General Efrain Rios - Guatemala
    Salassie, Halie - Ethiopia
    Salazar, Antonio de Oliveira - Portugal
    Somoza, Anastasio Jr. - Nicaragua
    Somoza, Anastasio, Sr. - Nicaragua
    Smith, Ian - Rhodesia
    Stroessner, Alfredo - Paraguay
    Suharto, General - Indonesia
    Trujillo, Rafael Leonidas - Dominican Republic
    Videla, General Jorge Rafael - Argentina

The U.S. financial and political elites love dictators for strategic reasons. I'm sure that doesn't register in your reality, as you clearly stated, the U.S. is a ''benevolent force'' who fights the ''bad guys''. If it does, well then, it's just an ''an occasional misstep''. Your view of the world is staggeringly simple minded and hence, incorrect.
    I don't feel like wading through your ridiculous list but the fact that you put Haile Selassie on it means you're either a communist, a moron, or both. I don't have time to talk to people whose ideas have already been cast on the ash heap of history.

<Infracted> Post respectfully.
    Last edited by Dacien; 2012-02-20 at 08:36 PM.

OMG I love you! And thank you!

I tell all my dumbass friends this and they think Iam stupid. We are the national currency, we are the only worlds superpower. Out import/export system smashes any countries in the world. It wont be just a change in the US. it will be a huge change in the whole world that every country will have to work out. Not to mention there are a few countries out there way worse off then us. Like Greece.

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    Are you aware of how many brutal dictatorships the U.S. has placed into power or/and supported (and still support) ?
    There you go. I would have stopped at Pol Pot, Marcos, and Pinochet. And I don't think your list is even exhaustive. We were selling weapons to Iran and helicopters to Iraq when they were fighting in the 80's.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't feel like wading through your ridiculous list but the fact that you put Haile Selassie on it means you're either a communist, a moron, or both. I don't have time to talk to people whose ideas have already been cast on the ash heap of history.
    Dissregard his list all you like. US has a huge list of toppling democratically elected governments worldwide cos they either were too leftwing or were not optimal for US corporations.
    Read up a bit on modern history in South America for a starter
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Largest military; yes. Largest economy? No. 4th largest. Richest however? Not a chance, 15th.
    So not really trying to spread a US-centric viewpoint here but the US GDP absolutely dwarfs even the closest competitor, which is China.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by silentk59 View Post
    OMG I love you! And thank you!

I tell all my dumbass friends this and they think Iam stupid. We are the national currency, we are the only worlds superpower. Out import/export system smashes any countries in the world. It wont be just a change in the US. it will be a huge change in the whole world that every country will have to work out. Not to mention there are a few countries out there way worse off then us. Like Greece.
    I'd agree with your friends. You massively over-estimate America's importance. Your economy is only the 4th largest in the world, your GDP per head is 15th; you suffer from much larger amounts of poverty compared to other countries, you're in masses of debt. If America does go down however, it wont' be because of the loss of a trade partner, it'll be because you owed us all so much money that we'll lose with America defaulting; it'll be the Great Depression of 1929 all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Illuwin View Post
    So not really trying to spread a US-centric viewpoint here but the US GDP absolutely dwarfs even the closest competitor, which is China.
    GDP per head per capita. 15th. You do have the largest GDP, but don't rely on that alone as evidence.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh really? Who are the 1st three largest economies? As for richest it all depends on how that is calculated. If you go off of sheer number of rich people the US is hands down the richest- but by per capita, not so much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, what? How is the US economy the 4th largest?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!