Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm currently playing 7 for the first time (this was the first for many Americans apparently since it's what was the catalyst for the genre here) and it's quite fun. I've decided that after I'm done that I'm going to start the series from 1 since I feel it's necessary for me to play the series and watch how it grew and developed. I don't really know what to tell you when it comes to playing it in a certain order, my first was X followed by X-2 and then XIII so as you can tell graphics aren't much of an issue at all seeing as I'm enjoying this first play through of VII.

I'd say to start from 1 and play all the way through but it's really up to you.

---------- Post added 2012-02-24 at 07:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Deng View Post
    I'd start with FF IX, it's certainly above average and it is a mix of the "new" FF and "old" FF titles where new means 6-7-8-10.
    Battle system is ok, characters are like'able, story is a bit on the dark/mature side and the gfx is still not that crappy (with AA).
    This is also the last game with the great Nobuo's soundtrack (which was average compared to 6/7 but sill a mile better than the newer ones).

Personally I loved VI best but I wouldn't start with it now.
    Umm, I'm pretty sure Nobuo worked on X as well...
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

Any of the ones remade for GBA would be a great place to start. If you have some experience with turn-based RPGs though, the absolute best way to start it is FF4. It really begins a lot of the major themes in Final Fantasy and was the first time they had a really strong story. The DS remake updates all of the outdated stuff, makes it more challenging, adds some extra things, and really modernizes it amazingly well, even if the difficulty is a little spiky. It just feels perfectly Final Fantasy. Finally finishing it made me want to go through all the other ones I have all over again.

The worst part to start on would probably be 12, because it's nothing like any of the rest... And 1-3 are all rather unforgiving. The DS remake of 3 is fine, but it feels old. 5 and 6 would be great, as they build upon what 4 did (and 6 really starts the series down the path 7, 8, 10 and 13 took with their atmosphere). 10 would be the place to start if you wanted the closest analog to modern RPGs. Don't bother with the MMOs unless you already love the feeling of a Final Fantasy game, which a new person would not.

Off-topic: The arguments about which title is the best actual game are incredibly pointless and continually disappoint me any time a Final Fantasy discussion pops up.
    Last edited by Caiada; 2012-02-25 at 02:04 AM.

Deleted
    ff7,9,10 are probably the most well known. Of course, they have intruiging gameplay and beautiful storylines, but you might try anyone you like at any order since every ff has a different set and world. But i would recommend to try either FF anthology or ff5 =)

Quote Originally Posted by ElAmigo View Post
    Umm, I'm pretty sure Nobuo worked on X as well...
    Yes, but this was the first FF when he only co-worked on the soundtrack.
    Feral4Life since 2005
    cpu: Intel i9-9900K mobo: ASUS Maximus XI Extreme
    cooling: BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro gpu: ASUS RTX-2080 Ti
    ssd: Samsung 970Pro, 960 Evo, 860 Evo sound: sadly onboard
    case: Silverstone Fortress 2 Limited Edition (WRI) (I love that beauty)
    ram: 32G G.Skill 3200 C14 display: ACER X27 (G-Sync HDR IPS)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Narveid View Post
    Every game has a new universe and a new story, so in itself it does not matter where you begin, but I suggest you start with Final Fantasy 4. FF1-3 is very bland in my opinion, whereas FF4 really focus on the story and character building. Personal favorite is FF9.
    This person knows what they are talking about XD. FF9 is the best game ever.

Deleted
    have to admit im biased to 7 aswell. but look at the facts. not many final fantasys spawned other games and a movie which they later remade to put in 30% more awesomeness. sure dirge of cerberus had a LOT of problems but once ye knew how to work it (which gun was an op oneshot killing machine) you could play through pretty solidly and enjoy the LOVERLY cutscene movies

Try old school Final Fantasy 7, you will like Cloud. Then play Final Fantsy 7 Crisis Core(psp). You will cry, manly tears :*( hehehe
    PS. i dont like Cloud as much after Final Fantasy 7 Crisis Core

Final Fantasy 8 and Final Fantasy 10 were my favorite ones. I love the FF series, almost all of them were great.