View Poll Results: Will you miss Guild Wars 1

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    24 32.88%
  • No

    49 67.12%
Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    Mechagnome Mkalafut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    683

    Is anyone else going to miss Guild Wars 1?

    For those of you still play GW1 like myself, or even if you've ever just played it before (For HoM or whatever you did) - are you going to miss Guild Wars 1? It was my first real MMO and though it's definitely dated, I can't help but feel torn with the fact that all the work and time I've put into GW1, all the memories, the maps, the music, the gameplay (it has it's own special charm <3) and everything except nightfall will be gone.

    What do you guys think? Please don't start a flame war. I'm playing GW1 right now waiting for the press videos to be released and the thought popped into my head. Guild Wars has a sort of charm that I really am going to miss.

    Edit: This thread is more of if you play or used to play Guild Wars 1 and will miss the time you spent on it. So if you won't, let's hear why! And if you do I want to know why too :]
    Last edited by Mkalafut; 2012-02-20 at 11:47 AM.

  2. #2
    The Lightbringer jvbastel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Flanders
    Posts
    3,567
    It's impossible for me to miss GW1 since I just played it way too much, hard for me to even play it a bit now.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

  3. #3
    I think the game will still be available to play, wont it?
    And if so, I guess people will keep playing it for HoM that you probably should be able to get after GW2 release? And for people interested in lore and so on.
    Would be strange if they decided to shut down the servers just like that =(

  4. #4
    Mechagnome Mkalafut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    683
    Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    It's impossible for me to miss GW1 since I just played it way too much, hard for me to even play it a bit now.
    I'm sorry to hear that. I actually took a break for ~2 years or so and came back in 2009 playing it "full time." My /age is over 3000 hours too (across all characters, obviously). I just have a massive amount of nostalgia with it I think. I will miss it though.

    ---------- Post added 2012-02-20 at 11:32 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    I think the game will still be available to play, wont it?
    And if so, I guess people will keep playing it for HoM that you probably should be able to get after GW2 release? And for people interested in lore and so on.
    Would be strange if they decided to shut down the servers just like that =(
    They said you can get Hall of Monument rewards up to 6 months after GW2 goes live. I can only come to the conclusion that once that time is up it's bye-bye GW1.

  5. #5
    Nope.
    I'm hoping that GW2 will be superior in every way (they did say they weren't planning on going in a negative direction with any of the features) and if I ever feel the need to pick up GW1 again for whatever reason, I can always.. you know.. pick up GW1 again.. it's not like my account will insta-delete as soon as I enter the GW2, regardless of it being what, 200 years in the future? :P

  6. #6
    Mechagnome Mkalafut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    683
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    Nope.
    I'm hoping that GW2 will be superior in every way (they did say they weren't planning on going in a negative direction with any of the features) and if I ever feel the need to pick up GW1 again for whatever reason, I can always.. you know.. pick up GW1 again.. it's not like my account will insta-delete as soon as I enter the GW2, regardless of it being what, 200 years in the future? :P
    I have no doubt it will be superior. But what have you guys heard about them keeping servers up? I could have sworn I heard that after 6 months they were getting rid of GW1 support.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Mkalafut View Post
    I have no doubt it will be superior. But what have you guys heard about them keeping servers up? I could have sworn I heard that after 6 months they were getting rid of GW1 support.
    If they do, getting rid of support isn't the same as closing the servers.
    Likely just means that they won't be releasing any more GW1 content, and that the tech support for GW1 will be mediocre at best.

  8. #8
    Mechagnome Mkalafut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    683
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    If they do, getting rid of support isn't the same as closing the servers.
    Likely just means that they won't be releasing any more GW1 content, and that the tech support for GW1 will be mediocre at best.
    That's what I meant. My brain is fried. Again I could be wrong - you may not be able to get HoM rewards but still be able to play the game. I have no clue. Regardless I will miss the time I did spend on GW1.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Mkalafut View Post
    I have no doubt it will be superior. But what have you guys heard about them keeping servers up? I could have sworn I heard that after 6 months they were getting rid of GW1 support.
    I think that means they'll stop updating it and putting out expansion content, it'll probably still be active for a good while afterwards since there will inevitably be GW2 players who want to know how it all started and will shell out for GW1 to find out.

  10. #10
    Mechagnome Mkalafut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    683
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickorus View Post
    I think that means they'll stop updating it and putting out expansion content, it'll probably still be active for a good while afterwards since there will inevitably be GW2 players who want to know how it all started and will shell out for GW1 to find out.
    That's neat then if that's the case ^^ We got a bit off topic, now that that's out of the way - how about you. Will you miss the GW1 days?

  11. #11
    I voted yes but it's more or less somewhere right in the middle. Just gonna copy/paste what I wrote from another thread as it sums up my thought on the subject pretty well:

    Guild Wars was my first ever MMO and I still keep in very close contact to this day with some of the friends I met playing that game. Definitely my fondest memories of gaming came from Guild Wars whether it was unwinding after school by jumping in a FoW chest run group on my warrior and then to the group's surprise scampering off to the spider cave and soloing them for shards or clearing UW or the Deeps for the first time with no knowledge of the encounters or what lay around the corner due to nonexistent guides/databases or even holding halls in the middle of the night with my goofball guildies. It seems like such an interesting twist of fate the Guild Wars 2 feels like the perfect MMO for me so far.
    So in short, I relish the memories I had of GW but honestly couldnt get back into the game at this point and expect the same experience.

  12. #12
    Fluffy Kitten Bloodhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    2,339
    I will miss it big time, good times <3

    Tomoko Eternal Life, Kilik Eternal Sun, Eira Frozen Hearted, Ashara Emberlight,
    Vuug The Deceiver, Grash Gravebuilder, Asgaut Divine Soul, Lera Dreamstealer

  13. #13
    Well yeah, if it's about looking back fondly at GW1 then I'd change my answer to yes,
    but the original wording made it sound like "GW1, gone forever. Will you miss it?" Well no, because I wouldn't be playing it anyways. xD

  14. #14
    The Lightbringer jvbastel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Flanders
    Posts
    3,567
    Quote Originally Posted by Mkalafut View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that. I actually took a break for ~2 years or so and came back in 2009 playing it "full time." My /age is over 3000 hours too (across all characters, obviously). I just have a massive amount of nostalgia with it I think. I will miss it though.
    I'll miss the old days of gvg in prophecies, and running UW/FOW when ecto's were 60k. However, after 5k+ hours of the game, I'll be glad to play the sequel
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

  15. #15
    As far as i remember, they said they will keep GW1 servers up as long as people keep playing it, untill the last person.

  16. #16
    Not really, I hated GW1 with a passion for its unbearably horrible controls.

    GW1 controls in a nutshell:

  17. #17
    Definitly going to miss it, Won't miss the grind towards GWAMM tho.

  18. #18
    But they won't shut servers down , will they?

  19. #19
    Loved the first game, but I stopped playing after Factions. I really like persistent world and bumping into people by chance (and for the first time I'm rewarded for playing with others, that'll be nice).

  20. #20
    I won't miss GW1 as I stopped playing shortly after EoTN. I feel like I've gone as far as I want to there and GW2 is all new and exciting with what sounds like truly amazing features.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •