Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Every movie/book/comics hero has dead parents.

Almost every made up hero is from incomplete family. For example: Spider-man, Batman, Iron Man, Frodo, Picard, Hellboy and much much more.

Why is it so important for a hero to have dead parents?

I guess no one wants to read about a super hero who still calls mom up.
    The earth is not a cold dead place

I think it's part of somewhat outdated character development....all that these guys are is a product of their own work and drive to do something with their lives. You know, as opposed to having mommy and daddy telling them what to do or taking care of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's easy character development. By having your character doesn't have parents you can easily blame flaws on issues with that. Sometimes it's important for the way the character, like with Batman or Harry Potter.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    mulon(sp, that chinese disney movie)
    both her parents are alive

also light yagami has both parents (until he kinda kills his dad)

but yes overall almost all of them have 1 or no parents.

10+ Year Old Account
    I suppose that goes about how you look at things.

For all Clark Kent knew, the Kents were his parents.
    Peter Parker's parents are never really talked about, but he had a good home-life with his Aunt and Uncle.
    Bruce Wayne's really one of the few who actually experienced the death of his parents.
    Harry Potter's parent's were killed when he was very young, and to be honest the fact that he's so obsessed with them is rather strange given he was like, 1.
    Most of the X-men's parents abandoned them 'cause of the whole mutant thing, I don't know if any of them were explicitly dead.
    Bruce Banner had daddy issues, but really what superhero doesn't?
    Tony Stark doesn't become a hero until he's in his 30's I think, so it's realistic that his parents are dead, though they did die comparatively young(in his 20's).
    Picard's family was actually solidly in one piece until sorta half-way through his career when they all died horribly in a train accident.
    Hellboy is a demon who well...is a demon, demons aren't exactly big on parenthood.

Really I guess it just all depends on how count "dead parents".
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    oh and Hercules in the Disney version at least (actually in the myth i think his mother is actually still alive for the entire length of it)

he had both sets of parents, he even bought his mortal parents a nice house.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Harry Potter's parent's were killed when he was very young, and to be honest the fact that he's so obsessed with them is rather strange given he was like, 1.
    Probably because his foster parents were absolute gits

I have no answer for the OP's question though.

Deleted
    It might have something to do with realism.

Parents would hardly ever allow their child to do things like saving the world, getting themselves in danger etc

However, if the parents are dead , the child suddenly has a lot more freedom.
    (( Aunts and uncles can be taken as substitute parents because they tend to be less protective ))

---------- Post added 2012-02-20 at 09:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    mulon(sp, that chinese disney movie)
    both her parents are alive

also light yagami has both parents (until he kinda kills his dad)

but yes overall almost all of them have 1 or no parents.
    Both of those ''heroes'' ( mulan and Yagami )
    are anti-heroes. They do things that are seen as bad within their world. In such a case the rebellious-child has a different
    purpose.

people like an angsty character with a backstory, nothing is an easier source of angst than dead parents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Many of the men who have held the mantle of Turok have taken that mantle upon themselves while their parents were still living.

Thor has parents...though I can't think of many more.

This is why, basically every hero character has to follow this line either tight or somewhat loose.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monomyth

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matiasve View Post
    It might have something to do with realism.

Parents would hardly ever allow their child to do things like saving the world, getting themselves in danger etc

However, if the parents are dead , the child suddenly has a lot more freedom.
    (( Aunts and uncles can be taken as substitute parents because they tend to be less protective ))

---------- Post added 2012-02-20 at 09:49 PM ----------

Both of those ''heroes'' ( mulan and Yagami )
    are anti-heroes. They do things that are seen as bad within their world. In such a case the rebellious-child has a different
    purpose.
    how is mulan an anti hero

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    how is mulan an anti hero
    Back then woman werent really allowed to join the army ...
    Back then she broke the law

Seems pretty anti-hero

PS: With anti-hero Im not just talking about murderers etc , Im talking about the heroes who are seen as the bad guys within their story, not necessarily by the viewers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matiasve View Post
    Back then woman werent really allowed to join the army ...
    Back then she broke the law

Seems pretty anti-hero

PS: With anti-hero Im not just talking about murderers etc , Im talking about the heroes who are seen as the bad guys within their story, not necessarily by the viewers
    but i dont think she was arrested for it.

Mulan isn't an anti-hero...
    The earth is not a cold dead place

The Young Avengers' parents were still alive. Hells, when discovered, the Avengers even threatened to call their moms and tell them that they were being superheroes.

...So, yeah, take that into consideration. You can read about dead parents, or the villain calling the hero's parents and tattling.
    "It was the product of a mind so twisted, it was actually sprained." -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by nurabsal View Post
    on an aside, i think Bane Falcon might be my hero
    2-2-2012. We shall always remember the day where Paladins ascended through the Light to become GODS.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...entsAreTheBest

Comic book writers aren't exactly the most creative/original bunch.

have you seen the super heroes who's parents are still alive? so lame. no tension, no drama, no angst ridden past. yawn